Line Combos: Once Thornton and Robertson return

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Robertson to Peterborough. Why lose a year of control for a fraction of a season in a limited role? Its a Cap world people and moves that don't really improve you on the ice can cost you big in a couple of years when re-signing a player. My best Nick scenario was he forces his way into a middle 6 role and gets a critical season of development rewarding the club with a big playoff. That is pretty much gone coming off the injury. He has no momentum now and the 11 - 2 club has no incentive to screw with a winning lineup. There are a bunch of players who's grass he might mow given the opportunity but I think its a training camp 2021 thing for him to do that now.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I mean JT and Nylander are both point a game guys. I'm not sure you are going to squeeze much more offense out of them. I know the plan is for Joe to go back with the M's which leaves insane possibilities for the 3rd and 4rth lines. I'm a bit puzzled by rumors we wanted another forward. Presumably we want a physical defensive guy to help our PK (which is bad) but at the expense of who?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Robertson to Peterborough. Why lose a year of control for a fraction of a season in a limited role? Its a Cap world people and moves that don't really improve you on the ice can cost you big in a couple of years when re-signing a player. My best Nick scenario was he forces his way into a middle 6 role and gets a critical season of development rewarding the club with a big playoff. That is pretty much gone coming off the injury. He has no momentum now and the 11 - 2 club has no incentive to screw with a winning lineup. There are a bunch of players who's grass he might mow given the opportunity but I think its a training camp 2021 thing for him to do that now.

When is the OHL playing games? I hear there is talk of making Kingston a Hub but currently the OHL is not an option.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Robertson helps us win now. Easy improvement over Vesey.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman Matthews Marner
Nylander Tavares Simmonds
Kerfoot Thornton Mikheyev (shutdown line not expecting a lot of offence)
Engvall Spezza Boyd
Robertson

Last edited:
Reactions: Atomos2

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Robertson helps us win now. Easy improvement over Vesey.

We hope that, we don't know it.
When is the OHL playing games? I hear there is talk of making Kingston a Hub but currently the OHL is not an option.

As of 4 days ago they want a season but are not specific on why the dates keep getting pushed. I guess they are waiting for the go ahead from the Province. The Q seems to be doing well enough but I wonder is the unbalanced games played reflects Covid interuptions. I think it could happen quickly once they have the word.

Still no OHL start date, but league boss David Branch 'optimistic' | London Free Press

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
And no chance we can send him to the AHL right? Not saying we would want to, but could benefit him to get some competitive game action there before returning
Yep, he's in a weird limbo. All he can do right now is train/play with us. I'm hoping the league works something out for all the lost contract years this season is forcing.

Reactions: glue

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Last edited:
Reactions: glue

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
With the top line clicking I'm guessing he'll give Thornton a chance to hopefully try and juice that 2nd line a bit. Hopefully it works.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Thornton-Tavares-Nylander
Engvall-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Petan-Boyd-Spezza

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Hyman Matthews Marner
Nylander Tavares Simmonds
Kerfoot Thornton Mikheyev (shutdown line not expecting a lot of offence)
Engvall Spezza Boyd
Robertson

Mostly I agree especially because Vesey isn't on your team, God he's awful.

I sorta liked a lot about the #1 line before Thornton's injury so Thornton/AM/MM looked like a great combo, AM and MM were scoring fine with Thornton, moving Hyman up with them made him more offensively productive but hasn't affected their pace.

I liked the possibility of Simmonds/JT/WN, Simmonds might still be an effective offensive weapon and he is a true physical presence in TO's top 6 forwards!

Kerfoot or Mikheyev/Spezza/Hyman, defensively sound players with a faceoff beast, Spezza is still a vital offensive playa, this might be an excellent 2nd line on most teams.

Mikheyev or Kerfoot/Engvall/Petan, Engvall needs to be benched occasionally to be every game that he plays effective and he is effective when motivated, Petan is the same, Mikheyev had a brutal start to the season, he was totally ineffective like he was in the playoff qualifier but he's come alive as of late.

Kerfoot is just there, effective, I don't think so, he should be the major piece that TO could use to stimulate a trade.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don’t think that will hurt him.

For those of us that don't want him to burn a year as a spare part on the big club this is huge and his NHL fate is in his hands. If he overpowers the AHL there is no argument for sending him back to Junior to get a bit bigger and more complete. I want to see what he can do there as a big minute go to guy as the Marlies lineup seems to desperately need him right now.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hyman Matthews Marner
Thornton Tavares Nylander
Robertson Spezza Petan
Mik Boyd Engvall

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Hyman- Matthews - marner
Kerfoot- Tavares- nylander
Mikheyev - Thornton- robertson
Simmonds- spezza

continue rotating the d until someone inevitably gets injured. I don’t like kerfoot at C. He worked well with JT and nylander in the past

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Thornton - Simmonds
Vesey - Spezza - Mikheyev
ex. Boyd

Line #1 - The perfect line a mucker - shooter - playmaker and it has defensive chops and grit.
Line #2 - Tavares and Nylander insulate Robertson with high level talent and it provides some youthful energy.
Line #3 - Foot and Thornton can alternate in the middle and it packs an appropriate amount of bottom of the lineup grit.
Line # 4 - That's an above average 4th line no matter how you slice it up. It should have no problem driving possession and scoring at an above average clip.
Extra - Boyd looks like he can play. Money puck. Put him where you need him.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
For the Ottawa series:

Hyman Matthews Marner
Engvall Tavares Mik (dump & chase line)
Petan Spezza Nylander (rush line)
Boyd Kerfoot Vesey

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Thornton is back on the top line.....guess he wants to get that second line going with hyman there.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
For the Ottawa series:

Hyman Matthews Marner
Engvall Tavares Mik (dump & chase line)
Petan Spezza Nylander (rush line)
Boyd Kerfoot Vesey
that second line is terrible. They would generate zero offence. Like seeing vesey moved down the lineup though

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
It sucks knowing that if Robertson was on the second line with JT feeding him he would light it up. I get the whole not wanting to waste a year of control, but he would change our whole top 6 and push others down the lineup.

I would put Jumbo in the bottom 6 and keep Hyman on the top line. If we trade for a winger it would want Rakell.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Roberston Taveres Nylander
Rakell Thorton Mik
Simmonds Boyd Spezza

Reactions: Captain14

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
It sucks knowing that if Robertson was on the second line with JT feeding him he would light it up. I get the whole not wanting to waste a year of control, but he would change our whole top 6 and push others down the lineup.

I would put Jumbo in the bottom 6 and keep Hyman on the top line. If we trade for a winger it would want Rakell.

Hyman Matthews Marner
Roberston Taveres Nylander
Rakell Thorton Mik
Simmonds Boyd Spezza
He's just getting tuned up with the Marlies, Robby will be back up in a week or two I bet

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Yeah it looks more like a conditioning stint then anything.
Not gonna lie, I thought Marlies would be boring but now I'm realizing they have all of Robertson, Sandin and Liljegren on the roster, not to mention Ian Scott in goal. Could just be fun watching those 4 for a couple weeks until promotions happen.

I'm very happy Thornton is drawing back in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad