Dreger: On Jack Campbell: ‘He probably will get $6 million’

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Isn't that what Markstrom got? He was better and a lot safer investment. I think he's gone from the Leafs regardless but I'd be shocked if he got that with decent term.

But Dreger also likes to create headlines because he craves attention. No Marner drama for him to mine this summer unfortunately.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It's funny to me that the Maple Leafs might be exploring a trade for John Gibson at $6.4M but Jack Campbell looking for $6M is too rich for their blood.

Who is offering $6M for Jack Campbell? Detroit? Buffalo? Pittsburgh? Minnesota maybe?

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
It's funny to me that the Maple Leafs might be exploring a trade for John Gibson at $6.4M but Jack Campbell looking for $6M is too rich for their blood.

Who is offering $6M for Jack Campbell? Detroit? Buffalo? Pittsburgh? Minnesota maybe?
Pretty sure any hypothetical trade for Gibson would have the Ducks retaining.

Regardless it aint happening

Reactions: Menzinger

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jack is getting a significant raise no doubt, not sure if its to 6 million but he will be getting a big raise

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
9 active goalies had Cap Hit of at least $6M in '21-22

1656613416808.png

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

People made fun of the Mrazek contract. Campbell at 6M is a boat anchor before the ink dries. He is injury prone, he won't ever start 60 games. He was very hot and cold, and when hot was outstanding. But his cold stretches were long, and he was really, really bad during them.

Look at his stats per month, he had a good October, Vezina level November, ok December, AHL worthy Jan, Feb, March. Then in the playoffs he played well, but still ended up sub .900sv%.

All of this on top of having exactly 1 season as the starter and only 135 NHL games at 30. Good luck to whatever team signs him to that.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
People made fun of the Mrazek contract. Campbell at 6M is a boat anchor before the ink dries. He is injury prone, he won't ever start 60 games. He was very hot and cold, and when hot was outstanding. But his cold stretches were long, and he was really, really bad during them.

Look at his stats per month, he had a good October, Vezina level November, ok December, AHL worthy Jan, Feb, March. Then in the playoffs he played well, but still ended up sub .900sv%.

All of this on top of having exactly 1 season as the starter and only 135 NHL games at 30. Good luck to whatever team signs him to that.
That's actually fine for a team like Buffalo who just needs a stopgap that isn't absolute shit. They can affford to overpay for 2-3 years and he doesn't have much pressure since expectations are relatively low.

All Buffalo has to do is sniff the playoffs and he's a hero with a street named after him lol

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Who knows. Demand for quality goaltending this offseason far outstrips supply. Teams will either pay in trades or in money if they want the top guys, but they will pay.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
That's actually fine for a team like Buffalo who just needs a stopgap that isn't absolute shit. They can affford to overpay for 2-3 years and he doesn't have much pressure since expectations are relatively low.

All Buffalo has to do is sniff the playoffs and he's a hero with a street named after him lol
Fair enough if it works for you guys, it doesn't work for where the Leafs are at. You will love him, fan favorite here. But his play the 2nd half of the year put the Leafs board into meltdown mode about who we would get during the playoffs and we got the typical mixed bag he is known for.

Leaf fans love him, but he is simply not a 6M goalie. Even at 4M I wouldn't call him fair value. Super nice guy, unreal teammate, when he is hot looks like a top goalie. But when he gets cold...

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Fair enough if it works for you guys, it doesn't work for where the Leafs are at. You will love him, fan favorite here. But his play the 2nd half of the year put the Leafs board into meltdown mode about who we would get during the playoffs and we got the typical mixed bag he is known for.

Leaf fans love him, but he is simply not a 6M goalie. Even at 4M I wouldn't call him fair value. Super nice guy, unreal teammate, when he is hot looks like a top goalie. But when he gets cold...
The more you describe him, the more convinced I am that Buffalo is going hard after him.

He looked really bad towards the end of the season, but I thought he held his own in the playoffs. He didn't lose any games or win any for the team. Defintely played better than I expected.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The more you describe him, the more convinced I am that Buffalo is going hard after him.

He looked really bad towards the end of the season, but I thought he held his own in the playoffs. He didn't lose any games or win any for the team. Defintely played better than I expected.

Yeah you can't blame him for the playoff result. I think if anything, when it counted in the elimination games Vasi just outplayed him and that is honestly expected.

Would love to retain him at 3M and use him as a tandem goalie. Seems that is unrealistic, and a team with asperations of winning a cup can't rely on Campbell to get it done.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad