Friedman: On Evander Kane's Future

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
This happens at every level of the game in just about every physical sport. They're two competitive players who are frustrated with the team's recent play, and things boiled over in a battle drill. It happens, and Kane, Falk, and Housley have not only said that it is nothing but said that maybe the team needs more of that fight. People are only making this a big deal because it is Evander Kane.

And he's on the trade block because he's a pending UFA, not because he's being toxic in the room. There have been no indications of that in Buffalo.

Then why dont they resign him he is a 25/30 goal scorer 50/60pt power forward. If he is so great and there is nothing wrong why dont you guys keep him?

Reactions: JuniorNelson

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Then why dont they resign him he is a 25/30 goal scorer 50/60pt power forward. If he is so great and there is nothing wrong why dont you guys keep him?

What part if "pending UFA" is confusing to you? You realize the player has a say as to whether he signs a contract or not and as a UFA he will soon be free to choose.

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY

He's a pending UFA and we aren't a playoff team. We very well could look into signing him this offseason, but we'd be foolish not to get some pieces back for him at the deadline.

Reactions: Dano85

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i think jets or vegas could add kane for a late 18 - 1st maybe toss in a 19 - 2nd. since hes unsigned i dont think he should net anymore than that. ps im still ticked off & think the wild gm should be fired for the hanzal deal.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Why couldn't the team trade him and resign him as a UFA?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
He's a pending UFA and we aren't a playoff team. We very well could look into signing him this offseason, but we'd be foolish not to get some pieces back for him at the deadline.
But he is young and has good stats. If he was really the player you are speaking of he would have had an extension ready to go.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
you can try. Doesnt happen very often

Here's a list:

1) We won't be able to afford him
2) He might not even WANT to stay here given he has never sniffed playoff hockey and won't here. There have been several reports he wanted to play in a large market or somewhere sunny.
3) Teams which are missing the playoffs generally sell UFAs to get assets, every team does this with every UFA

This isn't hard to comprehend.

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
i think jets or vegas could add kane for a late 18 - 1st maybe toss in a 19 - 2nd. since hes unsigned i dont think he should net anymore than that. ps im still ticked off & think the wild gm should be fired for the hanzal deal.
That made me spit beer on my screen.
Jets are more than happy with the return they got for dumping a player/disturbance the team (aka all other players) wanted gone.

If you watched Buffalo lose to Winnipeg on the 5th you'd know trading to get E Kane wouldn't fly well with the fans either.

Dano85

Oct 8, 2016
you can try. Doesnt happen very often

I swear Buffalo has done this exact thing within the last 5 years...

but why would Evander Kane want to sign with the Sabres, when he can test free agency on the heels of an excellent season?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
You guys don't get it....NOBODY WANTS KANE ON THEIR TEAM

He just got into a fight with Bogo at practice? Rumors he's seen as selfish by teammates?

Add this to the mile-long list of assaulting women in bars, and other admirable acts?

He's a straight up scum-bag, he doesn't even try to hide it,

I've said it before, but I'll say it again:IF THE CANUCKS TRADE FOR KANE, I CANCEL MY TIX FOR NEXT YEAR,

And I don't sink a penny into the team until he, and the people who brought him to Van are GONE

I know this is entertainment, but IT DOES matter what you lend your support and attention too,

What you feed grows, and I won't sink a penny into Kane's pocket or support the type of person he chooses to be.

I know I'm not the only one, and GM's are people too, they don't want this guy either

I don't think he gets traded

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
That made me spit beer on my screen.
Jets are more than happy with the return they got for dumping a player/disturbance the team (aka all other players) wanted gone.

If you watched Buffalo lose to Winnipeg on the 5th you'd know trading to get E Kane wouldn't fly well with the fans either.

Buff took Kane's clothes, threw them in the shower, and told him the team has had enough of him and to F**K O*F

(Buff earned my everlasting respect from that day on, THAT is leadership)

The PLAYERS basically threw him off the team, and they are going to trade for him???

NO

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Here's a list:

1) We won't be able to afford him
2) He might not even WANT to stay here given he has never sniffed playoff hockey and won't here. There have been several reports he wanted to play in a large market or somewhere sunny.
3) Teams which are missing the playoffs generally sell UFAs to get assets, every team does this with every UFA

This isn't hard to comprehend.
Here's how a winning organiation does it: The Bruins missed the playoffs for 2 straight years going into last season. They could have said "We are rebuilding. Brad Marchand is going to be a UFA at the end of the year. Let's wait and see how the year goes and deal him if we are out of it."

But instead they said: This guy is a really good player and it's better to have good players on your team and to have continuity and continue to try and compete while you do a rebuild on the fly as opposed to just continuing to sell of anyone who is good so that you can have an endless cycle of suckage for draft picks.

So in September of last year they offered him a long term deal that said "We want you to be part of this team." They squeaked into the playoffs and got bouned in the first.

But this year with Marchand on his new contract they are rolling.

It's a falsehood that "every team does this with EVERY UFA". Does it happen a lot? Yup. Most of the time? Probably. But there is something to be said to keeping good players or at least trying to.

I was told by many BUFF fans that the team was going to be competitive this year. That the D was vastly improved over last year. That Jack and Sam were going to take another step, that they were replacing the worst coach in the league with a great offensive mind who was going to free up the offense and get the D activated. So in Sept. there was every reason to believe that the Sabres (if I were to believe you guys then) were going to be competing for a playoff spot.

Yet the Sabres never offered Kane an extension.

Kinda telling.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Here's how a winning organiation does it: The Bruins missed the playoffs for 2 straight years going into last season. They could have said "We are rebuilding. Brad Marchand is going to be a UFA at the end of the year. Let's wait and see how the year goes and deal him if we are out of it."

But instead they said: This guy is a really good player and it's better to have good players on your team and to have continuity and continue to try and compete while you do a rebuild on the fly as opposed to just continuing to sell of anyone who is good so that you can have an endless cycle of suckage for draft picks.

So in September of last year they offered him a long term deal that said "We want you to be part of this team." They squeaked into the playoffs and got bouned in the first.

It's a falsehood that "every team does this with EVERY UFA". Does it happen a lot? Yup. Most of the time? Probably. But there is something to be said to keeping good players or at least trying to.

I was told by many BUFF fans that the team was going to be competitive this year. That the D was vastly improved over last year. That Jack and Sam were going to take another step, that they were replacing the worst coach in the league with a great offensive mind who was going to free up the offense and get the D activated. So in Sept. there was every reason to believe that the Sabres (if I were to believe you guys then) were going to be competing for a playoff spot.

Kinda telling.
well a large part of the bruins being good is because of all their young rookies, like henien, mcavoy, debrusk ,etc. the sabres haven't drafted well like the bruins.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
well a large part of the bruins being good is because of all their young rookies, like henien, mcavoy, debrusk ,etc. the sabres haven't drafted well like the bruins.
Another large part of it is that after 2 down years the B's didn't sell off every decent player to tank, and instead made a conscious decision to keep Bergeron, Chara, Marchand, and Rask around so that the Heinens, McAvoys, Debrusks, etc wouldn't be joining a woebegone team where losing was not only tolerated, but encouraged.

Breaking young players in onto teams that have a good, professional core is the best way to do it. We saw that with Detroit back in the day and Colorado (back when they broke in Hedjuk and Drury). Conversely, we saw with Edmonton that just putting a bunch of high draft picks together on a team has risks.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Kinda telling.

Yea, maybe it would be if you ignore the first f***ing point of the list like you did. At this point in time i have to believe you are just being willfully ignorant. Buffalo can't afford him with the new contracts and crap ones for players like Bogosian and Moulson. What do you do with a UFA who whom you can't afford and who likely doesn't want to stay in a small market anyways? Tell me what you do with him? Force him to sign for 4 mil a year?

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
But he is young and has good stats. If he was really the player you are speaking of he would have had an extension ready to go.

Kane has the right to test the market and has little reason to not do just that. Additionally, Botterill might feel like signing him ties up too much of our cap space long term. Who knows, he may have even offered Kane a contract already but Kane wan't to see what other looks he gets.

Cuphead

Jul 16, 2010
Buff took Kane's clothes, threw them in the shower, and told him the team has had enough of him and to F**K O*F

(Buff earned my everlasting respect from that day on, THAT is leadership)

The PLAYERS basically threw him off the team, and they are going to trade for him???

NO

That is called toxic leadership.

that is how a childish brat "handles" a disagreement, because he wasn't man enough to address an issue face to face.

Reactions: Mimsy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad