Tribute "Once Upon A Time in Anaheim" - A Duckumentary; June 11th

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
I'm sure many of you have experienced this, but i'd say for about the first 10 to 15 years of this teams history the old guard of fans did nothing but make fun of us and the team, but now the new generation seems far more accepting of the "Mighty Ducks" era, it's beyond time to go back to that logo and and atleast use the color scheme atleast a few times per year, it's time to dump the current logo which is "meh" at best
LA fans were the worse. They’d be calling us a Mickey Mouse team and such. Funny thing is these clowns are now walking around Disneyland with Disneyland t shirts on with the LA logo on it.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
LA fans were the worse. They’d be calling us a Mickey Mouse team and such. Funny thing is these clowns are now walking around Disneyland with Disneyland t shirts on with the LA logo on it.
Funny thing is they called themselves Kings, albeit there is no resemblance whatsoever in Northern America with monarchies (I think), let alone in America. It's a totally made up name/feeling that they wanted to attach themselves to despite being a shitshow for decades (Kings of the bottom?), even with the best player in the World. Kings of cringe if they think that just because Disney they thought they were somewhat superior, lol.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Funny thing is they called themselves Kings, albeit there is no resemblance whatsoever in Northern America with monarchies (I think), let alone in America.
Think again.
Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 7.44.13 AM.png

• Haha
Reactions: Kalv and KelVarnsen

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I'm sure many of you have experienced this, but i'd say for about the first 10 to 15 years of this teams history the old guard of fans did nothing but make fun of us and the team, but now the new generation seems far more accepting of the "Mighty Ducks" era, it's beyond time to go back to that logo and and atleast use the color scheme atleast a few times per year, it's time to dump the current logo which is "meh" at best
when they changed the logo/colors in 06 the entire hockey world was saying thank god. the old mighty ducks logo/colors were shit on from the day they were created up until they changed the look. it took several years or so, but sometime during the mid 2010s you started seeing the nostalgia kick in and fans calling for the team to bring it back. now you basically have 99% of ducks fans who would want to see the old logo/colors back

same exact thing happened with the coyotes, but they actually listened to public opinion and brought back their old look. unfortunately that'll never happen here as long as the samuelis are in charge

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

I totally get where that came from. After all, growing up in SoCal I actually followed the Kings. But overall they were as unsuccessful a franchise as you could ask for, so I know that most of that mocking of the Ducks was just from the inferiority complex of following a team that had always been similarly mocked by fans of traditional markets, and who had resorted to copying team colors of more successful LA sports franchises. They finally felt like they had another franchise to beat up on that was seen as less legit. In the 80s the Kings were in a division with 4 Canadian teams, and pretty much the only teams not seen as hockey markets were LA and StL ... for the longest time LA was the Mickey Mouse team of the NHL.

The reason I switched was that Ducks were a chance for me to get in on the ground floor with a team from day 1, an experience I never had before ... every other team I followed had a history from well before I was born. Whereas with the Ducks I got to say I was a fan from that first night when Wild Wing caught fire and the team got their asses handed to them by Detroit. And I was already used to being seen as a fan of a non-legit team anyway, so that part didn't matter to me at all.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I totally get where that came from. After all, growing up in SoCal I actually followed the Kings. But overall they were as unsuccessful a franchise as you could ask for, so I know that most of that mocking of the Ducks was just from the inferiority complex of following a team that had always been similarly mocked by fans of traditional markets, and who had resorted to copying team colors of more successful LA sports franchises. They finally felt like they had another franchise to beat up on that was seen as less legit. In the 80s the Kings were in a division with 4 Canadian teams, and pretty much the only teams not seen as hockey markets were LA and StL ... for the longest time LA was the Mickey Mouse team of the NHL.

The reason I switched was that Ducks were a chance for me to get in on the ground floor with a team from day 1, an experience I never had before ... every other team I followed had a history from well before I was born. Whereas with the Ducks I got to say I was a fan from that first night when Wild Wing caught fire and the team got their asses handed to them by Detroit. And I was already used to being seen as a fan of a non-legit team anyway, so that part didn't matter to me at all.
I'm in the same boat. My family actually had Kings season seats starting in 85 and I attended many games as a kid where the Kings were wearing Lakers colors and were the laughing stock of the league. We switched to the Ducks from the beginning and had season seats there for many years. It has been an fun ride with the Ducks and I'm happy with the Franchise. There are a lot of memories for the Ducks from those early years!

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949

Funny thing is that their owner needed money so he begged Eisner to get a team. I followed the Kings for a couple of seasons prior to the Ducks but I wasn’t a huge fan. We had an LA Kings store nearby at the time around South Coast Plaza. That stored looked dead most of the time.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Funny thing is that their owner needed money so he begged Eisner to get a team. I followed the Kings for a couple of seasons prior to the Ducks but I wasn’t a huge fan. We had an LA Kings store nearby at the time around South Coast Plaza. That stored looked dead most of the time.

I actually found it harder to root for the Kings as they started compiling ex Oilers. You can't flip a switch and embrace guys you learned to hate, with guys laughing as they were kicking your team's butt. Made the switch to Anaheim easier in a lot of ways, despite the increased on ice success.

But the LA fans who mocked the Ducks as if they had become part of the old boys club was more funny to me than anything else. As someone who also follows an O6 team, I can assure them they were not seen that way, pre or post 90s expansion.

Pre Ducks I did go to a Kings store once, and saw Tomas Sandstorm in there with some family. Amazingly, not one other fan in the store recognized him. He was hard to miss, he was a pretty big guy in person.

Reactions: Arthuros

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I enjoyed it but it also felt like they really rushed through the story too quickly. I guess if they had to compress it into an hour then that was about as in-depth as they could have possibly gotten.

Agree, 1 hour wasn't enough. Like they didn't even go in to acquiring Jiggy, Rucchin being a catalyst for Kariya-Selanne, Salei, etc.

Oh man I loved this documentary. 2003 was such a high and low. I was at game 4 against Detroit when Rucchin scored in OT and also in attendance for game 6 against the Devils. That Kariya goal was the greatest goal I’ve witnessed in person. Game 7 I watched at the Pond and stupid Fox 11 interviewed after we lost. Great to see Paul, Teemu, Giggy, and Rucchin in this.

I was at the game about 8 rows up from where the hit took place as a kid and will always remember Kariya's breathe fogging up his visor, one of the most vivid memories I have to this day. Going from like traumatized to excitement in half a second.

Overall I think the documentary set out what it intended to do, but it should have been extended and more in depth. Also wish they would've done more of a transition to the cup winning team, but I understand that it was more focused on Disney and the origin.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I was at the game about 8 rows up from where the hit took place as a kid and will always remember Kariya's breathe fogging up his visor, one of the most vivid memories I have to this day. Going from like traumatized to excitement in half a second.

I was lucky enough to be at every home game during that playoff run. The only other game I attended that year was in preseason ... I was one of about a dozen fans in the upper deck, it was sad, I'd been to ECHL games with bigger crowds. Had no idea how different things were gonna be in that building just a few months later.

That Kariya moment was great, but for me the moments of '03 that stuck out in my mind were:

1) the OT goal to beat Detroit ... pure blissful insanity.

2) the Ozo goal to beat Dallas. I was so drained by the end of that game, I stood around afterwards just staring at the ice in disbelief that we were actually going to the WCF; just a year earlier I had accepted the possibility that the Ducks might be one of those franchises that never has any success at all, so it all felt quite surreal. I didn't leave until the lights were starting to turn off, and the parking lot was like 90% empty.

3) the Stumpy OT goal ... that was the first moment I really felt like the Cup was a genuine possibility.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I was lucky enough to be at every home game during that playoff run. The only other game I attended that year was in preseason ... I was one of about a dozen fans in the upper deck, it was sad, I'd been to ECHL games with bigger crowds. Had no idea how different things were gonna be in that building just a few months later.

That Kariya moment was great, but for me the moments of '03 that stuck out in my mind were:

1) the OT goal to beat Detroit ... pure blissful insanity.

2) the Ozo goal to beat Dallas. I was so drained by the end of that game, I stood around afterwards just staring at the ice in disbelief that we were actually going to the WCF; just a year earlier I had accepted the possibility that the Ducks might be one of those franchises that never has any success at all, so it all felt quite surreal. I didn't leave until the lights were starting to turn off, and the parking lot was like 90% empty.

3) the Stumpy OT goal ... that was the first moment I really felt like the Cup was a genuine possibility.
the thomas OT goal and the sykora goal in the 5th OT against dallas were my two favorite goals from those playoffs

still love steve levy's call on the sykora goal. "THE GAME THAT WOULD NOT END...JUST HAS"

Reactions: lwvs84

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
the thomas OT goal and the sykora goal in the 5th OT against dallas were my two favorite goals from those playoffs

still love steve levy's call on the sykora goal. "THE GAME THAT WOULD NOT END...JUST HAS"
Lol I saw him in the bathroom during game 6 of the SCF and just said hey Steve Levy. Kinda awkward place to say hello but oh well.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
It was very surface stuff. Was hoping for more retrospection and deeper insight vs just a retelling of the story we all know.

Loved Teemu's subtle jab about the refs favoring the wings.
He isn’t really wrong about that. That whole era of the Red Wings up until Lidstrom retired, they got absurd favoritism from the refs. It didn’t matter who they were playing, you were also going to have to beat the refs to overcome Detroit

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
After watching, my question is how in the world does the city of Anaheim move forward with a publicly funded project like the pond a 17,000 seat venue (that at the time was a quarter billion dollar project) with out having a major tenant to occupy the building first??

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
He isn’t really wrong about that. That whole era of the Red Wings up until Lidstrom retired, they got absurd favoritism from the refs. It didn’t matter who they were playing, you were also going to have to beat the refs to overcome Detroit
Red Wings fans were so defensive about that. Everyone, fans and players could see it, was blatantly obvious.

When the Ducks beat them despite that in 07 it was absolutely delicious. Detroit got favourable reffing in 09 as well.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
After watching, my question is how in the world does the city of Anaheim move forward with a publicly funded project like the pond a 17,000 seat venue (that at the time was a quarter billion dollar project) with out having a major tenant to occupy the building first??

Clippers? I think they played there for a bit but I could be wrong.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I called them the Red Yankees for a reason. They were the NY Yankees of American Hockey teams, 'Americas Team' as the media seemed to treat them.

Seems like Detroit had 20 minutes of 5 on 3 PP in the series clinching game in 07 lol. I swear some of the penalties weren't even close to being a penalty, like if Parros/Moen made just 'eye contact' with one of Detroits HOFers Lidstrom/Datsyuk they'd blow the whistle for a roughing penalty.
Red Wings fans were so defensive about that. Everyone, fans and players could see it, was blatantly obvious.

When the Ducks beat them despite that in 07 it was absolutely delicious. Detroit got favourable reffing in 09 as well.
The refs were trying too hard to get 'Americas Team' another cup. The Red Wings signed Rafalski in the offseason to build one of the most stacked Ds ever. Lidstrom/Rafalski/Kronwall as their top 3D is as good as it gets. Comparable to Nieds/Pronger/Beauch. Not sure how it compares to Makar/Toews/Girard/Byram. Keith/Campbell/Seabrook was pretty good too.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
there's numerous examples of cities building arenas to attract major pro teams. tropicana field in tampa sat there for 8 years before they were awarded an expansion MLB franchise. KC built the sprint center well over a decade ago in an attempt to attract a NHL and/or NBA team and that hasn't happened (and probably won't)

like when dan cleary scored the winning goal in game 7 by pushing hiller's pad in with his stick? that still pisses me off to no end

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad