Confirmed with Link: Olli Maatta for Kahun and a 5th

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Maatta is a #4/5 tweener who has great hockey sense but his skating is not good at all. He can absolutely help Chicago. However, from what I’m reading about Kahun I can’t dislike this from Pittsburgh’s perspective.

Reactions: domaug

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I said earlier this week you basically choose between Kahun and Sikura in the bottom-six. Based on Colliton’s comments last week, it seemed pretty clear that he’s not a fan of having too many guys that lack grit.

Kahun had some solid skill, but definitely lacked the jam and willingness of a guy like Caggiula.

I hope Kahun does well in Pittsburgh though.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
If we can get the Maata from 2-3 years ago, this will be a good deal. Not a huge fan of the deal at the moment.

To be fair to Maatta our sometimes(often times in the last 2 years) dumb organization scratched him for Jack Johnson. Not a Maatta fan but he is better than Jack Johnson. For what little that is worth.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I said earlier this week you basically choose between Kahun and Sikura in the bottom-six. Based on Colliton’s comments last week, it seemed pretty clear that he’s not a fan of having too many guys that lack grit.

Kahun had some solid skill, but definitely lacked the jam and willingness of a guy like Caggiula.

I hope Kahun does well in Pittsburgh though.

There are a lot of gritty guys in free agency. Looks like Stan is going to do some shopping.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
We need more players like Kahun, not less.

But our defense is so bad so I can see why you make this deal in hopes Maatta finds his game.

Still not saying I love it, but I can see the logic.

I think we need more players like Caggiula.

Caggiula’s P/60 was nearly identical to Kahun’s but Caggiula obviously brought a lot more grind with that production.

I could still see Sikura and maybe Perlini on the move as I think Colliton wants his complimentary forwards more in the Caggiula mold.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
It’s a 5th round pick and basically irrelevant.

As far Kahun vs Maatta.... how many people here have watched him they closely the last two years?

4 million cap hit. This trade was not on the list of priorities. This is a JC move.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I really hate Maata as a player. He is slow slow slow.

He is only 24? Maybe he's a Strome-ish change of scenery type? A stay at home to pair with Gus? I'm struggling to find a positive here.

His ceiling after his thyroid cancer/hip injury is capped at a 30 point guy who can’t skate but is a good penalty killer and can pass the puck up moderately well.

Reactions: JLarucci23

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
wow I was posting in the other thread and didn't realize that this trade was actually legit....I am not pleased about acquiring Maatta, he was supposed to be a real gamer and started out his career in a high not with the Pens but he has not been good for awhile.

Stan is going to run out of luck with signing FA euros IMO, sign them, they play for a short time and they get dealt. Not a good precedent.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
LOL WOW, the onslaught continues boys and girls

Not really. Kahun’s P/60 was about the same as Caggiula’s and Perlini’s, and those two guys have a grit/grit potential element that Kahun lacks.

Based on Colliton’s comments last week, Kahun and Sikura were the first two guys that came to my mind who don’t fit what Colliton wants in complimentary forwards.

Reactions: SMU51

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Watch, now the consensus is that the trade sucks but slowly the HF hawks fans are gonna convince themselves this is a good deal lol
if he plays like he did before his rookie season and the cancer and the injuries, this is a steal for the Hawks.

however his lack of speed is most likely not due to those numerous issues. he probably is what he is at this point even though he isn't in his late 20s yet.

we will see how he looks in Chicago's system

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Not really. Kahun’s P/60 was about the same as Caggiula’s and Perlini’s, and those two guys have a grit/grit potential element that Kahun lacks.

Based on Colliton’s comments last week, Kahun and Sikura were the first two guys that came to my mind who don’t fit what Colliton wants in complimentary forwards.

Dude go look at the Pens board, they are saying the pylon has left the building, just two hours ago no one here would have wanted to trade Cajun for a bottom pairing slow D in Maata, but like I said the campaign to convince the HF Hawks masses that Stan has this right has begun... When will this guy just leave already? This team is in shambles...

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
This is idiotic, Maata is trash and so slow. I’m not so mad about losing Kahun I just want Maata no where near our lineup. If Seabrook isn’t slow enough we bring this slug. Christ!

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Dude go look at the Pens board, they are saying the pylon has left the building, just two hours ago no one here would have wanted to trade Cajun for a bottom pairing slow D in Maata, but like I said the campaign to convince the HF Hawks masses that Stan has this right has begun... When will this guy just leave already? This team is in shambles...

To be clear, I don’t give a flying f*** about Stan Bowman. For all I care, he could already be out on the street and I wouldn’t feel any different.

I’m not campaigning for his ass.

I want this trade to work out positively because I WANT THE HAWKS TO WIN.

If he rebounds, he helps them win. That’s what I’m campaigning for. Not to just drown myself in misery and whine like a child about the GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad