Olli Määttä

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The one aspect missing from Despres' physical game is his willingness to step up for a big hit. He's more than capable. Just needs a steady partner and confidence.

He's a beast along the boards now, and more than fine at clearing the net front.

Firstly, that type of play, and making those types of reads will come with time. Stepping up on guys like that is an art form, and very few Dmen can do that consistently without going way out of position a lot of the time. Frankly, I am very happy, as Despres is developing if that isn't a part of his game if he's doing everything else right. Having good gap and a good stick, playing the body instead of playing the puck, being HARD on the wall as he has been, and being tough in the corners and in front of the net, those things are all much more important. He can be intimidating enough that way, and if he's playing with a guy like Bortuzzo who already is looking for those open ice hits, it's better if his partner isn't.

Also, what some people don't realize or remember: Despres' hallmark as a prospect and younger player was never about his physicality. His nature was never that of an Orpik, Stevens, Kronwall or Trouba. Despres was a guy who was just incredibly gifted physically, and has a very intriguing package of size, speed & skills. In junior, he often dominated physically because he was a man amongst boys and just SO much bigger than everyone else. A little bump is all he would need to separate guys from the puck.

But the nastiness you're seeing in Despres' game right now is not something that has been there all along. It's very similar with Bortuzzo when he was younger. This type of toughness and physicality are attributes that these guys are learning and are being cultivated by them and the coaches in WBS and in Pittsburgh. Even when Despres played at the WJCs, he was asked to play a physical & shut-down style, and it was a new type of role for him (which is why he didn't look particularly good or have a strong tournament).

Also, these young guys like Bortuzzo and Despres, who do not have the skills of guys like Letang/Karlsson/etc., or the insane poise of guys like Maatta or Ekman-Larsson, at some point they realize that if they're going to really make it in the NHL as impact players, they're going to have to adjust their game and use their god-given strengths. And it helps when you have a really strong group of prospects who these guys are competing with, helping them realize that they have to play a certain way if they're going to be the ones who make it to that top-6 ahead of the other guys.

So while it may seem like there's a thing or two lacking, I can tell you: the amount of physicality that Despres has added to his game since junior, and the way that he has refined/changes his style of play, is actually very substantial.

ShatteredGlass

∞ Posts Deleted :)
Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
It's great to see how Maatta is doing at only 19. I knew he was a good 2-way prospect, but had no idea he'd be having this kind of offensive production, and especially in his rookie season.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think most have undershot his offensive ability and instincts. From what I've seen, nothing suggests he can't be in the 50 point range.

I think a big thing for him going forward is seeing how much bulk he can add without being weighed down. I'd also like to see him be a little more confident in the physicality department. Not necessarily with the thunderous opened ice hits, but the hits along the boards...making guys pay for touching the puck.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I wish he would get some 1st unit PP time. He really has a Gonchar-like knack for getting pucks on net.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
How does he looks so far in playoff?
Average. I expected a bit more, but it´s OK after such a physically difficult season for a 19-year old kid. He had some OK games and some "not OK" games. He´s still learning but he´s not a (big) problem even when learning.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
He looks like a rookie in the NHL playoffs after a long grinding season. He is figuring it out. I never think he's putrid but I don't think he's amazing either. I like it.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah I'd say he's playing well enough to earn himself valuable playoff experience at a young age. Kid's likely to be a part of our defense for a long time. Keep playing him.

penguins2946*

I really haven't noticed Maatta much in the playoffs, which is a good thing. He's not playing good or bad enough to be noticed. He's not hurting our team right now, so I'm fine with him. This should be expected though, the Olympics and 80 regular season games as a rookie? Ouch. For comparison, last year he had played 89 games total over a much larger time frame. He's at 95 already in a much tougher league.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
How does everybody think Olli will do coming back this season?

I think we'll see a dip in his offensive game due to the surgery but he doesn't play an offensive style that would really be slowed down. I also think Despres should be getting hefty opportunity this year and that would ease some of the pressure off Olli, and he'd be in better shape for the playoffs. I wonder if he's improved his skating this summer, since that seems to be his only real flaw.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i am expecting a sophomore slump from maata.

for the early part of the season, he was playing with a poise that he didnt consistently have in juniors. he then tailed off and made some of the mistakes that plagued him in juniors. this injury wont help either.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
How does everybody think Olli will do coming back this season?

I think we'll see a dip in his offensive game due to the surgery but he doesn't play an offensive style that would really be slowed down. I also think Despres should be getting hefty opportunity this year and that would ease some of the pressure off Olli, and he'd be in better shape for the playoffs. I wonder if he's improved his skating this summer, since that seems to be his only real flaw.
If he misses training camp, it's going to hurt. It always does. Especially when we're talking about a 2nd year player who struggled towards the end of last year. Combine that with a new coach and a new system, and I think it's going to be ugly. Wouldn't be surprised to see him spend some time in Wilkes-Barre (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he'll be eligible this year). I do, however, expect he'll be able to bounce back in time to be an impact player towards the latter half of the season.

Frank Gallagher

Guess who's back.
Apr 14, 2009
Pennsylvania
i am expecting a sophomore slump from maata.

for the early part of the season, he was playing with a poise that he didnt consistently have in juniors. he then tailed off and made some of the mistakes that plagued him in juniors. this injury wont help either.

Always the optimist, aren't you?

I think we'll see more of the good and less of the bad. Especially with a competent coach.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
If he misses training camp, it's going to hurt.

I saw him at Whole Foods in Shadyside yesterday. Looked fine to me. No shoulder sling or anything like that. Grabbed some Turkey and cole slaw :)

RTVPEK.jpg

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Is he still listed at a little over 200lbs? Seems like a small 200 from that pic

I'm 6'3" and he was every bit as tall as I was. He's not a small guy. Definitely big legs. Looked like he was 200+ pounds to me. Looked to me like he could still fill out with another 20 or so pounds too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad