On a positive note, JVR gonna rip it up this year

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
IMO JVR is underrated by Leaf fans. Despite scoring 2 goals less than Kessel (tied with Kadri) and was 3rd on the team in points, you seldom heard praise like Kessel and Kadri received. Heck, Lupul, who was injured for the majority of the season received more praise.

Are we talking about the same Kessel? The guy who got crapped on a regular basis for years? Just making sure.

But yes, JVR looks great. Considerably quicker and more willing to use his linemates,

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
The great thing about the possibility of JVR going to another level is that it won't cost the Leafs more money, he's locked in.

This doesn't seem popular right now but I think Clarkson is going to score at a higher rate than he did in New Jersey. He gets his shot off quickly and hard and on target seemingly at every opportunity. With goalies having smaller pads and him playing with an excellent playmaker in either Kessel or Kadri, I'm predicting big things once his season starts.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
this is what the bench mark should be. He will never be a PPG top tier player but he's got that star like attribute in him like Rick Nash... Nash is really only a 65 point player and that's what i'm hoping for from JVR. I'm going to guess he puts in 27 goals 32 a.

I think this is a fair assessment, but I can see a few 70 point seasons out of him. He plays parallel to Phil Kessel, who seems to turn anyone into a top tier player. (With the exception of Bozak :sarcasm:)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
JVR is a beast. Kind of like the John Leclair trade, only this time Philly is the one getting jobbed.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I got this

sp-620-riemsdyk-thumb-620xauto-276319.jpg

xyzz

Aug 18, 2008
I agree, love JVR, loved him in the playoffs, and love the contract.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
JVR is the kind of player every team wishes they had. So glad we got him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think JVR may develop into a John Leclair minus the nastiness. If Gauthier can develop his scoring touch, we could have a pretty interesting line in the future.

JVR - Gauthier - Kessel :)

Leclair wasn't too nasty himself for a power forward...

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Leclair wasn't too nasty himself for a power forward...
I suppose so in relation to Eric Lindros and Brind'amour. You really don't see that many power forwards like in the past. JVR needs to be a lot more consistent and be more willing to use his body if he wants to be a PWF.

Clarkson is a PWF, but he just doesn't have JVR's offensive upside. If only if the two could merge...

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
I suppose so in relation to Eric Lindros and Brind'amour. You really don't see that many power forwards like in the past. JVR needs to be a lot more consistent and be more willing to use his body if he wants to be a PWF.

Clarkson is a PWF, but he just doesn't have JVR's offensive upside. If only if the two could merge...

Better yet, only if we could have a little bit of both on separate lines.....oh wait, we do :D

Remuskokafication

Jul 7, 2008
Scarborough
I really wish Carlyle would play him on a line with Kadri. I think if they clicked and you had:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kardi-Clarkson

there'd be potential for a 1a 1b thing to happen. Not that Clarkson's a first line player, but I think he could provide the same weird counter balance to those two that Bozak does for Kessel.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
i admit that i wasn't a huge JVR fan last season. i thought he was alright... and that the did well because he played on a top line with kessel. i didn't think he was bad or anything, i just didn't think he was anything speical.

but he played amazing in the playoffs last year... and he looks even better in pre-season.

my opinion of him has certainly changed... looks like he's gonna rip it up this year.

leafstilldeath*

If JVR and Kadri are around 70 points each, Kessel is Kessel and Gardiner takes a step forward, are the leafs serious cup threats these playoffs?

I would think so.

With the crap Leafs Nation has gone through

No Cup since 1967
No playoffs for almost a decade
The way we lost the 1st round series against Bruins

I would say its about time! :crossfing

PLEASE GOD

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I really wish Carlyle would play him on a line with Kadri. I think if they clicked and you had:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kardi-Clarkson

there'd be potential for a 1a 1b thing to happen. Not that Clarkson's a first line player, but I think he could provide the same weird counter balance to those two that Bozak does for Kessel.

Or jvr- Kadri- kessel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad