Post-Game Talk: on to the next

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
The flu is never the flu. I can tell you for a fact that everyone on the team gets flu shots. Flu is a catch all for anything and everything.

:laugh:

So you're saying that everytime a team announces that a player has the flue, they are lying?

just because you get a flu shot doesn't mean you are 100% immune to getting the flu

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan

So you're saying that everytime a team announces that a player has the flue, they are lying?

just because you get a flu shot doesn't mean you are 100% immune to getting the flu

As a side, flu shot was reported to be less than 20% effective this year.

Anyway, there's smoke there.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Well, there's flu and then there's "flu". Lots of things get called "flu" that aren't, really. It's not like you hear too many PR guys saying "Yeah, Bob wasn't feeling well enough to play today because he's got norovirus." I'd bet over half the "flu" reports are actually norovirus, aka "stomach flu".

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well, there's flu and then there's "flu". Lots of things get called "flu" that aren't, really. It's not like you hear too many PR guys saying "Yeah, Bob wasn't feeling well enough to play today because he's got norovirus." I'd bet over half the "flu" reports are actually norovirus, aka "stomach flu".

I don't really consider that to be dishonest, though. Guy's sick, and the flu is an apt descriptor. I don't really doubt Howard was sick.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Regarding those lines Khan's tweeted, I wonder where Helm would slot in if we're healthy. If Pulkkinen looks good on the Datsyuk line (assuming that's where he's being placed), I'd really like to see Miller sat and running a fourth line of Helm-Glendening-Jurco. faster, more physical, and I don't see a loss on the PK subbing Helm into Miller's spot.

f1seb

Apr 7, 2007
If I remember correctly Theo Fleury was out with the flu a lot.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Glendening on first line? Hope that's just a place holder, otherwise, Babcock's gone full Babcock.

I see now that it is for Pulkkinen. Scared me a bit there, ha.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
After the game vs Rangers 1-1, Babcock said he wanted the team to tighten it up and then the team goes and allows 5.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
A bust? Really? We're not talking about a top 5 pick here. The kid was drafted in the 2nd round. He wasn't a can't miss prospect by any means. We all saw the high end talent and I believe he still has it, we'll see what happens. It's not like Pulkkinen comes up and sets the world on fire, is he a bust? Say what you want about Jurco's projected upside he is an NHL hockey player. Kid can play up and down the lineup and grind with the best of them.

A 2nd round pick that was still drafted much too high. His point totals in juniors were highly inflated. He plays a plug role on a team that has no shortage of plugs. In this team's current situation, there should be no reason why Jurco plays and Pulkkinen doesn't. Period.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

#1 You are 100% (meaning you have an acquired cellular immune response that stems from previous exposure to an antigen) immune from the influenza viruses you are vaccinated against. You aren't immune to influenza viruses that weren't in the vaccine or that you haven't been exposed to in the past. There is a reason why April and May are the months with the lowest rates if influenza, it's because the proliferating strains tend to have infected everyone that they can and the herd immunity is high enough that it can no longer find enough new hosts to maintain the outbreak.

#2 In the NHL, and any professional league honesty when talking about an injury isn't a virtue. Flu is a catch all for anything from colds to mental fatigue. Why would you give the adversary good information?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
the term "flu" is so overused and misused its not funny.

9 times out of 10 people have a "cold" but it sounds wussy to say that so the severity of it is ramped up by saying the "flu."

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Glendening on first line? Hope that's just a place holder, otherwise, Babcock's gone full Babcock.

I see now that it is for Pulkkinen. Scared me a bit there, ha.

Weiss should be moved up to the top 6. Let him earn his paycheck. The Weiss-Sheahan-Nyquist line hasn't been impressive the past few games.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
the term "flu" is so overused and misused its not funny.

9 times out of 10 people have a "cold" but it sounds wussy to say that so the severity of it is ramped up by saying the "flu."

Let's not forget about the "babcock flu." I can see Smith coming down with a realgud case of it pretty soon.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Weiss should be moved ... right into the press box, until he can be moved to another team. He's the worst player the Wings have.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Weiss should be moved ... right into the press box, until he can be moved to another team. He's the worst player the Wings have.

He's fallen to Earth after his nice start to the year, that's for sure. Two points in the last 15 games.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
#1 You are 100% (meaning you have an acquired cellular immune response that stems from previous exposure to an antigen) immune from the influenza viruses you are vaccinated against. You aren't immune to influenza viruses that weren't in the vaccine or that you haven't been exposed to in the past. There is a reason why April and May are the months with the lowest rates if influenza, it's because the proliferating strains tend to have infected everyone that they can and the herd immunity is high enough that it can no longer find enough new hosts to maintain the outbreak.

#2 In the NHL, and any professional league honesty when talking about an injury isn't a virtue. Flu is a catch all for anything from colds to mental fatigue. Why would you give the adversary good information?

agreed. but you original post implied that nhl players never get the flu because they get shots, which is not the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad