GDT: OMG!: 6/12 | SCF Game 1 | Boston Bruins @ Chicago Blackhawks part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Moves I hated in OT:

1. Not playing Thornton more, especially in the third OT, but in a specific way that I will adress in point 2.

2. When playing Thornton, playing him with ****ing Chris Kelly and Kaspars Daugavins.

You could trust Shawn to take a few more shifts there, but let him skate with better players. Don't put him out there with Kelly ("abysmal" last night isn't strong enough to describe his play) and Kaspars Daugavins (who should have played less than Thornton, a guy that is completely useless).

I think you can trust Shawn to play a little more, especially when everyone else was moving in cement, but let him grab a shift with Bergeron or Krejci at some point.

The Horton injury was killing us as the game went on longer since we were down a body, so you have to try and so something to keep some energy going.

3. Not benching Krug, especially by the middle of the second OT when it was clear he was just awful. I mean, Krug had the one super killer mistake everyone is focusing on, but he was also awful all night. And I was screaming during the third OT on this board that he needed to be benched.

Every other defenseman we had last night, even exhausted, was a better choice.

It's tough to shorton your bench in multiple OT's. I mean I agree that Krug had a rough game overall, but Julien was kind of handcuffed in needing to give other guys rest. Incidentally I thought offensively Krug still brought a lot to the table.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Krug's giveaway was brutal, but what was Seidenberg doing on that OT goal, looks to get back in the play, goes back to pick up his glove & the Hawks score...if he would have just went back into the play with no glove he MAY have had his guy or at least shoved him a bit so the puck didn't hit him.
I get it was triple OT & people are tired, but man .

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Krug was disappointing last night :cry:

Don't be too hard on the kid. WAY in over his head at this stage in his career. The fact that he has done so well up until now considering his experience is really quite amazing.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I think his size and experience is too evident at this point and being the finals you pat him on the back and sit him.

Yeah I wouldn't take issue with it. Similar thing with Dougie.

A "We love ya, you're going to be huge for our organization, but we gotta do what's best for the team right now" type of thing.

We have some good depth on the blue-line, we should not hesitate to use it when one of our guys is struggling.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Does Thornton really suck that much where you can't give him some shifts even in double and triple OT?
He must have been well rested compared to everyone else. In the third OT, everyone was avoiding contact, save a few defensemen. Throw Thornton out there to forcheck and bang some tired ass bodies and cause some turnovers! But I guess Julien would rather roll 10 forwards, 9.5 counting Dogboy

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
btw, on the Krug giveaway, a lot of people are saying he should have gone up the boards. I have a feeling if he had we'd have just as many people ripping him for hitting a teammate during a line change and putting us on the PK.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Does Thornton really suck that much where you can't give him some shifts even in double and triple OT?
He must have been well rested compared to everyone else. In the third OT, everyone was avoiding contact, save a few defensemen. Throw Thornton out there to forcheck and bang some tired ass bodies and cause some turnovers! But I guess Julien would rather roll 10 forwards, 9.5 counting Dogboy

As many have said, I can't even imagine why you'd dress him then. It seems completely pointless to me. I'd think the opposite would make more sense: don't play him during the game and play him more late when people are gased. The reverse seems counterintuitive.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Yeah I wouldn't take issue with it. Similar thing with Dougie.

A "We love ya, you're going to be huge for our organization, but we gotta do what's best for the team right now" type of thing.

We have some good depth on the blue-line, we should not hesitate to use it when one of our guys is struggling.
So who do you replace him with?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
But, Clode did bench Krug for a long stretch. He obviously screwed up that pass, but he is a rookie playing in his first Cup game so I'll give him a pass; he's been superb for us up until last night. I believe he'll bounce back. And, he wasn't too bad on our penultimate powerplay; had good skating legs. Glad he wasn't yanked in the 3rd OT; can't really blame that goal on him at all; and with aging Chara/Seids/Ference sucking major wind out there, I don't know how you sit a youngster with much fresher legs in that situation.

I thought Krug played his worst hockey in the third OT.

And this isn't second-guessing, i was saying this things while they happened.

I wouldn't bench Krug next game, but I would have last night in that third OT. His last shift before the winning goal was so bad I thought Claude might have him deported. Then, there he was.

I would have preferred any of the other 5, as exhausted as they were, over him at that point. Just a disaster of a game.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
seems like it's always a problem for us. No one can bury a ****ing shot when they need to. UGHHHHHH /RANT

To be honest, I'd say quite a few have been buried when we needed them. 3 in the last 10 mins of game 7 Toronto series, Bergeron Game 7 OT winner, Marchand OT winner NYR etc, etc. Do you think maybe we are a bit spoiled perhaps.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Don't be too hard on the kid. WAY in over his head at this stage in his career. The fact that he has done so well up until now considering his experience is really quite amazing.

Agreed in full. I love the kid. Without him, I don't think we are in our current situation. That being said, we're in the Stanley Cup finals with some good depth.

If Krug plays well next game, keep him in. If he doesn't look so hot, consider giving a look to our other guys. Even Looch needed a game in the press-box... sometimes you just need to give a guy a night off. But by no means am I trying undermine Krug, he's a joy to watch and I'm very excited to see him develop.

theswede2013

Feb 26, 2013
If Horton is out do we see Soderberg or Caron? I hope for the Yetti. I thought the Bruins looked good for many parts of the game. The lucky bounces went for the Hawks here. Off Ferences skate, dogman muffing a lay up, Chara hitting a post, bouncing puck on Seguin, I did not see the stats but i think we out chanced them. the compete level was there. The hawks had some good surges of their own. But we knew this because they are good team. I think and pray that we will take game 2.

Go Bruins!!!

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
So on one hand, we wanted Claude to play his last forward on the bench more, to capitalize on his fresh legs and keep other guys from getting gassed; on the other hand, we wanted Claude to sit his last D man on the bench, despite his fresh legs and the fact that the other D men were likely gassed in triple OT.

I understand that the players and their positions are different, but still...

The Kid

Jun 19, 2011
The Krug mistake is highlighted only because it led to a goal. This team is famous for ill-advised cross-ice passes either out of their own end, or in the offensive zone. These passes happen all the time, but this one led to a goal. That's it. The third goal against was rubbish luck. The game was ours, and we had multiple chances to bury it in OT(s), but didn't. It was going to come down to another trash goal like tossing it at the net and something going in.

Don't sit Krug. Kid is too important to this team right now. Those mistakes happen every game.

Seguin looked hungry last night. I liked to see. Other third liners are making my head hurt. Please produce something. Please.

Blackhawks are 100% beatable. Our defense is awesome and our power play is producing opportunity.

Really tough loss because of the duration of play, and the fact that the game was in hand, so to speak... but this team is the most mentally tough team I've ever seen. They will be back in a big way on Saturday.

Afam*

I just want to say to everyone that we got this. The bruins will win game 2 and ultimately win this series. Clode has game tape from last nights game and will make proper adjustments to help us win. I'm definitely not panicking at all. Go Bruins

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
The Krug mistake is highlighted only because it led to a goal. This team is famous for ill-advised cross-ice passes either out of their own end, or in the offensive zone. These passes happen all the time, but this one led to a goal. That's it. The third goal against was rubbish luck. The game was ours, and we had multiple chances to bury it in OT(s), but didn't. It was going to come down to another trash goal like tossing it at the net and something going in.

Don't sit Krug. Kid is too important to this team right now. Those mistakes happen every game.

Seguin looked hungry last night. I liked to see. Other third liners are making my head hurt. Please produce something. Please.

Blackhawks are 100% beatable. Our defense is awesome and our power play is producing opportunity.

Really tough loss because of the duration of play, and the fact that the game was in hand, so to speak... but this team is the most mentally tough team I've ever seen. They will be back in a big way on Saturday.

Not sure I would go quite that far, but I think your larger point is fair. Chicago was sitting on that pass at times, and the Bruins never really adjusted to it. There was one point early in the game where Chara made the same pass, and though it led to a nice breakout, one of the Hawk's players was about 3 inches from jumping it and walking in alone (think it might have been Hossa but not sure). No one is bringing that play up because it ultimately didn't cost the Bruins a goal, but that pass was an issue on more than one occasion last night, and Krug wasn't the only offender.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So at least you won't be posting in the GDTs anymore this year.

Silver linings....

Series isn't over people.

No **** ! The series can not be over after one game.

Jeesh...We were down 2 vs the Nucks and won.

Have some faith...there is hope.

If you are a quitter please leave the rest of us to post .

Last edited:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
So who do you replace him with?

If Krug were to have a poor game 2, I consider looking at our options. To me, Redden and Bart aren't out of the question. Again Krug having a poor game 2 is a big if, odds are we'll be fine and win game 2.

^
Just want to make myself clear before people start accusing me of blaming everything on Krug. :laugh:

I'm not trying to scapegoat him here, he's been amazing.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I thought Krug played his worst hockey in the third OT.

And this isn't second-guessing, i was saying this things while they happened.

I wouldn't bench Krug next game, but I would have last night in that third OT. His last shift before the winning goal was so bad I thought Claude might have him deported. Then, there he was.

I would have preferred any of the other 5, as exhausted as they were, over him at that point. Just a disaster of a game.

Then why on earth would you not put Redden or Bartowski in next game? Any reason to expect anything different from him next game?

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I think that you have to put Soderberg and Redden in next game for some fresh legs. Hopefully Horton can go.

It's going to be a long day ahead work tomorrow since I have to get up in 5 hours. :help:

I saw 2:30 am and woke up at 4:30. I am at work and not as tired as I thought I would be...yet.

One good thing is it wasn't at the Garden where the drive home would have sucked.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
No **** ! The series can not be over after one game.

Jeesh...We were down 2 vs the Nucks and won.

Have some faith...there is hope.

If you are a quitter please leave the rest of us to post and leave.

Agreed, while it certainly would have been a huge boost to win last night, if the Hawks think they are going to win the series on lucky bounces off of our skates and double deflections, they are dreaming. 9 times out of 10, with the effort they gave last night, they win. Just do it again and put the Hawks on the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce