Olli Määttä is Ready (Orpik Believes, Ignore Lying Burg Media Swine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
It's not just you, coffee-lover. I'm right with you. There's room here for both, but management surely thinks otherwise.

They didn't f anything up. They outplayed him. Hell, they've outplayed others who are ahead of them on the depth chart, too.

The Maatta-Bortuzzo pairing this season is one of the VERY FEW instances where players have actually been rewarded for their performance under Dan Bylsma's watch. And Simon Despres didn't deserve to play ahead of them. Accountability. Again, a RARE instance of this under Bylsma.

Don't disagree.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Contrary to popular belief, we're not nearly good enough to simply decide to send a player back to junior hockey when he's clearly made a lasting impression as a regular defenseman.

If Maatta is sent back down, I will begin to question whether the Penguins actually WANT to win the Stanley Cup again. Maybe they're just satisfied with the sellouts at the CEC.

Maatta has looked pretty good for the most part. His last two games haven't been as good as his first seven, but he still hasn't looked out of place. He's made some nice plays. (He's also made some mistakes)

But I honestly don't think that he's been so good that if we send him down that "OMG we don't even want to win the Cup!!!"

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's not just you, coffee-lover. I'm right with you. There's room here for both, but management surely thinks otherwise.

The worst part: every time Niskanen I just get irrationally angry at him. Like last night. I could only hate him. He was bad on the power play. I want him to get eaten by Despres.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Maatta has looked pretty good for the most part. His last two games haven't been as good as his first seven, but he still hasn't looked out of place. He's made some nice plays. (He's also made some mistakes)

But I honestly don't think that he's been so good that if we send him down that "OMG we don't even want to win the Cup!!!"
Maatta has struggled a bit in the past two games, but Vancouver and Colorado's forwards are far superior to anything he had faced in the first 7 games. It also seems like they're putting him in some more important situations. I have no doubt about his talent and smarts, i just hope he doesn't get worn out 55 games in. The NHL grind for a 19 year old dman must be brutal. I don't blame Shero either way here, either decision can be rationalized.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Maatta has struggled a bit in the past two games, but Vancouver and Colorado's forwards are far superior to anything he had faced in the first 7 games. It also seems like they're putting him in some more important situations. I have no doubt about his talent and smarts, i just hope he doesn't get worn out 55 games in. The NHL grind for a 19 year old dman must be brutal. I don't blame Shero either way here, either decision can be rationalized.

This is how it started with Despres. Look good, and then Washington's speed and forecheck. Then the sitting started. Then he was never the same.

One thing I'd like to point out as well: Maatta is playing in a more mistake-free-friendly system. Yes, Despres made mistakes, but we have no clue how he'd look in THIS system with THIS Bortuzzo.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
This is how it started with Despres. Look good, and then Washington's speed and forecheck. Then the sitting started. Then he was never the same.

One thing I'd like to point out as well: Maatta is playing in a more mistake-free-friendly system. Yes, Despres made mistakes, but we have no clue how he'd look in THIS system with THIS Bortuzzo.
If that ruined Despres' confidence he would've never lasted in the NHL anyway. I think that's just excusing his underwhelming performance. Maatta's 19, i don't see the harm in waiting until he's 20 for him to join the pens full time. If he's as good as we think, he'll be raring to go next year. Maatta's been awesome considering he's 19, but Niskanen can more than replace his minutes at this point.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If that ruined Despres' confidence he would've never lasted in the NHL anyway. I think that's just excusing his underwhelming performance. Maatta's 19, i don't see the harm in waiting until he's 20 for him to join the pens full time. If he's as good as we think, he'll be raring to go next year. Maatta's been awesome considering he's 19, but Niskanen can more than replace his minutes at this point.

he wasn't underwhelming. Good lord.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If one of Despres and Maatta are not on this roster in the spring, it'll be a mistake.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I changed my mind, I want him sent down. I can't take anymore bad Maatta puns.

Nothing really Maattas...
Anyone can see...

Tooooooooooooooo

SHOOTANDSCORE

MAATTA, just killed Despres
Put a bun against his head
gulped it down
and now he's dead.

MAATTA, the season's JUST BEGUN
And now you've gone and played it all away.

MAATTA, oooohooohhhh
I don't wanna lie
I'd rather see you there
than Niskanen

Skate on, skate on
As if nothing really Maattas

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
What is this whole "burning a year" thing? It's not burning a year of an ELC if he's, you know, playing in the NHL. If he's good enough to play and help the team this year, how are they wasting a year of his contract? None of this makes any rational sense.

Couldn't agree more. If you send your fifth-best defenseman back to juniors, THAT'S "burning a year." Keeping him and playing him is not.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
If kid can play good level in NHL.. what do you think will evolve your player better, random junior league or NHL? (Free tip: Its like thinking if hardcore training at your limits or 1minute walk in a park smoking cigarette will evolve your body better).

He is at that age where he can evolve ALOT in two years.. being superstar in kids league ain't good idea. He's solid bottom 2-4 man already but if he faces tough competition he can become better and learn..

Last edited:

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Contrary to popular belief, we're not nearly good enough to simply decide to send a player back to junior hockey when he's clearly made a lasting impression as a regular defenseman.

If Maatta is sent back down, I will begin to question whether the Penguins actually WANT to win the Stanley Cup again. Maybe they're just satisfied with the sellouts at the CEC.

Lulz.

HF, never change

ThatGuy

Dec 21, 2006
If kid can play good level in NHL.. what do you think will evolve your player better, random junior league or NHL? (Free tip: Its like thinking if hardcore training at your limits or 1minute walk in a park smoking cigarette will evolve your body better).

He is at that age where he can evolve ALOT in two years.. being superstar in kids league ain't good idea. He's solid bottom 2-4 man already but if he faces tough competition he can become better and learn..

thank you for the free tip

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Anyone can see...

Tooooooooooooooo

SHOOTANDSCORE

MAATTA, just killed Despres
Put a bun against his head
gulped it down
and now he's dead.

MAATTA, the season's JUST BEGUN
And now you've gone and played it all away.

MAATTA, oooohooohhhh
I don't wanna lie
I'd rather see you there
than Niskanen

Skate on, skate on
As if nothing really Maattas

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:banghead:

:facepalm:

:p:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm going to have to trust Shero and Bylsma on this one over you. If he was playing better than our other dmen he would be on this team right now.

Oh great this argument. Despres is an NHL defenseman. As of last June, according to Bylsma he is "a top 4 defenseman". He certainly didn't "take the bull by the horns" or whatever, but it's not like he regressed over night. Maatta outplayed him in camp and he was the only waiver eligible dman so he was sent down. I really wish people could see the whole picture instead of resorting to this kind of reasoning.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would say there is no world in which he was playing worse than a guy who got converted to forward. I would also say that Niskanen played worse in camp and preseason, though obviously he's done well, so far, in the regular season.

The key here, though, is waiver eligibility. Even the team itself has mentioned that as a factor. A "business decision" and all that. It's easy to say he "needs to work on things" when you've already made the decision ahead of time to send him down because you know you can do it without fear of consequence. Unlike someone like Bortuzzo.

The writing was probably on the wall for Despres when Scuderi put ink to paper.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Oh great this argument. Despres is an NHL defenseman. As of last June, according to Bylsma he is "a top 4 defenseman". He certainly didn't "take the bull by the horns" or whatever, but it's not like he regressed over night. Maatta outplayed him in camp and he was the only waiver eligible dman so he was sent down. I really wish people could see the whole picture instead of resorting to this kind of reasoning.
Eh, he shows flashes of good play but his consistency is poor. Niskanen is still a better dman and capable of handling much tougher minutes. I was hoping Despres would come into camp and blow everyone away but he obviously didn't. Instead we just heard rumors about how he came to camp out of shape. Either they're sending him a message to shape up, or they're choosing Maatta over him for the time being, because there's no way he's better than Niskanen right now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Eh, he shows flashes of good play but his consistency is poor. Niskanen is still a better dman and capable of handling much tougher minutes. I was hoping Despres would come into camp and blow everyone away but he obviously didn't. Instead we just heard rumors about how he came to camp out of shape. Either they're sending him a message to shape up, or they're choosing Maatta over him for the time being, because there's no way he's better than Niskanen right now.

The problem with this thinking is you are putting stock into rumors that were made up and basically debunked. Also, so what if he isn't better than Niskanen right now? If it weren't for Vokoun's injury, Niskanen wouldn't be on this team (or Jokinen but that would have been incredibly stupid). Point being, we have an incredible amount of depth on D. I just don't see why anyone needs to blame Despres or put all types of negative qualities on him for being sent down. He's an NHL dman that got caught in a numbers game and his waiver eligibility screwed him over. Like any young dman, he has things to improve on, but make no mistake, if he wasn't waiver exempt, he'd be on this team.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
The problem with this thinking is you are putting stock into rumors that were made up and basically debunked. Also, so what if he isn't better than Niskanen right now? If it weren't for Vokoun's injury, Niskanen wouldn't be on this team (or Jokinen but that would have been incredibly stupid). Point being, we have an incredible amount of depth on D. I just don't see why anyone needs to put down Despres for being sent down. He's an NHL dman that got caught in a numbers game and his waiver eligibility screwed him over.
I like Despres a lot actually. His potential is great and his skating ability is quite remarkable for someone who's 6'-4". I just think sometimes where there's smoke there's fire. If the staff was completely happy with him i don't think they would've sent him down and kept Maatta up, especially considering Despres had cemented himself as a regular last year. So i don't think it was completely a numbers game, i think management/staff are sending him a bit of a message too.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They might be sending him a message but it has nothing to do with the shape he's in. That was 100% bogus.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I like Despres a lot actually. His potential is great and his skating ability is quite remarkable for someone who's 6'-4". I just think sometimes where there's smoke there's fire. If the staff was completely happy with him i don't think they would've sent him down and kept Maatta up, especially considering Despres had cemented himself as a regular last year. So i don't think it was completely a numbers game, i think management/staff are sending him a bit of a message too.

"Where there's smoke there's fire" The worst and most abused phrase in the english language? On these boards at least, I have found that where there's smoke, there is usually little or no fire.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
They might be sending him a message but it has nothing to do with the shape he's in. That was 100% bogus.
Yeah i'm sure it is. Whoever spread that probably heard the staff was unhappy with him or expected more out of him and put their own spin on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad