on Twitter: Helping Fans Make Sense of This Season

ForSpareParts*

:leafs
cox.jpg
:leafs

"Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 8m
If you projected the Leafs as being top four in the conference this season, then sure, I guess you could make a case for firing the coach."

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 6m
Just wanting the Leafs to be better isn't enough. They just don't have the talent. Don't have a No. 1 goalie. Part of mushy middle."

Please Fans. Be sensible. This was never a team that would challenge in the East or go more than 1 playoff round (if they made the post-season). They are a bubble team this season. Those that aren't wearing rose coloured glasses will tell you: "They're not that good". If you were fooled by their start to the season you'll probably be never fooled again.

Come on. You can't imagine this team with young goalies, a poor defence, and lack of strength down the middle as one that could challenge for top spot in the East.

I wish they were better, but they're not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Dont have a #1 goalie...we have two #1 goalies.

Goaltending isn't the problem.

The number of shots that they see is a HUGE problem.

ForSpareParts*

what are you talking about?

Bernier only has 93 NHL games and Reimer only 123.

that's not enough to call them anything yet.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
You never go full Damien Cox.

That's like quoting the back of a hotwheels box when you have engine problems.

Last edited:

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto

Typical fan boy response. Both are still unproven, fluky and inconsistent. 1 game they look like quick or price etc than the next game they look like Andrew raycroft. Don't over-hype them. The team in whole is the problem. I guess you can say management and the fan base are the problem too.

Last edited:

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Yeah, it's our fault for expecting a team that's been rebuilding for a decade to be more than a bubble playoff team. Man, us fans are so selfish.

ungentrified

Jan 18, 2013
The whole world's gone a bit topsy-turvy this season if we are all of a sudden believing Cox has sage advice.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
Most fans didn't expect them to be top 4.

The problem is that they're playing like they're bottom 4.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

no **** they're not that good.

but they're also a horribly coached team too. it's not like you can only be one.

ForSpareParts*

One more and I'll hang up and listen:

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 10m
Don't get me wrong. Carlyle has to accept his share of the responsibility here. But the talent/experience just isn't there on this team.

tinfoilcup

Feb 10, 2004
Yes Damien. All of the great goaltending, team play and wins earlier this season were just an anomaly. Some other players besides Leafs must have been wearing those uniforms. Dopplegangers perhaps? Also... all of last season and taking the mighty Bruins to 7 games was pure trickery. It never happened. All of us were experiencing a mass delusion all of this time. You are right of course...

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
no **** they're not that good.

but they're also a horribly coached team too. it's not like you can only be one.

I'm really interested as to how you think they're horribly coached?

This is a team that was a top PP and PK team last year... And took Boston to 7 games. That would indicate the systems put in play by coaches were good if not excellent.

Do you think Randy and co came in this year and said "let's throw those systems out the window?"

It's a joke to blame the coach, he can only do so much. These are grown ass men, execute the system or retire

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Why is damien saying we dont have a #1 goaltender?? Id say thats probably the best part of our team right now is our goaltending tandem

Everything in front has massive holes

leafsfan2

Jan 4, 2007
Markham,ON

This is a team that was a top PP and PK team last year... And took Boston to 7 games. That would indicate the systems put in play by coaches were good if not excellent.

Do you think Randy and co came in this year and said "let's throw those systems out the window?"

It's a joke to blame the coach, he can only do so much. These are grown ass men, execute the system or retire

why quoting last season to prove his is coaching well this season. Last season was only 48 games too. So just half a season not something i would pin my hope to. Still i do get you cant blame the coach on everything but i dont see him putting this team in a position to succeed.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Didn't Buffalo fire their coach? Weren't they projected to be the worst in the league and yet they still fired their coach? Who cares what the projection is, if the coach isn't getting the job done, he should go.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Very simple. A good coach will look at his roster and build his system based on his players. The Leaf roster is built for open ice, offensive hockey. Carlyle is forcing them to play a system that minimizes their strengths and magnifies their weaknesses.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
The problem is that WE GET OUTSHOT TOO MUCH

Were getting outshot by an average of 10 shots a game, In an 82 game season our goalies need to make an additional 820 saves. Idiot coaching has caused this team to rely on its goalies, you can pick fingers and blame the defense or forwards, whatever you want, the main problem is that Carlyle employs a flawed system that gives up shots as fast as Kessel can eat cookies

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
Cox is a dummy who has been against the grain and always says stuff to get views.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Very simple. A good coach will look at his roster and build his system based on his players. The Leaf roster is built for open ice, offensive hockey. Carlyle is forcing them to play a system that minimizes their strengths and magnifies their weaknesses.

Isn't the GM to blame the ?

This team won last year with the same system, and performed well.
And then the GM makes a ton of changes.

I think this team is still playing hard for Randy. Guys like Clarkson, Lupul, Phaneuf, Kulemin and Bozam ka the so called "Carlyle type players" are still working their ***** off, but making mistakes

It's the guys whose compete has been ever questioned that have disappeared... Kessel, JVR, Kadro, Franson Who are listless.

Again this is on the players not the coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad