Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Engvall
Simmonds - Thornton - Spezza

I'd like to see this for a couple/3 games when Simmonds comes back.

No more lengthy injuries please.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Kerfoot - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Thornton - Mikheyev
Engvall - Spezza - Boyd/Vesey
Not bad, people forget Kerfoot played his best hockey for us when on the wing with JT and Bill. He’s crap on the draw, ineffective down low, seems to work better on the wing for me. Thornton on the first line isn’t going to cut it, primarily because he needs shifts off and why throw the lines off just to accommodate something that doesn’t need to happen? Hyman with the first line always works, Mitch and he also PK together, again easy transition. Simmonds has proven he can play top 9, so that’s the wildcard when he comes back.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Hyman has to be on a line with goal scorers - Matthews or Tavares at center. His strength is puck retrieval and banging in goals in close. He'd be wasted if not playing with finishers.
? He's shown on a line with Tavares.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Leafs would be foolish not to try Robertson on line 2

As long as we recognize that 2nd line was on for more goals against then for last season. We can get all excited about Robertson's offense,
but will the line be productive AND stop the opposition? Has he really proven himself at both ends of the rink yet?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
in time, it should look like this,

robertson - matthews - marner
hyman - tavares - nylander
thornton - kerfoot - mikheyev
vesey - spezza - simmonds

that time could be coming

Reactions: Tmart335

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Dont think we're going to want to see Thornton in the top 6.

Agreed, but the beauty of Keefe is he sends his players over the boards with a plan to succeed. Score, how much time left in the period...to a tv time out.

he will pull Thornton out of his spot appropriately throughout the game.

Reactions: zeke

definedMF

Apr 19, 2013
Big Yellow Joint
in time, it should look like this,

robertson - matthews - marner
hyman - tavares - nylander
thornton - kerfoot - mikheyev
vesey - spezza - simmonds

that time could be coming
boyd instead of vesey and you got it

something like this:

hyman/thronton - matthews - marner
nylander - tavares - simmonds/robertson
thornton/hyman - kerfoot - mikheyev
robertson/simmonds - spezza- boyd

engvall-petan-brooks-barabanov-vesey

muzzin - holl
rielly - brodie
dermott - bogosian
lehtonen - sandin

Andersen
Campbell

Last edited:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Leafs need a top 6 lw. Leafs have Robertson. I think its only fair that before we go out and get a player that we try Robertson first. The Thornton and simmonds arent going to be able to play that high up in the lineup for extended periods of time either.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Simmonds - Kerfoot - Thornton
Mikheyev - Boyd - Spezza
Engvall/Barabanov/Petan as the extras. Vesey can kick rocks. Mikheyev gets extra minutes here and there.

Reactions: Captain14

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I actually think Thornton stylistically could work better on that 2nd line, but I guess it depends how he looks after coming back from injury. Wouldn't mind trying:

Thornton - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Kerfoot - Mikyehev
XXX - Spezza - XXX

XXX could be Engvall, Petan, Boyd, Vesey, or Barabanov. Man, we have depth. And we still have Simmonds coming back.

First line is just magic already. 'Nuff said.
Second line puts Thornton with two shooters. All three are good at protecting the puck, and could play a more grind-it-out style.
Third line hits them with the speed. Kerfoot and Mikyehev help insulate the rookie defensively, and they can open up space for a talented shooter.
4th line rotates and brings varying qualities depending on opponent, needs, rest, etc.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I also think a 4th line of

Robertson - Thornton - Spezza

Would be a whole lotta fun and might be the perfect way to get Robertson's feet wet in the NHL.

Of course, this would mean Simmonds moves up to the 3rd or even 2nd line when he probably shouldn't - but then again I have to give him credit he's actually been pretty decent in his brief time on both those lines.

So maybe I go:

Nylander - Tavares - Simmonds/Mikheyev
Engvall - Kerfoot - Mikheyev/Simmonds
Robertson - Thornton - Spezza

Of course simmonds isn't back for a while so maybe Vesey keeps filling in there, or maybe you move Boyd/Petan up or give Anderson another shot.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I noticed in the few games I’ve seen him in, Robertson shoots almost anytime he is in position. It’s fine when he is successful at it, but if he’s on a line with other shooters, it’s going to reduce their chances. Jumbo and/or Kerfoot might work well with him,

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Thornton-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Vesey-Spezza Boyd/Engvall/Simmonds

Reactions: Buds17

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I noticed in the few games I’ve seen him in, Robertson shoots almost anytime he is in position. It’s fine when he is successful at it, but if he’s on a line with other shooters, it’s going to reduce their chances. Jumbo and/or Kerfoot might work well with him,

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Thornton-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Vesey-Spezza Boyd/Engvall/Simmonds

This is also why I keep trying to put Robertson on a line with challenged shooters, at least just Kerfoot. :laugh:

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I dont think we should burn a year off of Robertson's ELC unless absolutely necessary. Also I think they should give Thornton a look with Tavares and Nylander.

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I dont think we should burn a year off of Robertson's ELC unless absolutely necessary. Also I think they should give Thornton a look with Tavares and Nylander.

What you are saying is 100% correct but I think our lineup would be easily better with Nick in it. Sure some hiccups at first but as he gets comfortable he would SNIPE. It adds a whole other dimension to our lineup.

Reactions: frizzer1

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I think that Thornton and Tavares are too slow to play together.
So I’d rather see joe with Matthews.
Also Robertson with Tavares.
The third line with Hyman wouldn’t score much but their forechecking could make them a good shutdown line against other teams’s top lines

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Keep Hyman on the first line, hes a big reason Tavares had 47 goals the full year he played with him and Matthews 2 40+ goal seasons. His ability to fetch the puck has given Marner and which ever centre they play with a lot of extra chances.

The guy is a unsung hero, look at the guys ÷/-, I know its a stat that doesnt always tell the full story but damn, its been a long time since a leaf has consistently put that up.

Call me crazy but for now I'd have some interest in this for now

Same 1st Line
Kerfoot - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Thornton - Robertson
4th line will be rotating

I'd like try the combo of Thornton dishing to Robertson with a work horse like Miky. Could be the secondary scoring we need

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad