TSN: On Ekman-Larsson and the Maple Leafs

Would you trade any of the big 3 for OEL?

• Trade Matthews for OEL

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Trade Nylander for OEL

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Trade Marner for OEL

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Don't trade for OEL

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • Trade prospects/picks for OEL

Votes: 44 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If he does but the cost may be more than we're willing to pay and still no guarantee.
OEL isn't the be all end all. We don't need to get roped into some insane overpayment when we have lots of options.
Vatanen out of Anaheim. Las Vegas with Miller/Schmidt. If Boston misses the playoffs maybe a Kevin Miller/McQuaid. De haan is an option. Carlson UFA. Our internal options of Dermott/Lily and the Russian kid (rumoured). No need to do something just for the sake of. We aren't in the drivers seat here. OEL is still signed through next year.

He won't be cheap, it's going to cost Nylander/Marner+

Vatanen is possible but he doesn't really fit what we need and I can't see Vegas trading young defensemen when there team building, I also doubt the Islanders will sell this year, Boston could be a problematic trade partner for us, Washington will be close to the playoffs so it's doubtful there looking to sell either

If were going to hold and wait for the kids to help the D out we'd be better off selling and putting those assets together for a quality 3C, that would really help come playoffs time

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'd do something like Gardiner + Kapanen + ??, I wouldn't move Marner/Nylander/Matthews though.

While some people may think it would HAVE to include one of those three, I'm really not convinced. Big trades for players like Pronger, Shattenkirk, Kovalchuk, Hossa, B. Richards, Kessel (at least when we traded him away), etc didn't require a piece of that calibre. Star players that aren't under control long-term get traded for packages of ~3 or so pieces, rather than for complete stud young players with pedigree that are also proven at the NHL level.

Maximus74

Mar 5, 2006
Ontario
Why would we trade premium assets for a season and half of a guy that has not been elite for a few years?

Looking at last season, would you rather have player A or B?

GPGAP+/-
A79122739-25
B829344324
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Realistically a guy of this calibre doesn't net much more than Kapanen, Dermott and a 1st if actually AVAILABLE. Anyone who suggests Marner or Nylander with a significant plus should take a hike and stay away from crack :)

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
At least we've moved on from the media trying to trade Nylander for Brandon ****ing Montour to OEL, its less insulting, still annoying as hell.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
A great defender is more important than a good winger .. everyday all day.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think it'll be too expensive for what it's worth. I would maybe consider signing him if he reaches FA or trading Gardiner + for him, but it'll take something special and I do not know if it is really worth it. It's the same sort of idea with Doughty.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't really agree with Bob McKenzie, you rarely ever see a one for one young star for soon to be UFA star trade in the NHL. This reeks of a break up the big three cliche OEL is also being overrated a bit here. He isn't Erik Karlsson. I suspect he would eventually be moved for a Phil Kessel type deal. Recent first round pick, more mature prospect and a 1st rounder. Coyotes sink like a stone even more and try to scoop up early pikcs in 2018 and 2019.

KLM-Line

May 8, 2007
Munich
OEL would be worth a trade involving Marner or Nylander. We won't get an OEL internally. Even if OEL gets traded the Coyotes will rather look for a top center (prospect) than an elite winger as the main piece. It's just natural that Bob brought the topic up as an OEL trade in general is a realistic scenario and the Leafs are one of the most prominent teams in dire need of a #1D.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
dont know why this thread is even here, it said that the AZ was not trading him, unless all of a sudden there was a change of heart

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Gardiner, JVR and our 1st for OEL. Arizona flips JVR at the deadline for at least a first. Works out to Gards and 2 1sts (+).

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There'd be plenty of interest if he were to be made available, but Marner or Nylander - Matthews is untouchable IMO - seems like too big a price to pay to upgrade the left side or have someone play their off-side long-term. Don't know what combination of picks/prospects gets a realistic or worthwhile deal done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad