TSN: On Ekman-Larsson and the Maple Leafs

Would you trade any of the big 3 for OEL?

• Trade Matthews for OEL

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Trade Nylander for OEL

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Trade Marner for OEL

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Don't trade for OEL

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • Trade prospects/picks for OEL

Votes: 44 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorgeez

Jul 4, 2009
These kind of articles are ridiculous because it's just baseless speculation. This is from the article "The funny thing is, outside of some creative thinking by those who believe OEL to the Leafs makes a lot of common sense for both teams, there doesn’t appear, at this moment anyway, to be any real basis in fact to it." I know Bob is a reputable insider but come on.
This is TSN trying to trade Nylander again because the team is winning and they have nothing juicy to talk about. I realize we need to add another top defender but I don't think this is the route to go. We have dermott/lilly in the pipeline I think we need to be patient or wait for someone less costly to become available. When has anything from this current management been leaked out the answer is never. The leafs twitter feed has been breaking leafs trades/signings.

I can't wait to have Nylander signed long term, look forward to watching him tear it up for a long time.

I don't post much at all but I felt like venting not impressed with this article lol.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As I Leaf fan I cringe when thinking of trading a couple of 1sts. Your welcome Arizona for the quality C and top 4 RHD you drafted there. Probably would be good added to our own team.

The state of the D man market is the main reason why I don't think the Leafs are ever going to "solve" this issue for the team via a trade.

It'll have to come via internal development. Fortunately with Dermott and Liljegren there might be a exactly what the Leafs need already within the organization.

Reactions: BillDerlago

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
the cost would be ugly. Unless they're willing to take Gardiner+JVR (to flip)+a pick I think we're better off not doing it, and OEL's due for a contract renewal that's going to be expensive

It's a cap world, there's a limit on how many allstar talents you can have when they aren't on ELC's

Reactions: Menzinger

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
Gardiner, JVR, Bozak, 20million cash (in brown paper bag under table.....leaf collection bag)

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The state of the D man market is the main reason why I don't think the Leafs are ever going to "solve" this issue for the team via a trade.

It'll have to come via internal development. Fortunately with Dermott and Liljegren there might be a exactly what the Leafs need already within the organization.
This is why I say we're in no hurry.
If we aren't keeping JVR the reason for keeping both Nylander and Marner as wingers is greater. They will replace JVR as they mature. Players like Hyman/Brown/Kappy will slot in around to provide forecheck/PK/defense and secondary scoring.
That being said if we aren't keeping JVR I'd still rather move him. Having 2 1st round picks in a strong 18 draft will go along way to supporting the roster. Development time is not that far removed from the current age of our 3. In 3 years the big 3 will be 23, the wave of Dermott/Lily will be in the NHL and the drafted players from 2018 will be 21.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
1 - Bob says he doesn't think its going to happen.

2 - Bob says the teams haven't talked.

3 - Bob says he doesn't think the Leafs have shifted away from building around the 3 kids.

This is as "nothing" an article as nothing articles get.

Bob really shouldn't have written it then.

As for trading Nylander for a near-UFA, well, pretty sure this management is too smart to do that.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I swear... Nylander must have killed the TSN office guinea pig or something. They've been trying to push him out the door since he was drafted.

No. I don't trade Matthews (obviously).
No. I don't trade Nylander.
I'm more willing to trade Marner, but only for an outstanding return (as in, OEL+, I don't care if it is "fair" to the Yotes).

For OEL, in part due to his contract situation and part due to not being all that stressed about needing a #1 defenseman, I'd offer Kapanen+++. I'd really try to avoid giving up Dermott and wouldn't give up Liljegren.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Nope. Just wait and see who makes it to UFA and go after those players. Wait for Liljegren to develop, see how the team does this playoff run before making any decision.

We didn't lose to the Capitals because our defense wasn't good enough. We lost because our offensive depth wasn't as good as theirs at the time. We're fine defensively. Middle of the pack at the moment and potential to get better.

Agreed. Wait until one becomes available via the UFA market. Otherwise keep improving 3-6.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
OEL doesn't suppress enough shots to go after imo unless it's as an FA, I haven't checked the stats though. John Carlson seems like a more attractive option, if only as an upgrade to Jake Gardiner in the future.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
OEL doesn't suppress enough shots to go after imo unless it's as an FA, I haven't checked the stats though. John Carlson seems like a more attractive option, if only as an upgrade to Jake Gardiner in the future.
I'd still rather trade for Savard if he's an option. RHD is better for us.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
As I Leaf fan I cringe when thinking of trading a couple of 1sts. Your welcome Arizona for the quality C and top 4 RHD you drafted there. Probably would be good added to our own team.

If OEL puts us into genuine cup contention who cares what those late 1st round picks turn into?

If you can get a top 4D and a quality C in the late first that's a bloody good effort as well

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If OEL puts us into genuine cup contention who cares what those late 1st round picks turn into?

If you can get a top 4D and a quality C in the late first that's a bloody good effort as well
If he does but the cost may be more than we're willing to pay and still no guarantee.
OEL isn't the be all end all. We don't need to get roped into some insane overpayment when we have lots of options.
Vatanen out of Anaheim. Las Vegas with Miller/Schmidt. If Boston misses the playoffs maybe a Kevin Miller/McQuaid. De haan is an option. Carlson UFA. Our internal options of Dermott/Lily and the Russian kid (rumoured). No need to do something just for the sake of. We aren't in the drivers seat here. OEL is still signed through next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad