OT: On this episode of Days of the OT..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I feel my drinking and cig smoking has been constant the last week. 6-10 drinks a day and a pack per day in my lungs. Just stressed that the owner at my job had the company bought out, and ill be unemployed in September. And also by the fact that I'm thinking of moving back to Calgary. Small town living at the moment, and everyone knows everyone. So much crap talking, and no one is hiring in Alberta these days.

Trying to stay good though. Hope everyone else is doing well!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I feel my drinking and cig smoking has been constant the last week. 6-10 drinks a day and a pack per day in my lungs. Just stressed that the owner at my job had the company bought out, and ill be unemployed in September. And also by the fact that I'm thinking of moving back to Calgary. Small town living at the moment, and everyone knows everyone. So much crap talking, and no one is hiring in Alberta these days.

Is your layoff definite or not? Focus on what you can control. Try substituting something for some of the drinks and smokes which brings you clarity or at least distracts you from your worries. Maybe 30 minutes of exercise. Or reading. Or updating resume / CV. Prayers for your peace of mind.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Is your layoff definite or not? Focus on what you can control. Try substituting something for some of the drinks and smokes which brings you clarity or at least distracts you from your worries. Maybe 30 minutes of exercise. Or reading. Or updating resume / CV. Prayers for your peace of mind.
Yeah its definite. Im going to be looking for work in the coming weeks for sure. And definitely should substitute the old habits with new ones.

Going to do my best. Thanks for the support my man

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Yeah its definite. Im going to be looking for work in the coming weeks for sure. And definitely should substitute the old habits with new ones.

Going to do my best. Thanks for the support my man
Are you in software development and are you willing to move to Buffalo? ;)

Good luck.

Reactions: Franson

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA

Finally got Black Midis first album in the mail today. So hyped to listen to it. This bands going to be big. At least in indie circles.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Good luck and to echo what BG mentioned, maybe find an additional resource to help with your stress.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Best of luck mate, doesn't sound like a fun situation but these things work out in the end. My dad was stressed af when he lost his job- had to move to a new city for work but now he's happier than ever.

I'd second the working out thing. Doesn't matter if you're outta shape, smoking before and after- for me that's the only (healthy) release that works when I'm stressed. Normally a big reader, but I end up wanting to chuck a book into a wall after I reread the same line 5 times because my mind is on my own concerns.

PS- 90 degrees and raining where I am. Crazy weather, glad I sweat like a pig and cool down pretty easily. Having my shirt sticking to me with sweat after a 5 minute walk is a thing though.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
So I got some pretty bombshell, very personal news given to me Monday. It has totally changed my outlook on several aspects of my life and also puts several things in to perspective.

I was certainly not ready for it, but I’m glad I was told so I can help in any way possible.

It certainly hasn’t helped me focus during training. But I’m the least if my worries right now. Thankfully I have some outstanding trainers who put all the info into very good terms, so even though I’m not 100% there, I’m still able to get a good grasp on everything.

Edit: Sorry for the vagueness of this post. I just had to put my thoughts to words somewhere. And there isn’t anywhere else, or anyone, that I can do that with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So I got some pretty bombshell, very personal news given to me Monday. It has totally changed my outlook on several aspects of my life and also puts several things in to perspective.

I was certainly not ready for it, but I’m glad I was told so I can help in any way possible.

It certainly hasn’t helped me focus during training. But I’m the least if my worries right now. Thankfully I have some outstanding trainers who put all the info into very good terms, so even though I’m not 100% there, I’m still able to get a good grasp on everything.

Edit: Sorry for the vagueness of this post. I just had to put my thoughts to words somewhere. And there isn’t anywhere else, or anyone, that I can do that with.

Dealing with stuff that comes out of nowhere that rocks you is never fun.

But, it usually makes you a better person in the long run.

Reactions: Mike McDermott

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Is it normal to not have a strong desire to have children? Me and the wife are both 31/32 and are getting pressured by family to have a few kids. We have been married 10 years and traveled the world and just recently bought a house in January. We go on 3-4 trips a year. We have little stress with financial matters and have a lot more free time then most our age. But will we be lonely when we get older? My mom has stage 4 cancer and me and my sister take care of her, what would happen in the future if that happens to us? Anyone else go through this at all?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is it normal to not have a strong desire to have children? Me and the wife are both 31/32 and are getting pressured by family to have a few kids. We have been married 10 years and traveled the world and just recently bought a house in January. We go on 3-4 trips a year. We have little stress with financial matters and have a lot more free time then most our age. But will we be lonely when we get older? My mom has stage 4 cancer and me and my sister take care of her, what would happen in the future if that happens to us? Anyone else go through this at all?

It's completely normal.

And I don't take kindly to family that pressure me about life decisions.

They can live their life and I'll live mine.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I got the "We regret to inform you" letter from the potential new employer yesterday. ****ing bull****. My qualifications are exactly what they're looking for and I NAILED the interview.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I got the "We regret to inform you" letter from the potential new employer yesterday. ****ing bull****. My qualifications are exactly what they're looking for and I NAILED the interview.

I've had that happen a couple times, and it's usually when they already have someone on the inside they're promoting but they have to open the position for outside interviews just to make it seem fair. One of the places I hired for even told me that straight up like a week after the interview. They sent me an email basically saying "you were perfect for the position, but they were planning on promoting someone we already had in the organization." Not gonna like, it's irritating.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I have multiple friends who decided to not have kids with their respective spouses. Not unusual at all.

Reactions: EichHart

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I have multiple friends who decided to not have kids with their respective spouses. Not unusual at all.

My parents and her parents are always asking us when the grandkids are coming. I always worry about who is going to take care of us when we get older and sick. It's a really tough decision.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My parents and her parents are always asking us when the grandkids are coming. I always worry about who is going to take care of us when we get older and sick. It's a really tough decision.

Make sure you have a good plan and save for future care. I don’t think children should have to care for aging parents but it happens.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'm kinda digging Discord ever since that thread for the draft chat popped up. Not that I use it much or did much (or any) draft chatting... but I don't follow other teams or prospects as much as the Sabres and their pipeline specifically. I feel like I could get into it though.

Would it be possible, or would there be any benefit, to getting a general Sabres channel going on the HF Discord server? I see the Yotes have something like that on there, and a few other channels pop up since I joined.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Sucks man. I quit my job and am moving back to Buffalo with no definite job and no apartment. Maybe I'm just a moron. Just couldn't bring myself to sign another lease here in Syracuse.

Reactions: EichHart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad