News Article: On cusp of free agency, Johnny Boychuk wants to stay with Bruins

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
"It's tough to hear (trade speculation). But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what anybody says. If it happens, then you work on that part. Until it does you can't control it, so you've just got to keep playing. You always want to stay here. If something happens, it does. Every year somebody is going to leave off of a team. Even if you win a championship, somebody is going to leave. You're not going to see the exact same team every year. People come and go; that's part of the game. If you like a place, as a lot of people do here, you want to stay."

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...free_agency_johnny_boychuk_wants_to_stay_with

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
"It's tough to hear (trade speculation). But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what anybody says. If it happens, then you work on that part. Until it does you can't control it, so you've just got to keep playing. You always want to stay here. If something happens, it does. Every year somebody is going to leave off of a team. Even if you win a championship, somebody is going to leave. You're not going to see the exact same team every year. People come and go; that's part of the game. If you like a place, as a lot of people do here, you want to stay."

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...free_agency_johnny_boychuk_wants_to_stay_with

I really hate this situation, but logically speaking, JB55 is the most valuable trade asset the Bruins have. Both in terms of cap relief & right wing return. It's a drag, but I don't see any way out of it. :(

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
IF he gets dealt I'll be disappointed but happy I got to see a JOHNNY ROCKET in person.

Love watching him, love what he brings to the bruins.

I'll continue to hold out hope he stays a B for a long time.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
That's good to hear. I'd love to see the Bruin's re-sign Boychuk to a 5 year deal for 20 million (4 million cap hit). He can get more elsewhere, so the question is really whether he wants to stay with the team or whether he wants money.

Not in favor of trading Boychuk this season for any reason. We have enough cap space for our roster.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If he gets moved only because salary dump, I'll be beyond pissed off.

No way he should go for $$$$ before Kelly and Bartowski.

If it's for a top winger it'll be easier to swallow I guess.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Like you say Wally, it's all about the $$$, so even if he does last the season we'll see if he signs a contract to stick around if he has more money on the table elsewhere.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Remember, the B's need enough $$ space to sign Krug & Smith. It's not strictly about cap space, or right wing help. And, PC wants both TK & RS in camp, which suggests he might act sooner rather than later.

It will be very interesting to see what Chia does.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
If it's for a legit top 6 player that will give us at least a few years and got in, fine.

But I think trading Boychuk is a big mistake otherwise

He brings it in the playoffs and is a horse.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Remember, the B's need enough $$ space to sign Krug & Smith. It's not strictly about cap space, or right wing help. And, PC wants both TK & RS in camp, which suggests he might act sooner rather than later.

Trade Krug, Smith and Bart......

ok, maybe just Bart and Krug.

but honestly, going forward, if the choice came down to Krug or Boychuck......

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

And other teams must realize that as well, which might limit the return a bit. Guess it depends how much of a priority it is for any potential trade partners to get a D like Johnny B.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass

Not necessarily.

Krug and Smith can remain 'unsigned' a few ways :naughty: and still remain with the team...

...they (The Bruins) do however need to fill a roster under the cap before October 2nd.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Yet another factor: Johnny Rocket will be unrestricted next summer and will command Orpik + money. By all accounts, the B's will still be in cap purgatory & therefore unlikely to shell out the dough. So, either Johnny takes a discount to stay in Boston -- something the front office would obviously have to confirm -- or it's trade now for cap relief/right wing return. Or a go for it gamble again (ala Iggy); keep him and let him walk for nothing in free agency.

"May you live in interesting times." :help:

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Boychuk is one of our top playoff performers. It's a little disturbing to think Boychuk won't be with us during the playoffs...

A Healthy Kelly*

i take krug for the long haul, blindly assuming management (especially under this coach) would not allow for a defense that is weak in their own zone on the whole sans injury (similar to what we saw for a stretch last season when bart was playing a ton/seidenberg situation). of course, they could be forced into such a situation, but i'm operating from a point of objective idealism here where everything works out (although it never does lol).

boychuk is a hell of a player who did everything that was asked of him. he was a caricature of what you want in a defenseman, a standup, strong, big man with a huge heart, a killer ****ing slapshot, and a penchant for making momentum swinging hits. if/when he goes i'm going to miss him like hell. class A bruin, class A man.

anything that comes back for him that isn't an utter shock in terms of the other team for some absurd reason coughing up way too much will be a disappointment to me. that said, and as others have said, he is the logical albeit unfortunate choice.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Understatement. Would be an enormous strike against Chiarelli if Boychuk is a cap casualty. He's on a GREAT contract and is an integral part of this defense. That makes him easy to move, but that doesn't mean it's right.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Yet another factor: Johnny Rocket will be unrestricted next summer and will command Orpik + money. By all accounts, the B's will still be in cap purgatory & therefore unlikely to shell out the dough. So, either Johnny takes a discount to stay in Boston -- something the front office would obviously have to confirm -- or it's trade now for cap relief/right wing return. Or a go for it gamble again (ala Iggy); keep him and let him walk for nothing in free agency.

People are just saying the bolded part. I don't get it.

The Bruins have to clear salary and sign 2 players.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Perhaps if the drafting was just mediocre under PC's watch we wouldn't be potentially facing the situation of dumping JB55 just for cap space for the upcoming season. It'd be nice to have some cheap, young talent on the roster like Saad or Toffoli. If that were the case he wouldn't have had to overpay guys like Kelly.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

Doesn't Krug hit FA after this season too though? Or is it two more years?

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad