Once again bottom of the league in PP opportunities

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Why?

I don't get it. When it was a heavy slow team, ok fine. I don't totally buy the team speed angle for drawing penalties, specially when you're a puck possession squad, but we went with that excuse for a while and I swallowed that excuse like a bitter pill.

Now you have shed some of the slowest Bruins, one of our slowest has been injured for a month, and added faster wheels at at least 5 roster spots. Am I supposed to believe that Ottawa and the Flyers are so much faster than us that they have 30 more PP's than us in 20 something games?

Honestly Bruins fans, when does this end? Is it actually going to be a decade of us being in the bottom 10% of the league for PP chances? Statistically that makes no sense.

I'm not a tinfoil guy, but someone has to propose a meaningful explanation, because I'm honestly perplexed. We finally have a half decent PP some nights, and it can never get on the ice!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I agree entirely. I am so sick and tired of them getting screwed by the refs. Maybe our fans need to be trained to overreact each and every time a Bruin gets touched, like they do in Montreal.

One year, two years even three years of getting the short end of the stick, fine. But a decade? Unacceptable!

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
169005198.jpg

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Why?

I don't get it. When it was a heavy slow team, ok fine. I don't totally buy the team speed angle for drawing penalties, specially when you're a puck possession squad, but we went with that excuse for a while and I swallowed that excuse like a bitter pill.

Now you have shed some of the slowest Bruins, one of our slowest has been injured for a month, and added faster wheels at at least 5 roster spots. Am I supposed to believe that Ottawa and the Flyers are so much faster than us that they have 30 more PP's than us in 20 something games?

Honestly Bruins fans, when does this end? Is it actually going to be a decade of us being in the bottom 10% of the league for PP chances? Statistically that makes no sense.

I'm not a tinfoil guy, but someone has to propose a meaningful explanation, because I'm honestly perplexed. We finally have a half decent PP some nights, and it can never get on the ice!

Been like that for years and a big reason why numbers can drop here PPTOI. I think Seguin averages 3:30 PPTOI in Dallas and a little over 2 here.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Why?

Need to recruit a Hab's dive acting coach.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Why?

I really don't think you have to be wearing a tin foil hat here. I don't think there is any planned bias towards any team in the league. It is difficult however to get beyond stereotypes and predisposition. We are the most hated team in the league and we are stereotyped as being a "Big Bad Team". I think the statistics can easily be explained in that manner. It's certainly not a conspiracy or intentional. However if refs grew up hating this team and the team has a certain reputation around the league. It will manifest itself in some manner with the reffing core.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Yeah, there's honestly no good explanation. It's not like we never try to sell calls. We're not the slowest team. We're pretty good in terms of possession. But this keeps happening.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I really don't think you have to be wearing a tin foil hat here. I don't think there is any planned bias towards any team in the league. It is difficult however to get beyond stereotypes and predisposition. We are the most hated team in the league and we are stereotyped as being a "Big Bad Team". I think the statistics can easily be explained in that manner. It's certainly not a conspiracy or intentional. However if refs grew up hating this team and the team has a certain reputation around the league. It will manifest itself in some manner with the reffing core.

Yeah but if it's that simple, that's something Chia can address directly with the league office. There is no room for that in pro sports, the refs are paid to be unbiased. For that to be the explanation going on 6 years now is sort of crazy when you come down to it.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Yeah but if it's that simple, that's something Chia can address directly with the league office. There is no room for that in pro sports, the refs are paid to be unbiased. For that to be the explanation going on 6 years now is sort of crazy when you come down to it.

Not at all, humans are flawed. I've yet to meet someone that doesn't allow a predisposition to play into their decision making process. Marchand has a known history of diving, it is clearly in the minds of officials when he goes down. It's not possible to have 100% unbiased officiating. I would love for Chia to address this issue with the league, but it is typically seen as bad taste to do so.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Slow isn't an excuse because of the amount of offensive cycling we do with the puck -- that alone *should * draw penalties.

And how often do our defensemen start a rush from behind our net while being hooked, tripped, and held (especially Chara)? This leads to awful turnovers and scoring chances for the other team and no PP for us.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I wish there were an easy way to track this but, rather than looking at overall numbers, I think it would be more useful to break the numbers down more thoroughly.

What I mean is how often do teams reach their average amount of times short against us?

How often do we give a team their average number of power plays?

It seems pretty likely to me that much more often than not, a given team will not be killing off their usual number of power plays vs. the Bruins and it's almost as often that they will get more power play chances than usual.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Slow isn't an excuse because of the amount of offensive cycling we do with the puck -- that alone *should * draw penalties.

And how often do our defensemen start a rush from behind our net while being hooked, tripped, and held (especially Chara)? This leads to awful turnovers and scoring chances for the other team and no PP for us.

Sorry what are you suggesting here....that there is a league wide conspiracy against the Bruins? These posts are always so dumb.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada
Refs hate Marchand and Lucic now too apparently. Bruin's are the black sheep of the NHL.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
People are going to cry about the refs, or that the team doesn't dive. In reality, they have no elite offensive forwards who can beat a defender with speed while skating with and without the puck. Cycling is one thing, but most cycles by the B's are really nothing more than attempts to push the puck back to their d. There's very little skating happening on most of their board play, and you can't draw a penalty call standing still. Basically, it's the positioning of the system that limits the PP chances from ever happening.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Brief look at the last 10 games the Bruins played.

Jets

Average TS 3.84
Vs. Boston. 3

Average PP 3.32
VS. Boston. 5

Pitts

Average TS 3.63
Vs. Boston 2

Average PP 3.31
Vs. Boston 3

Mon

Average TS 3.62
VS. Boston 2

Average PP 2.75
Vs. Boston 3

Columbus

Average TS 3.65
vs. Boston 1

Average PP 3.86
vs. Boston 2

St. L
Average TS 2.91
vs. Boston 1

Average PP 3.52
vs. Boston 2

Car
Average TS 2.81
vs. Boston 2

Average PP 3.2
vs. Boston 3

Montreal
Average TS 3.62
vs. Boston 3

Average PP 2.75
vs. Boston 5

Toronto
Average TS 3.45
vs. Boston 3

Average PP 3.68
vs. Boston 4

NJ
Average TS 3.95
vs. Boston 1

Average PP 3
vs. Boston 0

Edmonton
Average TS 3.08
vs. Boston 4

Average PP 3.12
vs. Boston 5

Only a 10 game sample but of the last 10 games their opponent had to kill penalties less times than their average 9 times.
They had less power plays than their average on 5 occasions.

Again, it's only a small sample but I find it curious that 90% opponents apparently committed less penalties than their average against the B's.

Last edited:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
People are going to cry about the refs, or that the team doesn't dive. In reality, they have no elite offensive forwards who can beat a defender with speed while skating with and without the puck. Cycling is one thing, but most cycles by the B's are really nothing more than attempts to push the puck back to their d. There's very little skating happening on most of their board play, and you can't draw a penalty call standing still. Basically, it's the positioning of the system that limits the PP chances from ever happening.

Uh huh.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Exactly. Can't draw a call if you aren't moving your legs. But people want to pretend there's some great bias or agenda against the Bruins. There's not.

I'd agree if I didn't see infractions go uncalled against the B's as frequently as I do, while at the same time seeing weak calls go against them as often as they do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad