On a positive note, JVR gonna rip it up this year

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I want to see some JVR-Kadri-Raymond this year.

I wish, the times I've seen kadri and jvr they don't seem to have chemistry.

Also like to point out that even though Biggs isn't gonna be what jvr is, look how long it took jvr to get here, you really need to grow into your body and mature as an athlete. Need to show patience with guys like this

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I just love his net crashing... we haven't had someone like that in a while. And then on top of that he can roof the puck from in close, has a lot of speed, a good shot in general and he can pass. I'm expecting around 30-30 from him, think he ends up with something like 28-25 though

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Can't believe we got James van ****ing Reimsdyk for Luke Schenn :laugh:

I'm not hating on Schenn, but he's barely a top 4

Wasp

Feb 27, 2004
T.O.
What a tremendous trade that was. Guys like Schenn are so much easier to replace than guys like JVR. His combination of size, speed, and skill means the sky is the limit for him. Plus, he's just entering his prime at 24 years old. It wouldn't surprise me if he was an All-Star this year.

mikebel111*

this guy is one of my fav leafs. The way he handles himself in his interviews. he screams leader to me. combine that with improved speed and elite talent. I think his playmaking is very underrated around here. look at that pass to leivo a game ago.

mikebel111*

I wish, the times I've seen kadri and jvr they don't seem to have chemistry.

Also like to point out that even though Biggs isn't gonna be what jvr is, look how long it took jvr to get here, you really need to grow into your body and mature as an athlete. Need to show patience with guys like this

I think the unfair of hate has been on biggs. he is a PWF who will take maybe 3 years to fully grow. we need to be patient. I understand the hate on colborne but not biggs.

morrielly

Dec 4, 2012
toronto
Him and gardiner are going to be INCREDIBLE for us this year. I am predicting 60-70+ points with jvr and top-pairing play from gards

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What a tremendous trade that was. Guys like Schenn are so much easier to replace than guys like JVR. His combination of size, speed, and skill means the sky is the limit for him. Plus, he's just entering his prime at 24 years old. It wouldn't surprise me if he was an All-Star this year.

Our whole top 6 (except for Bozie) could be all-stars, plus Dion and Gardiner I think could :laugh:

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Considering his draft position, and compared to Kessel, he sure has gotten away with little scrutiny in this market. Maybe because of all the hype from when he was in Philly, always on the verge of putting it all together. If he can be consistent the sky is the limit.

Watching him in the playoffs last year was also amazing. He was a beast out there. Hopefully that can translate from the playoffs and this preseason to the regular season.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Our whole top 6 (except for Bozie) could be all-stars, plus Dion and Gardiner I think could :laugh:

Is it still east vs west all star game? 16 teams in east, 14 in west. Just by the numbers it will be harder for players to be making it. Players such as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are now competing for the east team as well.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Is it still east vs west all star game? 16 teams in east, 14 in west. Just by the numbers it will be harder for players to be making it. Players such as Datsyuk and Zetterberg are now competing for the east team as well.

All Star Team was decided by draft in the last 2 years so it wouldn't be a problem

As for JVR, I'm really excited on how well he'll play this year when he was only limited to 91 Regular season games in the last 2 years

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

No it's not. Teams get drafted.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
All Star Team was decided by draft in the last 2 years so it wouldn't be a problem

As for JVR, I'm really excited on how well he'll play this year when he was only limited to 91 Regular season games in the last 2 years

Oh right :facepalm: You can see how much I pay attention to the all-star game :laugh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He's been kinda lucky in a way. Despite being a #2 overall pick, and coming into the biggest market/fishbowl in hockey, he's managed to stay under the radar here due to the prominance of Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf, and Kadri. He doesn't have a lot of pressure on him to perform, since there's other guys in the lineup who can get it done, and Lupul is right there to pick up his slack on the left side if need be.

He got the change of scenery he needed and has room/time to finish developing his game into the powerforward he was supposed to become.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
JVR's skating seems to be better than ever this year, or maybe it's just a more consistent effort so far than usual. But he seems to be making plays every single shift, which he didn't do last year.

The key with JVR is consistency. When he turns it on he can be pretty dominant, but he tends to dissappear for long stretches.

But no doubt, he and Gardiner have been very, very impressive this preseason, and both have the talent and opportunity to have big breakout seasons this year.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

Yup. That's the main reason why it was such a great trade for us. Picked up an asset in JVR without creating any holes in our lineup as Fraser essentially replaced what Schenn provided us with.

Last edited:

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
If JVR and Kadri are around 70 points each, Kessel is Kessel and Gardiner takes a step forward, are the leafs serious cup threats these playoffs?

I would think so.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Clarkson isn't really an all-star. His game is more suited for crashing and banging around the net for goals/points. The All-star game is all finesse and no physicality.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
He's been kinda lucky in a way. Despite being a #2 overall pick, and coming into the biggest market/fishbowl in hockey, he's managed to stay under the radar here due to the prominance of Kessel, Lupul, Phaneuf, and Kadri. He doesn't have a lot of pressure on him to perform, since there's other guys in the lineup who can get it done, and Lupul is right there to pick up his slack on the left side if need be.

He got the change of scenery he needed and has room/time to finish developing his game into the powerforward he was supposed to become.

I wouldn't throw Lupul in there. Lupul has it easy. For all the time he's missed due to injuries, he's still a fan favourite.

I do agree that there are a few players on the team that really take the brunt of it all that allow other guys to play their game with less expectations or scrutiny. You've listed them though - Kessel, Kadri and Phaneuf are those guys in my opinion.

JVR is having a great preseason and I hope that's forshadowing to what we can expect from him on a consistent basis in the regular season. No one player is expected to pot goals in every game but if they bring a consistent effort, they'll be rewarded in more ways than just goals. We know he's got another gear in playoffs. It'll be nice to see him step up his game over the course of a full season.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I'm expecting for a 30/30 season from him.

I'm hoping for 25 goals and 60 points from him atleast. He looks great out there.

Excepting 25g-35a from JVR.

this is what the bench mark should be. He will never be a PPG top tier player but he's got that star like attribute in him like Rick Nash... Nash is really only a 65 point player and that's what i'm hoping for from JVR. I'm going to guess he puts in 27 goals 32 a.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
You have to love his ability to roof it top corner in limited space. If he can do that consistently over 82 games that contract will be a bargain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad