Line Combos: Once Thornton and Robertson return

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Hard to predict of course which makes it fun :)

Pros and cons to many different possibilities but I’ll say I’d like to see:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Thornton-JT-Nylander
Robertson-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Vesey-Spezza-Boyd

I’m thinking the 2nd and 3rd line both need to get going a bit more at even strength, so perhaps above can shake things up a bit.

Less popular might be that I wouldn’t mind seeing the following, only because Hyman seems to make any line he’s part off awesome:

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-JT-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Vesey-Spezza-Boyd

Feel like we could have 3 very strong lines there. Thornton was starting to develop chemistry with Mitch and Matthews before the injury but really to me the biggest gain is that 3rd line. I also like the idea of Robertson with Willy and JT but he may not be ready yet.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Hard to predict of course which makes it fun :)

Pros and cons to many different possibilities but I’ll say I’d like to see:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Thornton-JT-Nylander
Vesey-Spezza-Boyd

I’m thinking the 2nd and 3rd line both need to get going a bit more at even strength, so perhaps above can shake things up a bit.

Less popular might be that I wouldn’t mind seeing the following, only because Hyman seems to make any line he’s part off awesome:

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-JT-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Vesey-Spezza-Boyd

Feel like we could have 3 very strong lines there. Thornton was starting to develop chemistry with Mitch and Matthews before the injury but really to me the biggest gain is that 3rd line. I also like the idea of Robertson with Willy and JT but he may not be ready yet.

I like that first lineup a lot! When Simmer is healthy again it should bump Vesey right out.

Reactions: Cobra777

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I like that first lineup a lot! When Simmer is healthy again it should bump Vesey right out.

I have no issue with Vesey per say cause he’s doing things well away from the puck, however he definitely needs to start being better offensively and with Simmonds coming back he may be the one who has to sit out indeed.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
My only concern with the 3rd line (Hyman, Kerfoot, Soup) is that they won't score unless its by accident. Well Hyman might score but the other two won't. They will dominate possession and shut down the other team's top line so there is that.

Not sure where you put Simmond when he comes back but by then someone else will be out of the lineup.

Reactions: glue

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I have no issue with Vesey per say cause he’s doing things well away from the puck, however he definitely needs to start being better offensively and with Simmonds coming back he may be the one who has to sit out indeed.

Yeah he has been decent away from the puck. I also just want more from him offensively.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Fully healthy

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Simmonds
Vesey/Engvall/Petan-Spezza/Thornton/Boyd-Spezza/Boyd

Preferably we upgrade one of Engvall/Vesey through trade.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Vesey-Spezza-Petan/Boyd

or

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Thornton-Tavares-Nylander
Vesey-Spezza-Petan/Boyd

or

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-Thornton-Mikheyev
Vesey-Spezza-Petan/Boyd

When Simmonds is back I'd put him on L3 whatever that might be and drop Mikheyev to L4, if we make an acquisition too then Vesey out of lineup.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Why do people have Joe so low? He was a beast before he got injured.

OPs first set of lines are the right answer IMO. If we don't make a move, I'd like to see us hit the playoffs with:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Thornton-JT-Nylander
Simmonds-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Robertson-Spezza-Boyd

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Thornton-Tavares-Nylander
Vesey-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Spezza-Boyd-Simmonds (There's flexibility with this line. Wouldn't mind Engvall in here, though I suppose waiver considerations could be at play. Robertson should also be an option at times.)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Thornton feeding goal scorers like Tavares and Nylander will help get them going even more, I mean they are hovering at or around a point a game, but they have been quiet on the goal front lately.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Thornton Matthews Marner
Simmonds Kerfoot Nylander
Hyman Tavares Mikheyev
Robinson or Vesey Spezza Boyd

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Thornton Matthews Marner
Simmonds Kerfoot Nylander
Hyman Tavares Mikheyev
Robinson or Vesey Spezza Boyd
Hyman has to be on a line with goal scorers - Matthews or Tavares at center. His strength is puck retrieval and banging in goals in close. He'd be wasted if not playing with finishers.

Reactions: Buds17

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
In favour of trading for a Rickard Rackell type player and running...

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Rackell
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Simmonds
Thornton-Spezza-Robertson
Boyd-Petan

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander
Thornton - Kerfoot - Robertson
Vesey - Boyd - Spezza

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Statistically, Thornton with Matthews/Marner was one of the best lines so far this year.
Kerfoot and the rotation of wings he currently has are not dangerous, give him some talent.
Simmonds is not good at 5v5, he is good at punch face and the PP.
Vesey has been good enough to stay in, he is a neutral player while playing against top lines.

Thornton - Matthews - Marner
Mikheyev - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Kerfoot - Hyman
Vesey - Spezza - Simmonds

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogo

Andersen
Campbell

Spread out the talent, we have enough of it. Matthews/Marner don't need Hyman. I don't even think Matthews needs Marner, to be honest, you could put two average players on his wing and it is still a first line.

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
Thornton Matthews Marner
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Mikheyev Kerfoot Hyman
Boyd/Engvall Spezza Simmonds

Top line was gelling and looked good before Jumbo went down. Better vision than Hyman and can help the cycle.

I think Robertson can bring good energy to Tavares and Nylander. I feel like this line could do some damage with favourable matchups.

I've liked Boyd/Engvall over Vesey up to this point. If Engvall can stay out of the box to actually help PK he brings way more than Vesey who shouldn't see the top 6 imo and doesn't bring enough energy to the bottom 6.

Run the 3rd line as a shutdown line and the 4th has some sneaky skill and toughness in Simmonds, should be a solid bottom 6 with safe minutes that can chip in some offense.

Reactions: frizzer1 and glue

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I think Petan could play his way into Veseys spot for the time being but close enough. If we're worried about the 12th forward that's a good thing.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner -too good
Thornton-Tavares-Nylander -Thornton is still good, fits well here imo, and nobody seems to want this spot.
Petan-Boyd-Spezza

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Robertson - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Engvall
Simmonds - Thornton - Spezza

Exactly this for me... I'll also advocate for a bit of squad rotation on that 4th line to get Boyd and Joey Anderson some minutes from time to time. I don't think Joe or Spezza would complain to much with extra rest. Even Petan has looked good and should get in some games.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Read that Thornton was on the left side of Tavares and Nylander, not opposed to seeing how this could work... But if I had to guess, pairing Thornton with Tavares could be a bad idea given how both their skating isn’t very ideal.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Kerfoot - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Thornton - Mikheyev
Engvall - Spezza - Boyd/Vesey

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Hyman/Thornton - Matthews - Marner
Hyman/Thornton - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Engvall/vesey - Spezza - Boyd/petan

put Hyman with the center that needs to get going and Thornton with the center who is on his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad