OT: On this episode of Days of the OT..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I can't vote in Alberta as a resident of Ontario.

I understand for a provincial vote but it's federal so I've never understood that.

Also not a fan of any of our options this go around.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

I understand for a provincial vote but it's federal so I've never understood that.

In USA, you (typically? Always?) must request an absentee ballot if you will not be voting at your designated polling place. Some locales have early voting where voters from numerous polling places within a jurisdiction are allowed to vote. Early voting is another means to accommodate voters who will be traveling on Election Day. Does Canada / provinces have that?

I’m sure the restrictions you cite are to reduce fraud.

Reactions: Jim Bob

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013

https://elections.ca/content2.aspx?section=vote&document=index&lang=e

There were ways to vote if you were truly inclined however if no one piqued your interest then you were less likely to put any effort towards researching your options. Generally speaking it appears people away from their residence could vote at an elections canada office (possibly only prior to election day, not sure when the deadline was) or register to vote by mail.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
So I’ve been at my new job for ~4.5 months and already got my second raise. This one is 5%, and I should get another one when I hit 6 months. I should have made the jump a long time ago.
More good news on this board! Well done!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I lived in the middle of nowhere growing up. If I was out after 10 PM and not next-door at my aunt and uncle’s house, I was lost in the forest…

The story of how I got a curfew was funny.

I never went out, so the topic never came up. Then one time I got invited to hang out with some friends and we were out and about til way past midnight.

I get home, my mom is upset, and I said, "Well, you never gave me a curfew..." and I walked up the stairs and went to bed.

After that, she said I had a curfew and it was like 11pm.

:lol:

Reactions: Chainshot

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I've instituted a "stay up as late as you want... as long as you're on the couch next to me watching the Sabres game" policy. Positive results so far, as the kindergartner has been looking forward to hockey nights and he has been falling asleep within ten minutes of (dvr'd) puck drop.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I've instituted a "stay up as late as you want... as long as you're on the couch next to me watching the Sabres game" policy. Positive results so far, as the kindergartner has been looking forward to hockey nights and he has been falling asleep within ten minutes of (dvr'd) puck drop.
Well of course hockey nights are an exception.

Except when the Sabres are losing 5-2 after 2 periods. STRAIGHT TO BED YOUNGIN'.

Reactions: Jim Bob

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I never had a curfew and kind of regret that. I am not so accustomed to going to be between 12-2 am and waking up at 730. I'm exhausted every morning, it's so difficult to wake up.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Neither did Michelle Obama or Hillary Clinton. Guess I'm smarter than all those suckers. :sarcasm:

For real tho, the bar was very different animal back then, before the adoption of the Universal Bar Exam. Bless the UBE.

lol just wait until you need to practice in a non UBE state before you are eligible for waiving in! I kid, I kid (as someone who had to do that).

congrats!!!

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Popeyes braces for the return of the chicken sandwich after the original launch sparked chaos and left workers exhausted

On Monday, Popeyes announced that the chicken sandwich would return to locations across the US on Sunday, November 3.

The Orange County employee estimated that he made at least 600 sandwiches during an 11-hour shift on a Saturday. One order consisted of 35 spicy chicken sandwiches. Four other workers described similarly chaotic scenes, with one employee saying she quit in the middle of a shift.

She had a Vontae Davis moment.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Popeyes braces for the return of the chicken sandwich after the original launch sparked chaos and left workers exhausted

On Monday, Popeyes announced that the chicken sandwich would return to locations across the US on Sunday, November 3.

The Orange County employee estimated that he made at least 600 sandwiches during an 11-hour shift on a Saturday. One order consisted of 35 spicy chicken sandwiches. Four other workers described similarly chaotic scenes, with one employee saying she quit in the middle of a shift.

She had a Vontae Davis moment.
Put that guy in the Guiness World Record book, no questions asked. Assuming that guy took federally mandated and Guiness-allowed breaks, that's a sandwich a minute for the entire shift. He needs to go on Jimmy Fallon / Ellen / Conan.

In related news, I received word today I'm getting a bonus for my work the past few years. Don't know the exact dollar amount, but should be the (gross) equivalent of another 2-week paycheck this year. Guess the daughter can keep going to college a little longer...

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Quick rant-

Love my life in China, but the society is very wtf to me sometimes. Met up with an old romantic interest- girl can't just take things as they come. It's always emotional highs and lows, big talks in broken English- bro, I just want to spend some time together, read, study, that's it. I don't wanna talk about my ex, I don't wanna explain why things aren't always perfect.

Then I have class dinner so I take my scooter downtown- almost got run over because f*** turn signals and logic, amirite? Car in front of me pulls right- so he slows down just enough that I think he's taking a right, I slowly veer off to the left, and without looking or indicating he just swings across traffic for a U-turn. My front wheel smacks his back left tire/fender area, I expected him to pull the "you owe me money foreigner!" bs- nah, he just drives off, unconcerned that he almost flattened someone because he can't be bothered to look or use a turn signal. I was barely moving, for the record- I was in his sideview mirror the whole way, and was going slow enough that I just put my foot down and didn't fall/run into his car with my body. Shit still shook me though, a little overconfident and I coulda easily been under his wheel.

THEN my best speaking class is 30 minutes late for the dinner. They said "this restaurant, 6 PM." They'd barely left the school at 6, I gave them 30 minutes to walk there, then said "f*** this, I'm out." Like, in what world is that acceptable? An entire class just stands up a teacher for an indefinite period? I'm very informal and normally don't care about any "respect your teacher" bs, but this is just a common decency thing. I know they actually like me so I'm not reading into it, I know their English is good enough to explain "leave at 6" vs. "be there at 6"- it just reeks of an inattention to detail or planning, and I just don't get it. I'm sure tomorrow they'll be wondering why I didn't just wait outside the restaurant indefinitely, and I'll get to explain how a) I like to just eat and go, this is more a professional obligation than it is a social calling for me and b) Punctuality f***ing matters to a lot of foreigners.

Woo, end of my rant. Sorry, didn't know where to put it, just had to get all that outta my system. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Samsonite23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad