GDT: OMG!: 6/12 | SCF Game 1 | Boston Bruins @ Chicago Blackhawks part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
imho must win is game 3 at home. this next one I'll take it or leave it, and be happy to get the split. But you gotta set the tone in Boston. If everyone holds serve and wins at home, and the B's go into Chicago for game 7, we're winning the cup.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
after the Bruins made it 3-1, and The Hawks immediately answered I felt CJ should have called his timeout...settle things down...and get the team refocused on the last 10 minutes...in fact I was telling my wife maybe at 3-1 take it at the first whistle....we completely left our game at that point and pushed for a 4th goal and we got sloppy

after we made it 3-1, i thought we had it in the bag.
tuukka was sharp, the hawks big guys were doing nothing.

it was a bad turnover by a rookie. might cost us the series. who knows.
I think the Bruins lost all momentum they had after that 2nd goal, and a timeout wouldve done nothing. the hawks probably wouldve eventually tied it even if they didnt get that lucky bounce off the skate.

we also had 2 power plays to win it in OT, and plenty of quality chances. We just didnt finish them. disappointing.
I just hope the Hawks play like that Saturday and we should come out with a split.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I can't really get on Claude too much for shortening the bench, even with Horton out. He has been doing just that late in games and in OT, and he has been getting the results. Heck, I think he got the results last night: the Bs were the better of the two teams in OT, granted they didn't score. I am also not sure who they would dress that would play more in those situations. I wouldn't mind seeing Thorny sit in favor of more skill, but I still don't think a guy like Soderberg, for example, would be logging a ton of minutes in OT either. I still think Claude shortens the bench, with or without Thorny, and goes with his big guns, and I don't have a problem with that.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Hey do I have this right?

2011: Horton hurt in playoffs
2012: Horton hurt and missed all playoffs
2013: Horton hurt in playoffs

Tough to give him 6m for 4 years imho. GM has a tough decision.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013

I like Horton's game but his injury history scares me too

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I wonder if CJ takes Krug out of the lineup and goes with Redden/Bart. He had a rough one last night.

Yeah, that was a tough game for Krug. Looked a bit shell shocked in his own zone. But he was still great in the O zone. Thought he had the winner at one point, but it wasn't his night. Wouldn't be surprised if CJ takes him out, but I'd hate to lose him on the pp. Hopefully it was just Stanley cup final jitters, and he'll be back to normal next game.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
after we made it 3-1, i thought we had it in the bag.
tuukka was sharp, the hawks big guys were doing nothing.

it was a bad turnover by a rookie. might cost us the series. who knows.
I think the Bruins lost all momentum they had after that 2nd goal, and a timeout wouldve done nothing. the hawks probably wouldve eventually tied it even if they didnt get that lucky bounce off the skate.

we also had 2 power plays to win it in OT, and plenty of quality chances. We just didnt finish them. disappointing.
I just hope the Hawks play like that Saturday and we should come out with a split.

Things looked good when they went up 3-1 but overall I thought they were very lucky to have a lead at all.The Bruins just looked out of sorts last night.The Bruins will be a different team the rest of the way.Bruins in 6.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I like Horton's game but his injury history scares me too

Ya it's not just those 3 years either. Those 3 are preceded by 3 where he's playing 65ish games in the regular season due to injury too. I'm starting to get a bit more comfortable with his departure. When you need him most, he's just unlucky and hurt.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
First time he's actually looked nervous for real. I guess it's a bigger stage than we can ever imagine. Because he was crazy calm in the ECF.

Yeah, Shaw crept into his head a bit.

He was shaky with the puck, made some bieksa-esque casual passes in non-casual situations. He looked okay in their end, but I was worried about him in our end/NZ for the first time this postseason. I hope he bounces back.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Yeah, that was a tough game for Krug. Looked a bit shell shocked in his own zone. But he was still great in the O zone. Thought he had the winner at one point, but it wasn't his night. Wouldn't be surprised if CJ takes him out, but I'd hate to lose him on the pp. Hopefully it was just Stanley cup final jitters, and he'll be back to normal next game.

I don't think the Bruins will be getting enough PP's to justify leaving him in there. Especially when the other unit scored last night. I wouldn't really have too much of a problem either way with Krug (take him out or leave him in) but I think he'll be sitting.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Yeah, Shaw crept into his head a bit.

He was shaky with the puck, made some bieksa-esque casual passes in non-casual situations. He looked okay in their end, but I was worried about him in our end/NZ for the first time this postseason. I hope he bounces back.

the double team they employ on the first man out is so effective. Those 2 guys are on you in a second. It's interesting how much coach does it. We never use that tactic, it's always just 1 guy for us and 4 back.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital

Except I draw a distinction between 2011/12 and this year. The concussion was not his fault, and at this point he looks like he is fully back from it. He hasn't had concussion issues this year. We still don't know his complete status going forward in this series, and according to some reports, he has been gutting his way through this injury for a while now and still producing. Also, he has made it far enough to appear in the finals both in 2011 and 2013. I wasn't really on the sign Horty bandwagon to start the year; I really wanted to see how it played out. If you accept what he is in the regular season, whatever you end up paying him might well be worth what he brings you during playoff time. There is a limit, and I don't know if 4 x 6 is a deal the Bruins will do, but I wouldn't NOT sign him because of time missed in the playoffs.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Moves I hated in OT:

1. Not playing Thornton more, especially in the third OT, but in a specific way that I will adress in point 2.

2. When playing Thornton, playing him with ****ing Chris Kelly and Kaspars Daugavins.

You could trust Shawn to take a few more shifts there, but let him skate with better players. Don't put him out there with Kelly ("abysmal" last night isn't strong enough to describe his play) and Kaspars Daugavins (who should have played less than Thornton, a guy that is completely useless).

I think you can trust Shawn to play a little more, especially when everyone else was moving in cement, but let him grab a shift with Bergeron or Krejci at some point.

The Horton injury was killing us as the game went on longer since we were down a body, so you have to try and so something to keep some energy going.

3. Not benching Krug, especially by the middle of the second OT when it was clear he was just awful. I mean, Krug had the one super killer mistake everyone is focusing on, but he was also awful all night. And I was screaming during the third OT on this board that he needed to be benched.

Every other defenseman we had last night, even exhausted, was a better choice.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
but overdue if were being realistic, kid has played out of this world for a rookie, to have a game like that is or should hardly be surprising

Yeah let's hope he got the stinker out of the way. He has been fantastic for us. If he is shaky in game 2 and we lose, I would give Redden a strong look if I were Clode.

I thought he was a flash in the pan vs. NYR, but then he showed us in the Pit series that he could be counted on even if he wasn't scoring a ppg. Krug just needs to be a bit more assertive with the puck and he'll be fine.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Yeah let's hope he got the stinker out of the way. He has been fantastic for us. If he is shaky in game 2 and we lose, I would give Redden a strong look if I were Clode.

I thought he was a flash in the pan vs. NYR, but then he showed us in the Pit series that he could be counted on even if he wasn't scoring a ppg. Krug just needs to be a bit more assertive with the puck and he'll be fine.

I think his size and experience is too evident at this point and being the finals you pat him on the back and sit him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Moves I hated in OT:

1. Not playing Thornton more, especially in the third OT, but in a specific way that I will adress in point 2.

2. When playing Thornton, playing him with ****ing Chris Kelly and Kaspars Daugavins.

You could trust Shawn to take a few more shifts there, but let him skate with better players. Don't put him out there with Kelly ("abysmal" last night isn't strong enough to describe his play) and Kaspars Daugavins (who should have played less than Thornton, a guy that is completely useless).

I think you can trust Shawn to play a little more, especially when everyone else was moving in cement, but let him grab a shift with Bergeron or Krejci at some point.

The Horton injury was killing us as the game went on longer since we were down a body, so you have to try and so something to keep some energy going.

3. Not benching Krug, especially by the middle of the second OT when it was clear he was just awful. I mean, Krug had the one super killer mistake everyone is focusing on, but he was also awful all night. And I was screaming during the third OT on this board that he needed to be benched.

Totally agree and mentioned much the same in an earlier post I had, as for Krug, tough one, your right, guy had one heck of an awful game, and an overdue one for that matter considering just how well he`s played but I have to think, if it weren`t an OT game, legs burning, guys gassed, he wouldn`t have played but I also "think" and this is just that, a thought, maybe Julien hoped, being one of the more rested guys, with that mobility, maybe he could have jumped up ice with the puck and popped one?

Who knows, like every coach, a loss can and will be questioned, but I totally agree with the Thorty comments, rarely do I have any issues with him in tight situations, although, he overplayed his man on, I believe the tying goal by Oduya, getting in way too deep but he`s also a guy that rarely makes the same mistake twice

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Moves I hated in OT:

I thought the Dogman did bring some energy in his limited minutes. He got a couple good looks, too.

As for Krug I was wondering if the other D were extra tired because of Krug's benching in the third, and a lot of the first O.T. Seemed like McQuaid saw less ice then, too.

All that said, I'm absolutely done second-guessing Claude.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I'm fine with not benching Krug in multiple OT's. Seidenberg, Chara and Ference are the 3 most senior players after Jagr. Dudes need some rest in a game like that.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Moves I hated in OT:

But, Clode did bench Krug for a long stretch. He obviously screwed up that pass, but he is a rookie playing in his first Cup game so I'll give him a pass; he's been superb for us up until last night. I believe he'll bounce back. And, he wasn't too bad on our penultimate powerplay; had good skating legs. Glad he wasn't yanked in the 3rd OT; can't really blame that goal on him at all; and with aging Chara/Seids/Ference sucking major wind out there, I don't know how you sit a youngster with much fresher legs in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad