Olli Määttä

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Depends on who you ask. I think most of us are pretty happy with him though, and see that he's truly got a good shot at being a reliable Top 4 D in this league with maybe the upside of a #2 guy if everything goes his way.

Personally, I expect the NHL grind might take a toll on him as the next few weeks wear on, and that he'll end up back in London for the second half of the year (and then make the team next year and be with the team the whole year from that point). But that doesn't bother me / I won't read anything into it the way some might.

But overall, yes. He's been a pleasant surprise (at his age). I don't think anyone expected to see him playing here this year, if you'd asked mid-summer.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
My keyboard is sans umlauts. I feel shame.

denis-lemieux-slap-shot(2).jpg

Anderson55

Jun 18, 2010
I think with the injury to Scuderi, Maata stays up all year. And with Martin banged up its going to give him a chance for more minutes.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
He's been fine. Obviously his first ten games or so were much better than what we've seen since, but he was on an unrealistic tear for a 19-year old anyway. I'm not so sure anymore that he's so good that he's made Despres completely expendable, but he's clearly got a solid NHL future ahead of him. He'll continue to improve.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
He's fine, but as expected not overwhelming. I think it was a waste to keep him up this year but who knows... bylsma and shero know best.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Depends on who you ask. I think most of us are pretty happy with him though, and see that he's truly got a good shot at being a reliable Top 4 D in this league with maybe the upside of a #2 guy if everything goes his way.

Personally, I expect the NHL grind might take a toll on him as the next few weeks wear on, and that he'll end up back in London for the second half of the year (and then make the team next year and be with the team the whole year from that point). But that doesn't bother me / I won't read anything into it the way some might.

But overall, yes. He's been a pleasant surprise (at his age). I don't think anyone expected to see him playing here this year, if you'd asked mid-summer.

You genuinely think they will send him back after 40 games? I don't believe that at all. Personally, I'm still very pleased with him. He's been very steady for a rookie. He will be a top pairing dman in the future.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm a bit confused. If the last 9 were the first 9, I'm not sure they would have kept him. But at the same time, his play dropping off corresponds WITH THE ENTIRE TEAM going into a bit of a slump. It's hard to explain how it happens to the entire roster (except Fleury) at the same time.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm a bit confused. If the last 9 were the first 9, I'm not sure they would have kept him. But at the same time, his play dropping off corresponds WITH THE ENTIRE TEAM going into a bit of a slump. It's hard to explain how it happens to the entire roster (except Fleury) at the same time.

It also corresponds, for the most part, with playing better teams. I am pleased with his play even in the last few games. I expect him to make mistakes, to look like a rookie every now and then. He is playing like an NHL dman and is making a positive difference more often than not. For a 19 year old, that's enough for me. He will be a better player by the time the playoffs roll around.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He was lights out in his first 10. Since then he's not been as good, but, as others have said, the entire team went into a slump since then, and he's not standing out as having fallen off more than anyone else. Or even as much as most guys, particularly the entire forward core.

penguins2946*

Maatta is playing on the top pair with Letang now. Finally.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He's been great. A few bumps in the road lately, but no worse than any of our other defensemen.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Who is Olli Maatta? :sarcasm:

Has he been perfect? No. Has he been better than expected? Absolutely. He's arrived in the NHL a lot faster than anyone expected him to, and if that's any indication of his trajectory, then we're in for one hell of a player. I would say that Roman Jossi is a really good comparable.

I think what's been most impressive about Maatta though is his consistency and ability to bounce back after any mistakes or a tough shift. You can tell he's a little bit more challenged when it's an extremely intense game (like the other night in St. Louis), but he still acquits himself very well and shows that he can play, and learn, at this level.

The thing that impressed me most last year (and has me most excited going forward) is how much Olli improved from the beginning of last season in London to the end. By the end of last season, there really wasn't much separating Olli from Harrington on the defensive side of the puck: he become an ELITE shot blocker, knew when to go down with his body/legs/stick on the ice/, and didn't make any of the occasional mistakes we sometimes used to see from him or Despres. I've stated, because of that, that Olli Maatta had improved more than ANY prospect I have ever seen within the course of one season. Then, over the summer, he made HUGE strides in his speed where you would now call him a great and powerful skater (he was also pretty good & above average, but never like he is now). I think this bodes extremely well for him going forward.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
You genuinely think they will send him back after 40 games? I don't believe that at all. Personally, I'm still very pleased with him. He's been very steady for a rookie. He will be a top pairing dman in the future.

It's solid asset management, which Shero has always been very good at. Sending Maata back before 40 games buys another year of RFA, which is a significantly cheaper contract. It's not like Dumoulin or Despres can't be called up to do a very similar job to Maata on the 3rd pairing if Maata gets sent back.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It's solid asset management, which Shero has always been very good at. Sending Maata back before 40 games buys another year of RFA, which is a significantly cheaper contract. It's not like Dumoulin or Despres can't be called up to do a very similar job to Maata on the 3rd pairing if Maata gets sent back.

Then why keep him up after 9 games? That's solid asset management too. If Despres and Dumoulin could do a similar job on the 3rd pairing, then why not back then? For the record, I do think Despres should be on this team but find your logic faulty.

penguins2946*

For practice. I wouldn't expect to see that full time in a game.

Why would they play them in practice together if they didn't intend on them playing together? All of Bortuzzo, Maatta, Letang and Niskanen were at practice. If they wouldn't be playing together, the pairs would be the same that they were.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Why would they play them in practice together if they didn't intend on them playing together? All of Bortuzzo, Maatta, Letang and Niskanen were at practice. If they wouldn't be playing together, the pairs would be the same that they were.

you're just begging to have the pic posted...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Exactly. Also, I don't doubt that Maatta and Letang may start the game together, but I really doubt Maatta playing the majority of the game next to Letang. I'd love to be wrong though.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Exactly. Also, I don't doubt that Maatta and Letang may start the game together, but I really doubt Maatta playing the majority of the game next to Letang. I'd love to be wrong though.

Its a proven fact that young defensemen can't handle around 20 minutes a game. If they play that much you instantly lose.

penguins2946*

It seems like anytime I or anyone else tries to think logically, that picture gets posted. It's entirely true, it's almost like Bylsma thinks of logical ideas and does the exact opposite.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London

Appreciate your input, thanks!! I am so happy he is where he is, simply because he did earn his roster spot and is a quality guy and I do want him to suceed in the NHL, but in order to get to that "impact defensemen" calibre, I think he needs to come back to London. He will be that top 4 defensemen for the Penguins soon enough, but not right now....However, the Knights are decimated without him and Nikita Zadorov, and we could be almost be guaranteed a Memorial Cup if Maatta and Zadorov return. I know that doesn't matter to you Pens fans, but if you want him to be that top calibre defensemen of the future, I would send him back, where he will get more responsibility in every situation and Dale Hunter will have him ready for the Penguins next year.....Again, not "completely" speaking as a Knights fan, but Dale Hunter has a knack for developing quality defensemen, so he'll be ready next year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad