Olympics: Olympic Pre-Qualification Round 3 (6-9 February 2020)

Which three teams will advance to the final qualification round?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
The only clear winner of this round is Kazakhstan, unfortunately. Pretty sad to rely on a bunch of mercenaries taking up the majority of a national team to actually gain some kind of achievements.

I hope they continue their current development of young players so they can stop with this **** show (although I doubt that they would actually stop naturalising players even with decent respectable home-grown players)
I don't think they're developing young players that well though. Their youngsters are struggling to crack the men's team. On their own team they struggle to be competitive. They're not super old but they're nearing that stage where they're not that young either.

Reactions: Exarz

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Blacker and Valk are not on the roster for Kaz. So they "just" have Karlsson, Dawes, Boyd and Dietz as imports.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Blacker and Valk are not on the roster for Kaz. So they "just" have Karlsson, Dawes, Boyd and Dietz as imports.
I noticed that too (the fact they are missing two NA players), but they do have only 18 skaters registered, apparently something has gone wrong at the last moment for them and they are unable to register them currently.

Secondly, no - they don't have only those 4 listed names as the imports. Just because some names doesn't stick out that much doesn't mean they are not imports, there are 7 additional Russians on this roster too. This is a joke team.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Oh yes, you're right. I didn't check the numbers. Maybe they'll register them later. Or like you said, something went wrong.

The main difference between those NA imports and the russian imports is, the NA-imports are good . ;)

Meanwhile the Dutch get crushed by Poland, shots 20-3 after 20 minutes, score 3-0.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This is a joke team.
Pretty much the regular... Blacker and Valk situation reminds me of similar instance in 2017 (?) when Romania was unable to register its Ukrainian imports and had to start the tournament with 15 skaters.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Pretty much the regular... Blacker and Valk situation reminds me of similar instance in 2017 (?) when Romania was unable to register its Ukrainian imports and had to start the tournament with 15 skaters.
Again their own incompetence. Both of them have not completed two full seasons playing for a team in Kazakhstan so whoever again overlooked that should be fired. They will be good to go in spring though...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Again their own incompetence. Both of them have not completed two full seasons playing for a team in Kazakhstan so whoever again overlooked that should be fired. They will be good to go in spring though...
It's kinda funny, one would think one email to IIHF should be enough to clear that up and yet, looks like nobody bothered to send it. The tournament being in Kazakhstan they can probably bring in new guys in a couple of hours though. Also, Dawes is playing, I thought after moving to Avto he quit Kazakh NT for good.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia

They are eligible to play. I see now that they're added to the roster...

IIHF - Eligibility

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Just read on Kazakh site that latest IIHF requirement is 16 months instead of two seasons, so yeah, they are eligible. First game kinda suggests I was right predicting double digit scores along the way.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Does anyone know for sure how the seeding works for the final Qualification round?

I guess it should be based on IIHF rankings of the 3 teams winning their respective groups. The top seed goes to Norway, the middle one to Latvia and the lowest-ranked seed to Slovakia, right?

And what is the cutoff time for the IIHF rankings? Is it 2019 or 2020 (before the final Q round?)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Does anyone know for sure how the seeding works for the final Qualification round?

I guess it should be based on IIHF rankings of the 3 teams winning their respective groups. The top seed goes to Norway, the middle one to Latvia and the lowest-ranked seed to Slovakia, right?

And what is the cutoff time for the IIHF rankings? Is it 2019 or 2020 (before the final Q round?)
It's 2019 IIHF ranking. All the info here:

IIHF - Olympic

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Half-empty arena for NT game... I have no idea how does Kazakhstan have so much trouble attracting people to the stands.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Do you have a link to the stream? They don't link it on the IIHF-site and it's also not on the same youtube-channel like the first game.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
It doesn't tell anything about the final qualification round.
Final Olympic Qualification (27-30 August 2020)
Group D: Slovakia, Belarus, Austria, Qualifier 6. In Slovakia (city TBA).
Group E: Latvia, France, Italy, Qualifier 5. In Riga, Latvia.
Group F: Norway, Denmark, Korea, Qualifier 4. In Norway (city TBA).

And the teams you get depend on their seeding, yes. Otherwise, it would just be written "winner of group x" if it was pre-determined.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Final Olympic Qualification (27-30 August 2020)
Group D: Slovakia, Belarus, Austria, Qualifier 6. In Slovakia (city TBA).
Group E: Latvia, France, Italy, Qualifier 5. In Riga, Latvia.
Group F: Norway, Denmark, Korea, Qualifier 4. In Norway (city TBA).

And the teams you get depend on their seeding, yes. Otherwise, it would just be written "winner of group x" if it was pre-determined.
The seeding could be based on the number of points gained in each respective group.

There is more than 1 way this can potentially be worked out and it shouldn't be so ambiguous at this point.

Reactions: Michal

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Guess this started today. Big win for the host Kazaks in Group H. They look like they probably end up as the class of that group.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah nah, actually, I am gonna look away. I somewhat hoped we can keep Slovenia at 6-7 goals, it doesn't look like it's going to be the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00