Dreger: On Jack Campbell: ‘He probably will get $6 million’

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Watch Campbell be forced to sign a 3 year deal that pays him only $3.5 million per year. There are GM's who overpay, but $6 million per year for a goalie who at 30 just played his first 49 game season is laughable. Was Dreger even referring to American dollars or Canadien? You know $6 million Canadien amounts to $4.65 million American.
All nhl contracts are in usd

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
No track record as a starter, injury history, AHL level performances for multiple months in a row last year... if anyone pays him close to that AAV it will be a horrible mistake
That might be a stretch there. He was an all star , his numbers were good and he wasn't the reason the leafs didn't advance. He may not get 6 but he will get 4.5 to 5.5 on a shorter deal. Let's put it this way, if Campbell is on the avs they still win the cup.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He was like a little better than Reimer was last year on a much better team. What has he done to justify that kind of price tag. At least Matt Murray won two cups.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I can see Holland continuing his trend of bringing in scorned ex-Leafs.

Ideally you'd get Campbell at something similar to the Talbot's current deal, but with this goalie market being fairly barren, I can see that getting push up towards an Ullmark-like contract. Something in the middle would be decent, think low to mid 4 mil, times 3 to 4 years.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That might be a stretch there. He was an all star , his numbers were good and he wasn't the reason the leafs didn't advance. He may not get 6 but he will get 4.5 to 5.5 on a shorter deal. Let's put it this way, if Campbell is on the avs they still win the cup.
I'm guessing you didn't watch a ton of his play for the 2nd half of the season. It was dreadful. There is no guarantee Avs win, depends which Campbell shows up every game.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Buffalo is the only team that might be able to do that. Don't know what other team can offer it to him, maybe Colorado but doubt it.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I'm guessing you didn't watch a ton of his play for the 2nd half of the season. It was dreadful. There is no guarantee Avs win, depends which Campbell shows up every game.
Probably alot more than you!!! He put together a excellent first half , tailed off got banger up but still put up decent numbers. Inconsistent a bit but so was jarry , Hellebuyck, Bob, etc....he was decent in the playoffs and nobody with any hockey IQ lays the loss of him. There is no guarantee the avs lose with him either . In fact his numbers are very similar to Darcy. Better check again

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Probably alot more than you!!! He put together a excellent first half , tailed off got banger up but still put up decent numbers. Inconsistent a bit but so was jarry , Hellebuyck, Bob, etc....he was decent in the playoffs and nobody with any hockey IQ lays the loss of him. There is no guarantee the avs lose with him either . In fact his numbers are very similar to Darcy. Better check again
Yes he had Vezina numbers to start and then imploded after for multiple months around February . 'Nobody with any hockey IQ' would think he played decently for that portion.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Yes he had Vezina numbers to start and then imploded after for multiple months around February . 'Nobody with any hockey IQ' would think he played decently for that portion.
Wrong again. If you knew the situation you woukd know he was banged up coming on the end . The poor play of PM pushed Campbell into more action too soon. Secondly the leafs defensive play slipped a bit in the second half . A quick look would show you he had very similar #s to the goalie whi just won the cup.
His save percentage was better than Hellebuyck, Gibson, hart talbot, bob, fleury and Billington... how many of these goalies make more $$$? How many have won cups ?
Try harder

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Dreger constantly throws out absurd numbers to create a buzz and some people still haven't caught on to his schtick .

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Goalies are unicorns. Some can play at a high level into their late 30's if you bet on the right guy. To me 5M AVV was a realistic target for Jack given his comparables. Numbers wise he had a good year. If he is durable and can play 55 games a year. 6 is ok, 5 would be better for a 4-5 year term.

Reactions: Fatass

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Maybe worth $4-5m. Seems like a team needs to pay a real good back up to keep his GP down.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
6M per year is overpaid at this moment, but he can worth it in a year or two.
It's a gamble that I hope my favourite team will not take ( Colorado)

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
He really should be in around 3.75-4m per but will most likely be overpaid as a UFA. 6 would be awful for any team.
They talking bout Kadri getting 10 million from boston or seattle (kyprios in the internet and in the world in general) and on (tv) for 7 year deal (!), So many people are getting that huge overpayment now. This'll get real linteresting when the draft gets on and especially free agency. So much paper moving. ---->

Reactions: Blaylock38

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Wrong again. If you knew the situation you woukd know he was banged up coming on the end . The poor play of PM pushed Campbell into more action too soon. Secondly the leafs defensive play slipped a bit in the second half . A quick look would show you he had very similar #s to the goalie whi just won the cup.
His save percentage was better than Hellebuyck, Gibson, hart talbot, bob, fleury and Billington... how many of these goalies make more $$$? How many have won cups ?
Try harder
He was sub 0.9 sv% for at least 3 months of play, getting outplayed by Mzarek and Kalgren during that period around February with his play starting to decline around January. It wasn't injuries at the end. It was like halfway through the year he fell off a cliff

I'm not going to convince you so im going to stop, maybe go back and take a look at his gamelogs to see how bad it got.

He was horrible for multiple months. Don't understand how you could argue that to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad