on Twitter: Helping Fans Make Sense of This Season

DaveT83*

Tradign for Bolland
Picking up Clarkson at that cap hit

Resigning Bozak
Resiging Kessel
Resiging Dion
Using buyouts on Grabo + Komi

Unfortunately none of this suggests patience - it actually suggests the complete opposite.
This offseason the team was in "Win Now Mode"

So to suggest that fans shouldn't be upset with the results is incorrect.

Convenient to always fall back on the "hey we shouldn't expect anything when nothing turns up" though.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I would argue the rebuild didn't start until Brian Burke arrived.

Whatever John Ferguson Jr. was doing during his tenure - it wasn't rebuilding.

I'm with you... but even Burke didn't do a full rebuild.

If things keep going the way they have been, your poor son will be on here in a couple of decades saying "I would argue the rebuild didn't really start until Nonis arrived" :laugh:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
:leafs
cox.jpg
:leafs

"Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 8m
If you projected the Leafs as being top four in the conference this season, then sure, I guess you could make a case for firing the coach."

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 6m
Just wanting the Leafs to be better isn't enough. They just don't have the talent. Don't have a No. 1 goalie. Part of mushy middle."

Please Fans. Be sensible. This was never a team that would challenge in the East or go more than 1 playoff round (if they made the post-season). They are a bubble team this season. Those that aren't wearing rose coloured glasses will tell you: "They're not that good". If you were fooled by their start to the season you'll probably be never fooled again.

Come on. You can't imagine this team with young goalies, a poor defence, and lack of strength down the middle as one that could challenge for top spot in the East.

I wish they were better, but they're not.

This is a cap maxed team, this team had to shed 10 million to make it under the cap.

What exactly are we paying for?

jamesdolla

Dec 3, 2013
Toronto
what are you talking about?

Bernier only has 93 NHL games and Reimer only 123.

that's not enough to call them anything yet.

How can you explain them being a top save % team then? If anything, the goalies are the least of their worries. It's the horrible talent level.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
being a "bubble" team or whatever is fine but if you are that kind of team and you hardly every play well even in victories which tend to be shootout victories then you probably shouldn't be focused on locking up your "core" long term for big bucks.

this is a "bubble team" that acted like a contender in the summer and has continued to act like one during the season.

jamesdolla

Dec 3, 2013
Toronto
being a "bubble" team or whatever is fine but if you are that kind of team and you hardly every play well even in victories which tend to be shootout victories then you probably shouldn't be focused on locking up your "core" long term for big bucks.

this is a "bubble team" that acted like a contender in the summer and has continued to act like one during the season.

Yes, exactly. any decent talent evaluator could see it's a 2nd round playoff team tops. I think the only reason we made the playoffs last year was because it was such a good draft that everyone had to tank. Everyone got the BIG PICTURE but us.. As per usual with our sad sports teams in this city.

ForSpareParts*

How can you explain them being a top save % team then? If anything, the goalies are the least of their worries. It's the horrible talent level.

It doesn't mean anything. You can give me all the stats you like. Reimer and Bernier still need time. They need to get through rough patches, playoff defeats, back to back wins, etc.

Both of them could be Raycrofts for all we know. They need to keep playing. No one is going to annoint them as starters yet. They show potential, but so what?

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Damien Cox is the worst sort of media idiot. He has no sources so he just speculates about ****. He just observes and blabs, the worst part is that fair weather fans will actually listen to what he says. Guess what Damien! I have two eyes and have actually watched leaf games this year, I'm applying for your job right now.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
i don't disagree with him
my concern is securing a core long term that hasn't been able to accomplish those things

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Maple Leafs: Depth on full display as team climbs into first: Cox

October 26, 2013

First place in the conference, a one-two goalie punch most teams would love to have and the decision to make the star right winger the highest-paid player in team history looking like good business indeed.

That’s been the story all season for the Leafs, one player filling for another, with only 10 players having skated in every game.

It’s the kind of story that could take a team a long way.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Maple Leafs: Depth on full display as team climbs into first: Cox

October 26, 2013

He clearly has no delusions of integrity, nor attempts to establish any.

Kinda like last year where one day he was like "Tade Kessel!" and then a month later "Give Kessel 64 million dollars!"

Feb 24, 2004
Dear Damien:

We all agree the team is not very talented. I'm curious though - who selected the players?

Thanks.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think expectations were too high.

Being a bubble team was mostly the expectation, maybe some were pushing the top 3 in the Atlantic, either way, we are not playing like either.

We are playing like a lottery team, a team that consistenly gives up over 30-35 shots a game, far too many over 40 shots, and with a very lack luster work ethic on most nights.

If they were playing a bit better overall but still had the same record, I think some would lay off. But we have only played really well in a handful of games and that's not even exaggerating it.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I don't think expectations were too high.

Being a bubble team was mostly the expectation, maybe some were pushing the top 3 in the Atlantic, either way, we are not playing like either.

We are playing like a lottery team, a team that consistenly gives up over 30-35 shots a game, far too many over 40 shots, and with a very lack luster work ethic on most nights.

If they were playing a bit better overall but still had the same record, I think some would lay off. But we have only played really well in a handful of games and that's not even exaggerating it.

I don't think majority of fans were prepared for a potential step back (miss the playoffs)

Can't imagine MLSE is either after seeing that potential

Durkin67

Dear Damien:

We all agree the team is not very talented. I'm curious though - who selected the players?

Thanks.

I dont get this mentality at all.

Kessel, JvR, Lupul, Kadri, Bernier, Phaneuf: six very attractive pieces (all first rounders)

Bolland, Clarkson Raymond, Franson: 4 valuable secondary pieces

Holland, Ashton, Gardiner, Rielly: 4 very desirable young pieces

The problem isnt lack of talent. Or satisfactory role players.

I see two problems:

1. Time. Like a good sauce, in which the ingredients need to simmer together, this group, all at various stages in their development, need to put it together as a cohesive unit.

2. Buy-in and commitment to the system. If guys arent going to finish checks, engage in board battles, drive the net or forecheck consistently, they are simply failing to execute.

So, you decide whether or not you believe strongly enough in your system and the man responsible for implementing it and make the personnel adjustments you need to make, or you hit the panic button and try to motivate the present group by placating them with a coaching change which allows the players to determine what kind of strategy they play.

Feb 24, 2004
I dont get this mentality at all.

Kessel, JvR, Lupul, Kadri, Bernier, Phaneuf: six very attractive pieces (all first rounders)

Bolland, Clarkson Raymond, Franson: 4 valuable secondary pieces

Holland, Ashton, Gardiner, Rielly: 4 very desirable young pieces

The problem isnt lack of talent. Or satisfactory role players.

I see two problems:

1. Time. Like a good sauce, in which the ingredients need to simmer together, this group, all at various stages in their development, need to put it together as a cohesive unit.

2. Buy-in and commitment to the system. If guys arent going to finish checks, engage in board battles, drive the net or forecheck consistently, they are simply failing to execute.

So, you decide whether or not you believe strongly enough in your system and the man responsible for implementing it and make the personnel adjustments you need to make, or you hit the panic button and try to motivate the present group by placating them with a coaching change which allows the players to determine what kind of strategy they play.

I completely disagree with your assessment of our players, but that's irrelevant here. Cox was the one saying that the team just isn't very good. So I was curious who was responsible for making this team not very good?

Number13

May 21, 2007
Lupul, JVR, Kadri, Kessel are as talented as msot teams top 4 forwards, its a joke to say we have no talent. Bernier and Reimer are both NHL starting goalies as well.

But, it seems the team has given up on Carlyle. The tough love works for awhile, but it wears on players and eventually it loses its punch. I like Carlyle, and his systems are very effective, we've seen how good they are when they're working. But the players simply aren't executing them anymore, it's the only real change, but it's a change that makes all difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00