OT: On this episode of Days of the OT..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I got the "We regret to inform you" letter from the potential new employer yesterday. ****ing bull****. My qualifications are exactly what they're looking for and I NAILED the interview.

Eh, my wife has run into this looking at jobs as well.

Sometimes, the job posts aren't real. They've already got someone in mind, they waste a few people's time in the name of due diligence, and hire the person they were going to hire before they made the job posting. Don't sweat it, keep looking.

27 years in Buffalo, 5 years in Seattle, 2 years in Charlotte. Next stop...Raleigh.

Man, you move almost as much as I do.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Eh, my wife has run into this looking at jobs as well.

Sometimes, the job posts aren't real. They've already got someone in mind, they waste a few people's time in the name of due diligence, and hire the person they were going to hire before they made the job posting. Don't sweat it, keep looking.

Man, you move almost as much as I do.

I get bored easily. :laugh:

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
My parents and her parents are always asking us when the grandkids are coming. I always worry about who is going to take care of us when we get older and sick. It's a really tough decision.
Worrying about who would look after you two in old age would be quite a selfish reason to have children. No offence. I understand your concern.

What I can't understand is married couples who don't want children. No life experience compares with having a family. (Maybe fighting in a war, but I'm fortunately ignorant about that.)

Putting it in terms most here can appreciate ... Don't you want to be out on the ice with your kids someday, teaching them to skate and shoot and check?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Worrying about who would look after you two in old age would be quite a selfish reason to have children. No offence. I understand your concern.

What I can't understand is married couples who don't want children. No life experience compares with having a family. (Maybe fighting in a war, but I'm fortunately ignorant about that.)

Putting it in terms most here can appreciate ... Don't you want to be out on the ice with your kids someday, teaching them to skate and shoot and check?
There is really no point to getting married unless you are going to have children.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
My parents and her parents are always asking us when the grandkids are coming. I always worry about who is going to take care of us when we get older and sick. It's a really tough decision.
If it's any "consolation", there's no guarantee if you had kids that one or more of them would willingly care for you. I've seen the full spectrum of willing, reluctant, and unwilling offspring. Feuds between parents and sibling(s). Feuds between siblings.

I will say that if you remain childless, your closest friend set will likely be biased toward childless couples, as they'll continue to have the money / time / flexibility to travel, eat out, etc. At least that's what I've seen with the childless and child-rearing couple I've observed.

Lastly, if your mom is going through stage IV cancer, deal with that as priority. Once you become pregnant with your first, your time / priorities will be consumed with that until your first newborn is ~6 months old. If you've already had a couple kids, I'd say you'd be able to handle cancer in the family without too much hiccup.

FWIW, I learned after my dad passed (young) that my folks wanted a large family, six kids or more. Right after I was born, my mom's older sister was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia, went into experimental treatments, and at the time of her death was the longest surviving case (this was 50 years ago at Roswell). My folks put their family plans on hold after my sister and brother were born, and my aunt died. My mom then often took care of my four (older) cousins regularly (at their house). After a few years my uncle remarried and was in a better situation as regards my cousins, etc. Then my dad went on medical disability and any hopes of additional siblings in our family ended. Point of the story is this - if anyone is thinking there's an ideal time in life to have kids, there's no guarantee your "plan" aligns with God's will / fate / whatever you personally call it. So, don't be afraid to have kids, or don't fear if you have a surprise pregnancy. Don't fear if you have a high risk pregnancy. Don't fear leaving young kids behind if you have cancer. Don't fear if a loved one has cancer. Don't fear growing old. Don't fear growing old without kids. All that fear is good for is motivating you to act / plan / love / care while you are able. Beyond that, it's needless anxiety.

@Chainshot is fond of Gord Downie and the Tragically Hip. I like their song "Courage". Courage is always needed over fear, no matter where / how it comes from, and whether or not you think it's "enough".

Make sure you have a good plan and save for future care. I don’t think children should have to care for aging parents but it happens.
Agreed. Also, I'd be exceptionally conservative in planning for future. If you're 31/32 today, and American, I'd assume full Social Security eligibility is age 70 or older. I'd assume reduced benefits in future in today's dollars. I'd assume investments returns are 1-2% higher at most than inflation rate / cost of living. I'd assume health insurance and health care costs continue to rise at multiples of the inflation rate / cost of living. I'd assume medicaid asset claw-back amounts and look-back timeframes grow larger / longer. etc.,

Has there always been a fish in the HFBoards logo? And also why?
It looks like a puffer fish. Combined with a breast cancer awareness pink ribbon.

Sucks man. I quit my job and am moving back to Buffalo with no definite job and no apartment. Maybe I'm just a moron. Just couldn't bring myself to sign another lease here in Syracuse.
Nah. If you don't have a family to support, what's the worry? Better to live where you wish than to be employed where you don't wish to live. Holds true across a wide range of income / prosperity.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
There is really no point to getting married unless you are going to have children.
Replace "getting married" with "life" afaic.

Whether the lowliest pauper, the wealthiest titan of commerce, the creator of the most sublime works of art, or the leader of a powerful nation, one's true mission in life is to perpetuate the species. We flatter and delude ourselves to think otherwise.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Whether the lowliest pauper, the wealthiest titan of commerce, the creator of the most sublime works of art, or the leader of a powerful nation, one's true mission in life is to perpetuate the species. We flatter and delude ourselves to think otherwise.
Well, I'm all for that mission having occasional interludes of good hockey, quality craft beer, and a few annual tries at a showpiece vegetable / flower garden & landscaping, no matter how large or small. Can't just screw your life away indiscriminately.

I'd argue mission / meaning in earthly life is service to others - for whom and how that manifests varies across individuals.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Well, I'm all for that mission having occasional interludes of good hockey, quality craft beer, and a few annual tries at a showpiece vegetable / flower garden & landscaping, no matter how large or small. Can't just screw your life away indiscriminately.
Indeed. There's a lot of life to be lived around the fleeting moments of fulfilling the biological imperative.

I'll be pleased if the recommended "hard pruning" actually does produce a bigger tomato crop this season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's a tribute to the late Fugu.

I didn't know her except as a fellow poster, but her passing was a huge personal blow to many members here, especially among the mods.

I miss her every single day. Awesome woman, great friend and I regret that her cancer interrupted her and her husband from having a trip to CR when I was there. Never met in person, but we talked a lot over the years.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It's a tribute to the late Fugu.

I didn't know her except as a fellow poster, but her passing was a huge personal blow to many members here, especially among the mods.
Makes sense. The ribbon is a nice touch. We've all been effected in one way or another. Thank you.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'd lost 10 lbs between Thanksgiving and January, kept it off until Easter, and have put that 10 back on since ~May. I need to work out. I've invented a workout I'm calling "Sabres '18-19". I like being outdoors - I don't understand the point of sweating inside. Here are the basic exercises, and how they are alternated into a routine:

1. 4x "Conor Shearys" - Sprint 1/3 distance across backyard, fall down into a burpee, rise, sprint next 1/3 distance across backyard, fall down into burpee, rise, sprint last 1/3 distance across backyard, fall down into burpee. Rise. Reverse direction and repeat for 2nd Conor Sheary. Rise. Reverse direction and repeat for 3rd Conor Sheary. Then 4th.
2. 4x "Vlad Sobotkas" - Find squirrel in backyard. Chase it around for 45 seconds. If no squirrel in sight, substitute a bird, butterfly, or my own shadow. Repeat 4x or until squirrel / bird / shadow scores, whichever comes first.
3. 4x "Rasmus Ristolainens" - Flip tire over as many times as possible in 30 seconds (mine aren't big - maybe 215 R16's, but have rims). When timer expires, take hockey stick and cross-check a heavy-bag suspended from a tree limb for 5 or 6 whacks. Yell. Grin. Repeat.

Between each repeated exercise in a set do 1x "Housley".
Between each set of disparate exercise do 4x "Housleys".
"Housley" = rest dispassionately & befuddled with arms folded on chest for 15 seconds.

Total time ~25 minutes. If workout running long and not complete after 25 minutes, suspend remaining exercises and finish with 1x "Berglund" where you just quit and go inside.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It’s kind of weird, it’s the two-year anniversary of moving and setting up an apartment in Gainesville, and here I am sorting through my possessions in my old apartment to move things out. Weird.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

We've been married 10 years and don't really have a desire to have children. I think about how much work they are and how much freedom I'd lose. I hear kids cry in the airport, at the restaurant, and at the store throwing temper tantrums. I just couldn't handle that, sounds miserable. Not to mention the financial investment each child has. I also am very impromptu with my traveling. I go on 4-5 trips a year around the world and can leave within weeks. If we have children that wouldn't be able to happen. I believe freedom of time is equivalent to happiness in the 31 years I've been on this planet. Once in a while I think about training my kid to skate, but then I think about the hard work to raise and the current environment in the school systems these days.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We've been married 10 years and don't really have a desire to have children. I think about how much work they are and how much freedom I'd lose. I hear kids cry in the airport, at the restaurant, and at the store throwing temper tantrums. I just couldn't handle that, sounds miserable. Not to mention the financial investment each child has. I also am very impromptu with my traveling. I go on 4-5 trips a year around the world and can leave within weeks. If we have children that wouldn't be able to happen. I believe freedom of time is equivalent to happiness in the 31 years I've been on this planet. Once in a while I think about training my kid to skate, but then I think about the hard work to raise and the current environment in the school systems these days.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to have kids.

In fact, it is the responsible decision to not have kids if you aren't 100% sure you want to have kids and are willing to make the sacrifices it will take to be a good parent.

Live the life that makes you and your wife as happy as possible. Don't live life based on what other people say makes them happy.

Some people want to have kids. Some people just want to be awesome aunts or uncles.

It's like a million other things in life where some people like one thing and other people like another.

Do you and forget the noise.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

I feel like this world is overpopulated already. Cities are crowded, traffic is everywhere, peace is hard to find with so many people everywhere. Not to mention the climatic effects it's having.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I feel like this world is overpopulated already. Cities are crowded, traffic is everywhere, peace is hard to find with so many people everywhere. Not to mention the climatic effects it's having.

Cities may be overcrowded.

But, peace is easy to find if you get out of the city.

And there has never been a better era to live in if you want to live off of the beaten path.

Reactions: EichHart

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
This sounds like rationalization to me.

Look, mate, it's your (you and your wife) decision, obviously, but you seem to dwell on the negative aspects of child-rearing. I assure you the satisfaction you'll experience will far exceed the inevitable challenges you'll encounter. Your parents sacrificed for you, as did theirs. Don't be too hard on them for wanting you to do likewise, and provide them the joy of having grandchildren to love.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
This sounds like rationalization to me.

Look, mate, it's your (you and your wife) decision, obviously, but you seem to dwell on the negative aspects of child-rearing. I assure you the satisfaction you'll experience will far exceed the inevitable challenges you'll encounter. Your parents sacrificed for you, as did theirs. Don't be too hard on them for wanting you to do likewise, and provide them the joy of having grandchildren to love.

My parents are terrible example of parents. They should have never had kids. Their both alcoholics in and out of rehab with multiple DWIS and mom has cancer because of her drinking issues. They put themselves over their children. Good families now a days are far and few between.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
My parents are terrible example of parents. They should have never had kids. Their both alcoholics in and out of rehab with multiple DWIS and mom has cancer because of her drinking issues. They put themselves over their children. Good families now a days are far and few between.
That's rough, man.

My dad certainly let booze get the better of him, but he stole 30 quality years of life by putting that behind him after a serious health scare. My always sober mother has her faults, as we all do, but is selflessly devoted to her family. I'm thankful for how I was raised.

Can we put a positive spin on this by stating you came out of it relatively whole?

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
not sure why I'm posting this here, but it seems my landlords are gonna sell the house that I'm living in. I got a good chunk of cash saved up for a down payment and I think I'm gonna buy it before they go to market. It's a double but it needs a lot of work (windows need to be stripped and repainted pretty much throughout the whole house, also gotta fix up the sash windows, same with the front porch, prolly half of the floors need to be sanded down and refinished, then smaller stuff like repainting the interior and fixing some messed up plaster in both of the units.... And more too, but that seems like the big stuff). Roof is good, so are the rest of the innards.

Anyways, the house isn't gonna lose value and I'm just wasting money renting.... So why not eh? The mortgage wouldn't be bad and I'll have the extra rental income from the downstairs peeps to throw back into the house. Exciting to think about. I hope it happens

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
if you’ve come out of that whole enough, you know how you do and don’t want to raise kids, so if you & your wife ever change your mind, don’t feel like you’re destined to pattern your parents behavior

not sure why I'm posting this here, but it seems my landlords are gonna sell the house that I'm living in. I got a good chunk of cash saved up for a down payment and I think I'm gonna buy it before they go to market. It's a double but it needs a lot of work (windows need to be stripped and repainted pretty much throughout the whole house, also gotta fix up the sash windows, same with the front porch, prolly half of the floors need to be sanded down and refinished, then smaller stuff like repainting the interior and fixing some messed up plaster in both of the units.... And more too, but that seems like the big stuff). Roof is good, so are the rest of the innards.

Anyways, the house isn't gonna lose value and I'm just wasting money renting.... So why not eh? The mortgage wouldn't be bad and I'll have the extra rental income from the downstairs peeps to throw back into the house. Exciting to think about. I hope it happens
all that stuff is cosmetic. If the foundation roof plumbing heating etc is good / modern don’t worry about it. Look at the kitchens baths etc as that’s where upgrade costs will eventually be.

Unless NYS law has changed, you are allowed to rent the other half of an owner-occupied duplex or upper/lower to anyone you wish. You are not bound by “fair housing” laws and can “discriminate” all you wish.

Reactions: Jim Bob

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
all that stuff is cosmetic. If the foundation roof plumbing heating etc is good / modern don’t worry about it. Look at the kitchens baths etc as that’s where upgrade costs will eventually be.

Unless NYS law has changed, you are allowed to rent the other half of an owner-occupied duplex or upper/lower to anyone you wish. You are not bound by “fair housing” laws and can “discriminate” all you wish.
I agree, lots of cosmetic work. Upper bathroom and kitchen could definitely be gutted and redone entirely. The downstairs kitchen recently got redone and I think the bathroom down there is in much better shape than the upper of I recall correctly.

I feel like this is gonna jettison me into a whole new level of tax knowledge as well, but I'll just take that as it comes assuming everything goes the way I want it to. I would be my first house so here we goooo

Reactions: brian_griffin

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I'd lost 10 lbs between Thanksgiving and January, kept it off until Easter, and have put that 10 back on since ~May. I need to work out. I've invented a workout I'm calling "Sabres '18-19". I like being outdoors - I don't understand the point of sweating inside. Here are the basic exercises, and how they are alternated into a routine:

1. 4x "Conor Shearys" - Sprint 1/3 distance across backyard, fall down into a burpee, rise, sprint next 1/3 distance across backyard, fall down into burpee, rise, sprint last 1/3 distance across backyard, fall down into burpee. Rise. Reverse direction and repeat for 2nd Conor Sheary. Rise. Reverse direction and repeat for 3rd Conor Sheary. Then 4th.
2. 4x "Vlad Sobotkas" - Find squirrel in backyard. Chase it around for 45 seconds. If no squirrel in sight, substitute a bird, butterfly, or my own shadow. Repeat 4x or until squirrel / bird / shadow scores, whichever comes first.
3. 4x "Rasmus Ristolainens" - Flip tire over as many times as possible in 30 seconds (mine aren't big - maybe 215 R16's, but have rims). When timer expires, take hockey stick and cross-check a heavy-bag suspended from a tree limb for 5 or 6 whacks. Yell. Grin. Repeat.

Between each repeated exercise in a set do 1x "Housley".
Between each set of disparate exercise do 4x "Housleys".
"Housley" = rest dispassionately & befuddled with arms folded on chest for 15 seconds.

Total time ~25 minutes. If workout running long and not complete after 25 minutes, suspend remaining exercises and finish with 1x "Berglund" where you just quit and go inside.
I'm 16 months from 50.
When I came home (back to WNY) I was a stout 196lbs. Having left WNY to travel and climbing steel most of 5hose 20 years I was in fairly great shape. 4 years home now and I'm 238lbs, I bike in the summer, watch what I eat, am still fairly active, but it's a real issue shedding the lbs. Getting old presents a challenge that I will have to meet, and rapidly I figure, as I'm now in the area of heart conditions presenting themselves. Oh I still climb steel up here at Oxy in the falls, but maintainence is a far cry from installation. I sit and wait a lot for things to break 8 hrs a day as opposed to being active on the go for 10 to 12 hrs a day. And while my body appreciates the lack of abuse at my age, the spare tire I'm developing tells me to find an activity and diet comfort zone that is better than the binging I've done since being home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad