Once again bottom of the league in PP opportunities

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
My guess US if you averaged 5-10 years you would find most teams would gravitate towards the mean for any given year because there us an ebb and flow. The Bruins mean would still hover well away from the nhl one.

I still don't see it as a conscious conspiracy but I think reputation is a huge reason why and that combined with general incompetence means the Bruins get screwed.

Statistically, I suspect they're about 4 standard deviations from the mean over 6 years. Which should happen about once every 10,000 years.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Statistically, I suspect they're about 4 standard deviations from the mean over 6 years. Which should happen about once every 10,000 years.

How many teams out of 30 have kept the same coach and have not made any change to the system? I can only think of one.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
I'm not blaming the referees for their woes, but you can't tell me that LA commited no infractions last night.

It is not impossible to believe any and all teams could play a game with no penalties against the B's.
The B's do nothing to force the other team to take a penalty.
They don't hit the zone with speed, their passing is never on the tape let alone where a receiving player can get control of it, they don't go to the net and if they do its behind the D which eliminates them from the play, they shoot the puck like pee wee players - always looking for the tip and NEVER making a goalie make a save. They just need to watch the tapes of their own losses to see teams shoot hard for the goalie to try to control the puck only for it to bounce right to the other team for a tap in.
So as you can see , why would any team need to take a penalty. Keep them to the outside and run out the clock.
Duffy in Mineville.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
It is not impossible to believe any and all teams could play a game with no penalties against the B's.
They don't hit the zone with speed, their passing is never on the tape let alone where a receiving player can get control of it, they don't go to the net and if they do its behind the D which eliminates them from the play, they shoot the puck like pee wee players - always looking for the tip and NEVER making a goalie make a save. They just need to watch the tapes of their own losses to see teams shoot hard for the goalie to try to control the puck only for it to bounce right to the other team for a tap in.
So as you can see , why would any team need to take a penalty. Keep them to the outside and run out the clock.
Duffy in Mineville.

Even if that were all true, there is still trips behind the net and in corners as well as pick plays.

Lifting a stick is a hook in this league now.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Duffy in Mineville.

If this were 1986 I'd agree totally, but in today's day and age of over reactive officiating, there is no possible way that any team can play in a competitive 1 or 2 goal game and not commit a penalty.

Especially in a game where their opponent has to kill off a lengthy 5 on 3, caused by such a marginal infraction.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Bruins used to be pretty dominant on 5 on 5 so the PPs were generally a plus...No we can't score and need them... Maybe Claude should tell em skate more with the puck and crash the net./

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
If this were 1986 I'd agree totally, but in today's day and age of over reactive officiating, there is no possible way that any team can play in a competitive 1 or 2 goal game and not commit a penalty.

Especially in a game where their opponent has to kill off a lengthy 5 on 3, caused by such a marginal infraction.

Here's what I don't get on the delay of game. They get 4 officials together to discuss what happened on a fraction of a second play to determine a penalty for something as weak and non-impacting as "delay of game." They don't talk about it like that when a guy gets high sticked. If it wasn't an obvious clear over the glass, then why not error on the side of caution and not effect the game, when the original play surely didn't effect the game?

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
When you constantly preach shooting the puck on net and hope for a deflection or a rebound, your offense is going yo far. That all I hear them talk about. They always do the snap shot in net or shoot wide on purpose. How bout going yo the middle of the ice and shoot on net for once. Let's use some skills once in a while instead of the drone offense.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
0 powerplays last night.

Not sure that was due to anything other than poor play by Bruins. I only watched the the first two periods but the Bruins didn't seem to draw any possible penalties. Kings were dominating us all over the ice. Pretty sure all penalties assessed were deserved too. Sometimes games play out like that.

There are games where the refs just seem to have an inconsistent look at the games. I think there is a component if unconscious bias due to playing style but I also think the refs are inconsistent and often incompetent.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
Not sure that was due to anything other than poor play by Bruins. I only watched the the first two periods but the Bruins didn't seem to draw any possible penalties. Kings were dominating us all over the ice. Pretty sure all penalties assessed were deserved too. Sometimes games play out like that.

There are games where the refs just seem to have an inconsistent look at the games. I think there is a component if unconscious bias due to playing style but I also think the refs are inconsistent and often incompetent.

Bruins carried the play for the major part of the third, I thought.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

I didn't think the calls against were bad at all. Byt I bet if you rewatched that entire game you could find a penalty against la.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I didn't think the calls against were bad at all. Byt I bet if you rewatched that entire game you could find a penalty against la.

Possibly but I don't remember any "How did the refs miss that?" Moments either. I did miss the third though, but I remember at one point in the second thinking the Kings weren't even committing the borderline weak stuff if the refs were inclined to call a penalty against the Kings.

I guess while I think the Bruins often get screwed by bad calls I'm just not convinced the way the penalties panned out in the Kings game is the one to use as evidence of bias.

It's like the people who insist the Brujns/Tampa game 7 that had no penalties was the refs giving Campbell a little extra for his son. Those of us watching the game know that game was called well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad