Tribute "Once Upon A Time in Anaheim" - A Duckumentary; June 11th

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Really looking forward to this..

I was going to pose this question in the HOH sub forum, but for any ‘old timers’ here, was Eisner involved with drafting or day to day transactions?

the whole Disney era before the cap is so murky to me. A huge conglomerate like Disney was basically putting little money to make the team competitive

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Really looking forward to this..

I was going to pose this question in the HOH sub forum, but for any ‘old timers’ here, was Eisner involved with drafting or day to day transactions?

the whole Disney era before the cap is so murky to me. A huge conglomerate like Disney was basically putting little money to make the team competitive
No, Tony Tavares was the Disney guy in charge of both the Angels and Ducks. He was the decision maker, not Eisner.

Reactions: Terry Yake

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
No, Tony Tavares was the Disney guy in charge of both the Angels and Ducks. He was the decision maker, not Eisner.
Yeah, Eisner was pretty much hands off.

Disney ownership was terrible. They only wanted to use the team as a tie-in to their movies and didn't want to put the resources into the team beyond paying Kariya and Selanne. After the shine of the new toy wore off, they definitely ran the team on the cheap. They weren't into the ownership of the team for the long haul.

It would have been better if Norm Green didn't get blocked from moving the North Stars to Anaheim by Bruce McNall, who was Chairman of the BOG at the time, and the NHL. But the grifter was desperate for $$$$ and convinced Eisner that Disney should pitch a new Anaheim franchise to the NHL so he could get the expansion fees (and a bigger share of that pie than the other NHL owners at that), and for Disney to pay him an annual fee for going into his market. McNall wouldn't have gotten the expansion fees if the North Stars were relocated to Anaheim.

Reactions: Terry Yake

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
03 draft was the turning point for the franchise
Bryan Murray was the GM who drafted Getzlaf and Perry.

Murray changed the culture of the organization by beefing up the hockey staff (scouts, video coach, training facilities) and he also hired Mike Babcock to be the coach after he was coaching for the Ducks AHL team in Cincinnati (I can't remember if Murray hired Babcock for the Cincinnati coaching position or if that was Gauthier).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The early 00s were a wasteland. The Ducks didn't start to turn things around until they hired Bryan Murray and then when Disney sold the team.

Agreed with Bryan Murray. I think that's when I started watching hockey. Bryan started off as our head coach and figured out what we were missing. When he became GM, his trades and drafting helped us out tremendously.

Bryan's legacy was saved when the Oil mgmt was petty to where it reneged on a trade that would have sent prospect Perry and a 2004 first round pick for smallish center Comrie. I'm so glad that trade never went through!

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Agreed with Bryan Murray. I think that's when I started watching hockey. Bryan started off as our head coach and figured out what we were missing. When he became GM, his trades and drafting helped us out tremendously.

Pre-Murray was rough, but I'm not gonna dump on Jack Ferreira too much. The personnel moves were actually okay given the financial constraints. And he did parlay Tverdovsky and Kilger into Selanne ... funny thing is if Hfboards had existed back then people probably would have said it was too much to give up. In fact some folks back then did just that.

Kariya's contract situation was horribly mismanaged though. PK wanted a short term, team wanted long term ... yet in the end they gave him a short term deal AND got no discount for it. Worst of both worlds, and set us up for the one year qualifying offer problem where he became way overpaid. He should have been dealt instead of Selanne, one of those big money teams would have way overpaid in a trade for him with both picks and young players.

I'd also say the expansion draft setup didn't help ... unlike the new teams now who got some decent players, teams like us and SJ really were practically starting from scratch because there really wasn't much to pick from. Throw in some bad drafting (except '96) and it was tough to get anywhere.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
Someone mentioned it in another thread, but it's cool to see how involved Kariya seems to be in this documentary and the organization generally after such a long time out of the game.
I'm very surprised in Kariya's recent about face in terms of being involved with the team and NHL after he retired. After he retired, he rarely did any media for a long time. Right around the time concussions/CTE were getting serious attention by the NHL and media, he slowly started talking to the media about his struggles and opening up. Then in the last few years he has been involved with team operations. Great to see.

Reactions: lwvs84

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Someone mentioned it in another thread, but it's cool to see how involved Kariya seems to be in this documentary and the organization generally after such a long time out of the game.
I wonder what the catalyst was in getting him back involved with the game and the team. I'm sure Teemu had something to do with it, but I'm curious if there was anyone/anything else.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I wonder what the catalyst was in getting him back involved with the game and the team. I'm sure Teemu had something to do with it, but I'm curious if there was anyone/anything else.
i think teemu was the main reason why he decided to return to hockey. he wanted nothing to do with the game for years and i can't really blame him considering how much he went through during his career with regards to concussions/head injuries

it's a shame he didn't enter the league after the 04 lockout when speed became a priority and the talentless goons were slowly done away with. no doubt he would've been a perennial hart candidate

Reactions: GermanRocket7

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I honestly think part of it was he wasn’t sure how he’d be received by the fan base after how he left.

But the reception he got when he showed up for something… Selanne’s number being retired? I think that swayed him quite a bit.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I honestly think part of it was he wasn’t sure how he’d be received by the fan base after how he left.

But the reception he got when he showed up for something… Selanne’s number being retired? I think that swayed him quite a bit.
I don’t even think he was there for that. I remember he was at Selanne’s last regular season game(sitting in the Avs box with Sakic) but legitimately I think his first appearance in any kind of team-related capacity was in that Paint it orange video in the 2017 playoffs.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I don’t even think he was there for that. I remember he was at Selanne’s last regular season game(sitting in the Avs box with Sakic) but legitimately I think his first appearance in any kind of team-related capacity was in that Paint it orange video in the 2017 playoffs.
Gotcha. That was just a guess as to what he was there for. But I do remember being at a game he showed up for, and he received a huge ovation when he was shown on the jumbotron. So that's what I was referring to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad