News Article: On cusp of free agency, Johnny Boychuk wants to stay with Bruins

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Maybe he'll take a discount since he loves it here so much?

Wishful thinking :(

Seidenberg just took 4m for 4 years... So maybe not out of the question. We REALLY lucked out with that signing, holy God. Imagine how much he would have gotten on the market last July? Orpik got 5.5! He's a washed up #5. Seidenberg is still one of the better #2s in the league.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
You get rid of Kelly, Campbell, Paille, McQuaid , Bartkowski.....any combo you need to get boychuk his 5.5 per year....

Chara-Hamilton
Seids-Boychuk.

You go to war with that top four...Dk , Bergeron, Yeti and Rask down the middle...you fill in the rest after that.

stungun

Feb 28, 2002
Portland, ME
www.seanrileysite.com
why are we in cap hell already for next 2015 season? i dont get it ? the cap is projected to go up, we are free of the (?) 4.7 million dollar bonus money for iggy. so where do our future cap problems come from? of course we have ufas and rfas but every team does. no way i trade manchuck for supposedly future cap concerns and a low return to boot. this year you trade caron and mcquade to start and fill in the 3 and 4th lines with youngsters alongside kelly/carl and paille/campbell. maybe trade bartowski too plus the ltir from savard and we are ready.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
You get rid of Kelly, Campbell, Paille, McQuaid , Bartkowski.....any combo you need to get boychuk his 5.5 per year....

Chara-Hamilton
Seids-Boychuk.

You go to war with that top four...Dk , Bergeron, Yeti and Rask down the middle...you fill in the rest after that.

I agree. This would be the dream solution. Chia really messed this up by giving these Cup payments, Kelly had no business getting that contract. I love Cage, I do. But that contract is killing us. I don't know what Chia will do, I'd just hate to see Johnny go. It would be a big mistake. Biiiiiiiig mistake.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
IF, Boychuk is the one traded (he's still out there) it won't be as a salary dump, but a hockey trade.

If you are looking for a "salary dump" of sorts (not Boychuk) you're looking at a deal with: Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, NYR, NYI, Columbus, Detroit and heaven forbid Montreal (which likely won't happen).

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
IF, Boychuk is the one traded (he's still out there) it won't be as a salary dump, but a hockey trade.

If you are looking for a "salary dump" of sorts (not Boychuk) you're looking at a deal with: Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, NYR, NYI, Columbus, Detroit and heaven forbid Montreal (which likely won't happen).

I guess Chris Kelly wants to stay in the northeast. Thanks for the info, Dom! You're one of the few reasons I still visit here!

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I'd be pissed if Boychuk gets traded.

Johnny is rarely injured, is a solid d-man during the regular season, and a beast in the playoffs ...and I want to see him pound PK into the ice (as a Bruin) for many more years to come.

9656618.jpg

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I'd love to see the guy stay. *sighs* The downside of a cap league. Who would want to let a playoff warrior go?

I can see them working it out so he stays this season. There are roads.

...but in the future...geesh...just can't see it. He deserves a solid raise. Someone will give it to him. Can't see us swinging it.

I'm not too concerned about return...I'd rather keep him this year, if possible...unless, of course, a team is willing to give us a young, steady, cheap, #4D. Yeah, right.

The Bruins do need to find that guy before Boychuk can go...don't think he's here now...def not right now...

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I'd be pissed if Boychuk gets traded.

Johnny is rarely injured, is a solid d-man during the regular season, and a beast in the playoffs ...and I want to see him pound PK into the ice (as a Bruin) for many more years to come.

9656618.jpg

Anyone who can do that to a 9 million$ D-man is worth making room for;)

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
IMO, moving Krug is not an option. He is untradable.

The PP would go right back to being useless again.
...and we CANNOT afford that with this year's line-up.

We all remember how long it took us to find a guy that stirs our power play? A decade. Heh. Or at least it felt like it.

I understand Krugs name comes up. But I just don't get it. He's unique to us...and critical...

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I just don't see anyone on this roster who replaces Boychuk if he's indeed moved.

Chara - Hamilton
(____) - Seidenberg
Krug - Miller

McQuaid
Bartowski
Morrow

I just don't see it. I can rattle off 6 names who are in the system & ready to replace Kelly.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

We all remember how long it took us to find a guy that stirs our power play? A decade. Heh. Or at least it felt like it.

I understand Krugs name comes up. But I just don't get it. He's unique to us...and critical...

I agree. Krug is the primary reason why the PP has improved so dramatically. Not only for what he does, but how his presence allows the other unit to succeed. He should be signed, and he should stay.

Mr. Smith, I'm not as sold on. Assuming he's here :)help:) and contributing, I'm keen to see how well he does in his sophomore season with the Bruins. Apparently, they love him...

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

The whole ides that Krug us the savior of out power play.... is just sad.

We had s good power play with savard.... and kessel.....

I Stoll put the poor power play on the forwards more so than the d.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I just don't see anyone on this roster who replaces Boychuk if he's indeed moved.

Chara - Hamilton
(____) - Seidenberg
Krug - Miller

McQuaid
Bartowski
Morrow

I just don't see it. I can rattle off 6 names who are in the system & ready to replace Kelly.

If we want Hamilton to pair next to Chara, a Seidenberg - Boychuk pairing isn't the best. In that scenario, it would be best to move Boychuk, however, a top 4 of Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton, and Boychuk is a really good D-core. I can take a season with Seidenberg and Hamilton paired together again until we see how things go with Boychuk a year from now. If Boychuk is on the way out, maybe they see Miller as a good fit next to Seidenberg, who knows? I bet we are going to see the likes of Miller, Warsofsky, Bartkowski, Trotman, Krug (hopefully signed by then), and Morrow paired next to Seidenberg during camp. If one of those guys impress next to Seidenberg, maybe the B's will think about trading Boychuk for more help up front. But yes, I would rather keep Boychuk and trade the Kelly's and Campbell's of the world to give us cap space.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I agree. Krug is the primary reason why the PP has improved so dramatically. Not only for what he does, but how his presence allows the other unit to succeed. He should be signed, and he should stay.

Mr. Smith, I'm not as sold on. Assuming he's here :)help:) and contributing, I'm keen to see how well he does in his sophomore season with the Bruins. Apparently, they love him...

Agreed. I need to see more of Smith too...esspecially at fairly cheap money, makes it an easy call. He could be an improving shooter. Those are in-need around here.

The whole ides that Krug us the savior of out power play.... is just sad.

We had s good power play with savard.... and kessel.....

I Stoll put the poor power play on the forwards more so than the d.

Savard and Kessel? We had a good PP with Oates and Neely too. :laugh:

I'm just concerned with the current reality.

Sure, there's a few ways to do it...having the right PPQB is one of them...and Krug has been shown to work...

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
If we want Hamilton to pair next to Chara, a Seidenberg - Boychuk pairing isn't the best. In that scenario, it would be best to move Boychuk, however, a top 4 of Chara, Seidenberg, Hamilton, and Boychuk is a really good D-core. I can take a season with Seidenberg and Hamilton paired together again until we see how things go with Boychuk a year from now. If Boychuk is on the way out, maybe they see Miller as a good fit next to Seidenberg, who knows? I bet we are going to see the likes of Miller, Warsofsky, Bartkowski, Trotman, Krug (hopefully signed by then), and Morrow paired next to Seidenberg during camp. If one of those guys impress next to Seidenberg, maybe the B's will think about trading Boychuk for more help up front. But yes, I would rather keep Boychuk and trade the Kelly's and Campbell's of the world to give us cap space.

My hope is that Krug develops his defensive game & can step into that 2nd pairing 2015-16 season.

Chara -Hamilton
Krug - Seidenberg
Bartkowski - Miller

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Get Bartkowski out of here before even considering Boychuk.

Agree 100%

Boychuk is the epitome of a Boston Bruin, and will be very hard to replace, while Bartkowski's are a dime a dozen.

.....Manchuk knows how to take a number and get even ....the proper way.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
My hope is that Krug develops his defensive game & can step into that 2nd pairing 2015-16 season.

Chara -Hamilton
Krug - Seidenberg
Bartkowski - Miller

That would be ideal. I think he can do it, but we'll have to see.

Sure, there's a few ways to do it...having the right PPQB is one of them...and Krug has been shown to work...

It's not that I think we should trade Krug, the B's probably have every intention of re-signing him, but couldn't Spooner theoretically play PPQB on that Krejci unit?? The only downfall in my eyes is that Spooner hasn't proven that he can do it yet or that the unit would work with him on it, but I do think Spooner has all the tools to play PPQB there. If you were to ask me what PP-unit I would play the first shift on the PP, my preference would be the Bergy unit.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
That would be ideal. I think he can do it, but we'll have to see.

It's not that I think we should trade Krug, the B's probably have every intention of re-signing him, but couldn't Spooner theoretically play PPQB on that Krejci unit?? The only downfall in my eyes is that Spooner hasn't proven that he can do it yet or that the unit would work with him on it, but I do think Spooner has all the tools to play PPQB there. If you were to ask me what PP-unit I would play the first shift on the PP, my preference would be the Bergy unit.

Let's ask Spooner if he's comfortable playing defense...and watch the kid have a panic attack and lock himself in the closet...

I jest. I get what you're saying. I agree that Spooner as PPQB is interesting.

Problem is...Soderberg is cool. Haha

I think the Bruins will have a go at re-signing him.

Plus, as I said, Krug has been shown to work.

The line of guys that have worked as PPQB for the Bruins over the last half-decade is very small, while the line of talented failures is long.

Not messing with a ultra rare winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad