Dreger: On Jack Campbell: ‘He probably will get $6 million’

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think he's worth $4.5-5 mil. IMO he's a legit/decent starter, but not a strong starter. $6 mil isn't a terrible overpay, but I do think it's an overpay. At that price, the term better be short for whoever signs him, like 2-3 years.
$6 million is terrible overpay for a goalie who was only making $1.6 million per season. Campbell had a stronger year playing in 49 games(his most so far in his career), but he doesn't have the track record to sustain being a regular #1 goalie. Also he's at age 30.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
$6 million is terrible overpay for a goalie who was only making $1.6 million per season. Campbell had a stronger year playing in 49 games(his most so far in his career), but he doesn't have the track record to sustain being a regular #1 goalie. Also he's at age 30.
Ye I think 6 million is too high. Though if your trying for a shorter term contract perhaps it does take 6 million. This is his chance for a payday.

Like lets say the options were 5 million for 5 years or 6 million for 3 years. Ye you are overpaying him but only on the hook for 3 years if it looks bad and you really get him for the rest of his prime. Or he takes a slight discount for guranteed more money.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
People made fun of the Mrazek contract. Campbell at 6M is a boat anchor before the ink dries. He is injury prone, he won't ever start 60 games. He was very hot and cold, and when hot was outstanding. But his cold stretches were long, and he was really, really bad during them.

Look at his stats per month, he had a good October, Vezina level November, ok December, AHL worthy Jan, Feb, March. Then in the playoffs he played well, but still ended up sub .900sv%.

All of this on top of having exactly 1 season as the starter and only 135 NHL games at 30. Good luck to whatever team signs him to that.
Only 5 goalies started 60 games last year. I'm not arguing the rest of the post, but starting 60 isn't really the standard for a legit starter anymore.

Reactions: gilfaizon

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Ullmark got 4x5 to be a 1b with Swayman with 2 yrs NMC and then modified. Seems like decent comparable.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
He might get a Grubauer type of contract. He will be looking to cash in since he is 30 and has yet to get any sort of big pay day.

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
There are few goalies worth a 6M AAV - because only a legitimate handful (literally count on one hand) the number ones who year to year consistently give > league average goaltending.

The elite are elite - but the rest of it is highly variable. Paying Campbell 6M when he isn't one of the elite few is... very risky.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
There are few goalies worth a 6M AAV - because only a legitimate handful (literally count on one hand) the number ones who year to year consistently give > league average goaltending.

The elite are elite - but the rest of it is highly variable. Paying Campbell 6M when he isn't one of the elite few is... very risky.

Is Campbell WORTH a $6M AAV contract? Of course he's not.

But a team that can't get a goalie any other way than UFA might pony up that much just to ensure that they have a respectable starter for a bit.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Ullmark got 4x5 to be a 1b with Swayman with 2 yrs NMC and then modified. Seems like decent comparable.
Not a good example. Ullmark was being paid to be the Bruins #1 goalie, yet Swayman just simply outplayed him.

Is Campbell WORTH a $6M AAV contract? Of course he's not.

But a team that can't get a goalie any other way than UFA might pony up that much just to ensure that they have a respectable starter for a bit.
Campbell is not even a respectable starter!

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The way I have seen him talked about over the last couple of years on this site $6,000,000 is a heavy hometown discount.

• Haha
Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Campbell* has a decent comparable in Markstrom in terms of a goalie with early-career pedigree making an impact once he has matured.
Campbell has had better statistical seasons, but Campbell has never played 60+ games in a season.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
This would be insanity. I initially didn't think the Leafs were making the correct move letting Campbell go but if someone else is paying him $6M AAV then I can't blame them. Maybe Buffalo? They have the need and the cap space.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Campbell's not even worth 5M let alone 6M. Sportsnet really pushing someone to overpay for Campbell so the looks look reasonable for walking away.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Reminds be of the time when Dreger got blown up for putting out nonsense with "Ok, Paul" on his twitter, to the point he shit talked fans on TSN. He was rattled.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Campbell is weird, I can see him having success in Toronto or somewhere else, but he has too many question marks to commit to. Especially for a high dollar term.

If his second half stats last season aren't enough to scare teams away his ridiculously bad numbers in OT playoff games should. (For the record, not pinning the the losses solely on him, especially the 2 on 0, but the other two goals he let in were pretty weak.)

Like @Number1RedWingsFan52 said, I'm not sure he's a goalie you'll win with in the postseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad