On Therrien, Accountability, and the Habs Unproductive Powerplay

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I don't know who Crimson Skorpion is but after reading this article, he's just another Habs fan who vastly overate this team offensive ability.

You missed the point. Completely.

The Habs PP is atrocious, but not as bad as the offensive talent on the current team. Are you telling me that the current line-up is on par with a 3.8% powerplay efficiency rate and a team that averages under two or less goals a game?

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
I agree that the 2013 (largely because of Ryder) was a better option but the gap shouldn't be that big still. Our first unit is good enough to be average at the very least.

I know. A 3% PP gets you fired. Well I hope it does. Subban always goes full ****** on his slap shot. Why not use the fake more, he never uses his wrist shot ever, no body deflects the puck, Galchenyuk rarely uses his shot. They had success when they moved the puck quickly. They are so static on the PP, no sense of urgency. At this point I'd remove Subban from the PP, that would make the team much less predictable or move him down the wing or SOMETHING.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Used to be Gionta's forte. Gallagher is decent but yeah Eller/Patches/DD/Pleky/Chucky don't do it.

And we were laughing when Darche was on the PP. He did deflect those damn pucks in. Wow. I really brought back Darche. I'm sorry guys.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I don't know man. I'd be down with trying that out if it's Petry out there with him but if it's Markov, I'd be scared of getting scored on a breakaway...

Of course, at this point, that goes without saying. I agree with you.

But the underlying problem is that our coach has been relying on Markov way too much.

You can look at my posts, but it goes all the way back to before the season even started. Coaching staff should have been managing Markov's minutes since day one. Play him 22 min. a game max so he's still got something left come playoffs time.

Then you can think about a strategy where Subban is a little more loose on the PP.

Because right now? It's pretty pathetic to see a guy like Subban sitting there at the point waiting for a pass with a guy constantly in front of him.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Who were the big point getters on the PP in 2012-2013? I don't remember.

Subban, 26 points
Markov, 23 points,
Plekanec, 15 points,
Pacioretty, 12 points,
Ryder, 11 points

A good example of how a difference in coaching (and not personnel) can lead to a better power play.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Montreal's power play percentage in recent history

2005-2006, 19.2%, 5th
2006-2007, 22.8%, 1st
2007-2008, 24.1%, 1st

2008-2009, 19.2%, 13th
2009-2010, 21.8%, 2nd
2010-2011, 19.7%, 7th
2011-2012, 14.3%, 28th
2012-2013, 20.7%, 5th,
2013-2014, 17.2%, 19th, Dan Lacroix takes over as power play coach
2014-2015, 16.5%, 23rd
2014-2015 playoffs, 3.8%, 15th/16th

What the above numbers prove is that the 3.8% power play is not due to Therrien's coaching, but simply due to this being a bad roster having no players with offensive talent other than Pacioretty :)

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Hey DA, your avatar is perfect. Just keep it that way. Churning out stats and little factoids.

Feels like I'm the observer in a Turing test and the human is actually trying to behave like a computer just to mess things up. Good stuff! :laugh:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Hey DA, your avatar is perfect. Just keep it that way. Churning out stats and little factoids.
Affirmative, Brainiac. I read you.

Feels like I'm the observer in a Turing test and the human is actually trying to behave like a computer just to mess things up. Good stuff! :laugh:
Look Brainiac, I can see you're really concerned about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I think our biggest problem is our lack of RWer who can score 'real' goals with his shot a la Ryder. That's why we should have made a major push for Vrbata last summer

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
This is exactly my point, talented players will produce no matter what. If you don't have enough talented players, your team will not score many goals.
I agree 100%. That's why I didn't buy the narrative that Therrien was the only one responsible for Eller poor season and Galchenyuk's major slump in the 2nd half of the season.

Nynja*

Eller didnt have a poor season tho? Lol by what standards was his season poor? 3rd liner with no PP time and some of the worst OZone deployment in the league failed to produce like a second liner?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Affirmative, Brainiac. I read you.

Look Brainiac, I can see you're really concerned about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

Don't worry man, I have my stress medication right beside me.

And... eh... you really have no idea about lecturing me on thinking things over. Especially now. Believe me.

Anyways, just to stay on topic, I think I'll actually need real stress medication if I am to watch the next two games! :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
what the hell with all that talk about system system system......

What system are you talking about? The one that completely neutralize Tampa on 5 on 5?

The system that created an awful lot of scoring opportunities for the Habs?

This is the system you're talking about?

Dude, you're holding double standards.
As someone else mentioned. TB doesn't score at ES (although they still have 1 more goal than us there), and it's us neutralizing them. But when we can't score at ES it's because we don't have talent? It's not about TB neutralizing us, it's us sucking?
Didn't Bishop make quite a few highlight reel saves on those chances?? So when Price does it, he's the best in the World, when it's Bishop then it's our guys sucking again??
You don't see this insane double standard here?
So we have enough talent to neutralize TB and create chances at ES, but when it's time to convert on those chances our talent goes to take crap?

I will agree with you that we have played well at ES versus TB. I agree 100% with you there. But are you going to tell me that those two games represent how we've always played?? If you believe that then you haven't paid much attention this season. Heck, do you think we played the same way in the last 3 games vs Ottawa?

But as I said and you still haven't provided an answer for, we produce as much as the Sabres. That's ridiculous. You really want to argue that our team is as gifted offensively as the worst one in the NHL?
And again, the PP, 3.8%! You want to argue that we also don't have the right players to be better there?

Blaming talent is a major cop out. Nobody is suggesting we should lead the NHL, at this point scoring as little as we did in the regular season would be quite an improvement.

Nynja*

STILL waiting for mr jackpot to defend his claims of "the habs lack talent" when i posted our top point getters compared to the hawks and rangers, and the difference is so minimal, its non-existant...aka, it has nothing to do with talent or lack thereof. Maybe he has me blocked :(

Capitaine Subban*

STILL waiting for mr jackpot to defend his claims of "the habs lack talent" when i posted our top point getters compared to the hawks and rangers, and the difference is so minimal, its non-existant...aka, it has nothing to do with talent or lack thereof. Maybe he has me blocked :(

Ya our forward group is comparable to Chicago :shakehead

Nynja*

Ya our forward group is comparable to Chicago :shakehead

And how about their back end too, their points count too!

Habs:
1 30+ goal scorer, 3 20+ goal scorers, 5 10+ goal scorers (3F2D)
3 skaters with 60+ pts (2F1D), 1 skater with 50 pts (D), 3 skaters with 40+ pts (3F)

Chicago Blackhawks:
0 30+ goal scorers, 3 20+ goal scorers, 6 10+ goal scorers (5F1D)
3 skaters with 60+ pts (3F), 1skater with 50+ pts (F), 2 skaters with 40+ pts (1F1D)

New York Rangers:
1 40+ goal scorer, 2 20+ goal scorers, 7 10+ goal scorers (7F)
2 skaters with 60+ pts, 2 skaters with 50+ pts (2F), 3 skaters with 40+ pts (3F)

NHL.com is stupid and doesnt use the players yearly stats and only the team stats, so Yandle and Vermette werent included when I looked at the numbers. But **** off with "our roster sucks", because the numbers dont support that argument at all.

Explain how our roster is full of talentless scrubs, please?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Honestly, look at the forward group, what is happening right now is normal.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher
Prust - Flynn/Desharnais - Parenteau
Galchenyuk - Eller - Weise
De la Rose - Mitchell - DSP

This is not a good forward group at all. Defense and goaltending is very good , amongst the best in the league but offense is arguably one of the worst in the league and IMO the worst in the playoffs.

I count three top 6 players, 4 if you count Galchenyuk and only one top line forward.

I agree with this. Which is why my criticism of Therrien is muted, while my concern about MB is growing.

Unlike LG, do not think Habs have a good forward roster at all. It is one of the worst I've ever seen.

That does not excuse Therrien for his usage of DD and the PP, but with this group nothing else is going to work either.

Get to work MB.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

I am responsible for DA's avatar, as I told him I always hear HAL's voice when I read his posts.

It's a perfect Avatar for him.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
By the fact that they are scoring 1 goal per game in the PO.

They did score 4 goals in game 1.

Also the best players are no where to be found. Pacioretty and Galchenyuk are black holes on the attack and Subban is not as effective as he can be. Doesnt help when Markov is playing his worst hockey of the year too.

Capitaine Subban*

And how about their back end too, their points count too!

Explain how our roster is full of talentless scrubs, please?

Except Max,Markov and PK our entire roster are proven average or scrub players. Injury for Kane and offensive subpar season explain their lack of production on Chicago. Chigago has proven stanley cup players and many former superstar or superstar still. Our back end is good but their is better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad