OT: On this episode of Days of the OT..

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Popeyes braces for the return of the chicken sandwich after the original launch sparked chaos and left workers exhausted

On Monday, Popeyes announced that the chicken sandwich would return to locations across the US on Sunday, November 3.

The Orange County employee estimated that he made at least 600 sandwiches during an 11-hour shift on a Saturday. One order consisted of 35 spicy chicken sandwiches. Four other workers described similarly chaotic scenes, with one employee saying she quit in the middle of a shift.

She had a Vontae Davis moment.
Way back when I was young, I worked at Arby's for a couple years. Back when they had 5 roast beefs for $5.

Had someone come through the drive-thru once and order 35. This was in addition to other people inside and at the drive-thru ordering 15, 10, 5, 5 and a few other orders.

Got so backed up by it, had to tell the next car at drive-thru it would be 5-10 minutes before we could even take their order.

Who f***ing does that at a fast food restaurant?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Way back when I was young, I worked at Arby's for a couple years. Back when they had 5 roast beefs for $5.

Had someone come through the drive-thru once and order 35. This was in addition to other people inside and at the drive-thru ordering 15, 10, 5, 5 and a few other orders.

Got so backed up by it, had to tell the next car at drive-thru it would be 5-10 minutes before we could even take their order.

Who ****ing does that at a fast food restaurant?

A HS football coach?

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport

One of these days I should write a book about all the dumb stuff I’ve seen people do/say at fast food/quick service restaurants.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

A HS football coach?
Not surprised at all. The classic 5 for 5 (today 3 for 5 is the best I’ve seen) sandwich keeps exceptionally well in its wrapper because there are no condiments/ pickles on it, and it’s not an overstuffed sandwich which falls apart.
Perfect to buy a bunch for a busy / activity-filled evening, then refrigerate leftovers. Easy to reheat by pulling the meat out, 44 second microwave, then put meat back in bun. Not too heavy a sandwich either, so perfect after school snack or second lunch / early pre-dinner.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As I predicted, my ex is getting married before the end of the year. And yes, I do think it has something to do with immigration status. :biglaugh: Ooooo, the urge to call INS.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Quick rant-

Love my life in China, but the society is very wtf to me sometimes. Met up with an old romantic interest- girl can't just take things as they come. It's always emotional highs and lows, big talks in broken English- bro, I just want to spend some time together, read, study, that's it. I don't wanna talk about my ex, I don't wanna explain why things aren't always perfect.

Then I have class dinner so I take my scooter downtown- almost got run over because **** turn signals and logic, amirite? Car in front of me pulls right- so he slows down just enough that I think he's taking a right, I slowly veer off to the left, and without looking or indicating he just swings across traffic for a U-turn. My front wheel smacks his back left tire/fender area, I expected him to pull the "you owe me money foreigner!" bs- nah, he just drives off, unconcerned that he almost flattened someone because he can't be bothered to look or use a turn signal. I was barely moving, for the record- I was in his sideview mirror the whole way, and was going slow enough that I just put my foot down and didn't fall/run into his car with my body. **** still shook me though, a little overconfident and I coulda easily been under his wheel.

THEN my best speaking class is 30 minutes late for the dinner. They said "this restaurant, 6 PM." They'd barely left the school at 6, I gave them 30 minutes to walk there, then said "**** this, I'm out." Like, in what world is that acceptable? An entire class just stands up a teacher for an indefinite period? I'm very informal and normally don't care about any "respect your teacher" bs, but this is just a common decency thing. I know they actually like me so I'm not reading into it, I know their English is good enough to explain "leave at 6" vs. "be there at 6"- it just reeks of an inattention to detail or planning, and I just don't get it. I'm sure tomorrow they'll be wondering why I didn't just wait outside the restaurant indefinitely, and I'll get to explain how a) I like to just eat and go, this is more a professional obligation than it is a social calling for me and b) Punctuality ****ing matters to a lot of foreigners.

Woo, end of my rant. Sorry, didn't know where to put it, just had to get all that outta my system. Cheers!
I enjoyed this. Nothing like a good rant.

Reactions: EichHart

HappySabresFan

Jul 1, 2018
Just finished applying to college, can't wait to spend thousands of dollars on an education that will most likely end up landing me a decent salary desk job that I only work for the health issuance benefits for my family, now with the added bonus of possibly acquiring crippling student debt if I'm not careful. But hey I'll get to be a Tar-heel/Wolf-pack/Demon Deacon for life there's that

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Just finished applying to college, can't wait to spend thousands of dollars on an education that will most likely end up landing me a decent salary desk job that I only work for the health issuance benefits for my family, now with the added bonus of possibly acquiring crippling student debt if I'm not careful. But hey I'll get to be a Tar-heel/Wolf-pack/Demon Deacon for life there's that

Not living up to your user name---where's the optimism? :laugh:
Work doesn't have to be a soul-sucking grind. Most people don't live to work or love their jobs so much they'd do the work for free, but there are definitely jobs out there in the world you'd like. Just gotta figure out what they are.

Good luck with your apps!

Reactions: HappySabresFan

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

"You don't owe nothing, boy get running it's the best years of your life they want to steal"

In all seriousness though, College is good. Don't get into more debt than you could reasonably expect to pay off in 5 years with a full time salary at whatever profession you choose. Also, you don't need to go to college immediately after high school. While you've got no strings, see the world, take risks, learn about yourself.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Quit school and go get a state/federal job and work your way up. You retire in 25 years with no student loan debt and a great pension/insurance for life.

Reactions: Samsonite23

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
As I predicted, my ex is getting married before the end of the year. And yes, I do think it has something to do with immigration status. :biglaugh: Ooooo, the urge to call INS.

I'm so beyond caring what my ex is doing that when the kids started talking about how she is planning on selling her house and renting a townhouse near by, it doesn't bother me at all.

My wife is way more triggered by the news, though.

It will take time, but once you get to the point that you really don't care is the best.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
From a personal stand point, you could hope/bank on the next president partially or fully wiping out student debt and implementing medicare for all ;)

But more seriously, one day hopefully wanting to get a good education and provide health care for your family won't be an anxiety inducing soul crushing thing.

Reactions: HappySabresFan

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I’m going to be starting school in either January or next September. Just a couple of classes a semester at most but I’ll be slowly working towards a degree. Except my work will be paying for the tuition. It’ll be a change for sure. I haven’t done any type of school work in 20 years.

Good luck with everything.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
A portion of my $8000 vinyl fence fell apart due to the wind. I had it installed in late August. I think it was due to me hiring a con artist contractor (friend of a friend) to do the work more then the strength of the winds. We are going to small claims court against him. A life lesson earned the hard way, always do your research before doing anything on your home. Home advisor, BBB, facebook reviews, etc...A $4,000 mistake.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Quit school and go get a state/federal job and work your way up. You retire in 25 years with no student loan debt and a great pension/insurance for life.

Eh. I wouldn't bet on any state/federal jobs having the full pension actually payout in 25 years. Look at the mess Chicago is in with the Teacher's union and their pensions. Considering most states and the federal government are in debt past their eyeballs, it's probably not wise to bank on that (or social security) to be there when you retire.

From a personal stand point, you could hope/bank on the next president partially or fully wiping out student debt and implementing medicare for all ;)

But more seriously, one day hopefully wanting to get a good education and provide health care for your family won't be an anxiety inducing soul crushing thing.

While I do think we'll see some loan forgiveness, it'll probably only be a drop in the bucket compared to volume. My guess people who were scammed will see some forgiveness, and with that being (at least partly) by punitive damages against the scammers. I think we will see some cost controls/more financial aid come into play, however. Part of the student debt issue is you are giving 18 year olds a credit card with unlimited credit limit that they can never pay off. Colleges need to take some responsibility for their insane tuition costs as well.

I’m going to be starting school in either January or next September. Just a couple of classes a semester at most but I’ll be slowly working towards a degree. Except my work will be paying for the tuition. It’ll be a change for sure. I haven’t done any type of school work in 20 years.

Good luck with everything.

For the first time in my life, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I don't have to work if I don't want to. I never did finish my degree, but at where I am at professionally, it's very rare that not having a degree limits my options. I have considered going into business/marketing classes to learn to run my own business. While I am actively looking for a new role, it's very possible I won't be able to find a role that fits and I could be laid off in a few months and be out of work.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Damn bro. Thats rough. Sorry. Best wishes

I don’t know if it’s rough so much as it is so easily predicted? That there’s a immigration part two it makes it even funnier since he’s from Canada and I would assume can’t continue to stay in the states legally. I do know that he can’t leave for a year after they get hitched which I would then expect them to be taking a whole bunch of trips between now and then.

I'm so beyond caring what my ex is doing that when the kids started talking about how she is planning on selling her house and renting a townhouse near by, it doesn't bother me at all.

My wife is way more triggered by the news, though.

It will take time, but once you get to the point that you really don't care is the best.

I hate the two of them. It’s the most bass and kind of disgusting thing I’ve ever encountered in myself. She did have the gall to ask me if I still was somewhere on the range between dislike and homicide toward them and I just told her it’s never going to change. She’s made an enemy for life. Both of ‘em. I am not going to just suddenly live and let live with the shit that they put me through. I thought that comment from her was just outlandishly stupid

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
While I do think we'll see some loan forgiveness, it'll probably only be a drop in the bucket compared to volume. My guess people who were scammed will see some forgiveness, and with that being (at least partly) by punitive damages against the scammers. I think we will see some cost controls/more financial aid come into play, however. Part of the student debt issue is you are giving 18 year olds a credit card with unlimited credit limit that they can never pay off. Colleges need to take some responsibility for their insane tuition costs as well.

Colleges are living off of the inflated supply due to student loans being handed out like Halloween candy in large part because they are about the only debts that can't get wiped out in bankruptcy.

If that were to change, then lending institutions would be less liberal in handing out student loans. That would then create less supply to colleges and universities, and that should put pressure on them to lower tuition costs.

But, that's just my guess.

On a related note, our local SUNY CC is a great deal in that tuition for a year is less than $5k. There is one upside to my oldest not taking HS seriously enough to get into RIT out of HS.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Colleges are living off of the inflated supply due to student loans being handed out like Halloween candy in large part because they are about the only debts that can't get wiped out in bankruptcy.

If that were to change, then lending institutions would be less liberal in handing out student loans. That would then create less supply to colleges and universities, and that should put pressure on them to lower tuition costs.

On a related note, our local SUNY CC is a great deal in that tuition for a year is less than $5k. There is one upside to my oldest not taking HS seriously enough to get into RIT out of HS.

Much like corporate America, colleges feature some of the most grandiosely paid administrative positions. College presidents and members of the top part of the administrations make disproportionately more than anyone else. In the meantime adjunct professor teaching is on the rise and almost everybody I know who teachers adjunct is doing something else because they can’t make a living at it. Yes, student loans are easy, relatively, to get. But just like everything else in this country we’ve let the very top become grotesquely bloated in their salaries.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Much like corporate America, colleges feature some of the most grandiosely paid administrative positions. College presidents and members of the top part of the administrations make disproportionately more than anyone else. In the meantime adjunct professor teaching is on the rise and almost everybody I know who teachers adjunct is doing something else because they can’t make a living at it. Yes, student loans are easy, relatively, to get. But just like everything else in this country we’ve let the very top become grotesquely bloated in their salaries.

It's not just that. The inflated amount of money in the system has led to a facilities upgrade races between schools.

Some of the stuff that Clarkson has added in the two decades since I graduated are definitely above and beyond what was needed, for instance.

And don't get me started on the spending on athletic facilities...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's not just that. The inflated amount of money in the system has led to a facilities upgrade races between schools.

Some of the stuff that Clarkson has added in the two decades since I graduated are definitely above and beyond what was needed, for instance.

And don't get me started on the spending on athletic facilities...

Athletic facilities? Funny story:

The University of Florida decided that the football team needed a new practice facility so they took the baseball team diamond. The baseball team needs a new stadium so they ripped out most of the on-campus teaching garden and teaching order in for the agriculture school. Most of those students now have to drive about 45 minutes to get those facilities, not to mention orchards don’t just spring up, fully grown. I had a bit of a tiff with the one assistant athletic director during the ribbon cutting ceremony because I was in lab right next-door. He figured because I am a middle-aged white guy, I must clearly be there for the sports team and I pointed out that the economic impact of the agricultural college is far greater than any prestige for the baseball team or even the football team in the grand scheme of things. The impacts of that will have long-term ramifications and I thought their choice of location was absurd and disgusting. He didn’t like that so much…

Reactions: Jim Bob

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Eh. I wouldn't bet on any state/federal jobs having the full pension actually payout in 25 years. Look at the mess Chicago is in with the Teacher's union and their pensions. Considering most states and the federal government are in debt past their eyeballs, it's probably not wise to bank on that (or social security) to be there when you retire.

For the first time in my life, I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I don't have to work if I don't want to. I never did finish my degree, but at where I am at professionally, it's very rare that not having a degree limits my options. I have considered going into business/marketing classes to learn to run my own business. While I am actively looking for a new role, it's very possible I won't be able to find a role that fits and I could be laid off in a few months and be out of work.
To move up where I’m at I either need to have or be pursuing a degree. So while my job is good for entry level and I make almost what I made as a General Manager, I don’t want to stay entry level forever.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

The chosen major should also be taken in to consideration for risk on the student loan, and we need to get back to the market setting the interest rate, not the government setting it to a below market value.

Reactions: brian_griffin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad