Olli Määttä is Ready (Orpik Believes, Ignore Lying Burg Media Swine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Contrary to popular belief, we're not nearly good enough to simply decide to send a player back to junior hockey when he's clearly made a lasting impression as a regular defenseman.

If Maatta is sent back down, I will begin to question whether the Penguins actually WANT to win the Stanley Cup again. Maybe they're just satisfied with the sellouts at the CEC.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Bennett played in 26 games and scored 3 goals. You would have thought he put up more points considering the amount of praise. He hasn't potted a goal in 12 consecutive regular season games.

I know he has Ron Francis playmaking abilities, a Jagr scoring touch and an overall game similar to Mario but again, if he wasn't a first round draft pick, he wouldn't get nearly the amount of praise.

Trust me, no one wants him to work out for the pens more than me. I'm so effing tired of fringe nhl players or reclamation projects. I just know to be cautiously optimistic with prospects / young players. But way too many folks thought Boychuk was very good and was just "snake bitten." I think he died from the snake bite. Plus all of the crazies calling for Tangradi to be a top 6 winger.

Just ease up on the praise, you a are jinxing these players.

I'm sure his wrist injury couldn't have effected his goal scoring ability at all.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If Maatta is going to stay then someone needs to be moved in the next 10 games (not Engelland because I don't want Bort as the 7th, he's done enough to solidify a permanent spot and hopefully still has a little development left in him).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
because a natural progression of someone who is impressing the coaching staff and is getting better each year and has the level of talent / ceiling that Despres has does not spend his 3rd year as a pro in the AHL.

There is no dispute that 2 years ago that the coaching staff was pissed at despres due to being out of shape.

There is no real argument that last year he didn't exactly start out strong for wbs.

This is the 3rd year, and it seems to be a pattern, where the beginning of the season he is not at the level he needs to be. The pre-season games the eyeball test he didn't look as good as last year. (against lesser competition)

Sure our media stinks, we did have several different sources allude to coaching staff not being happy. Perhaps they all were wrong, certainly the reliability of a lot of them is in question. Perhaps the media release about how the coaching staff was impressed because because he was sick the first day of camp was a PR move. I'm not speculating on that.

What I am saying is this is a guy that skates very very well, and is huge. He has legit top 4 skills, this is his 3rd year pro and he could not earn a spot for whatever reason, in fact he didn't even make it a hard decision. We do know that Shero stated that Despres was untouchable last season and that at least CBJ inquired about him. So he was untouchable last season, looked damn good at times with Letang and now he's in the AHL and has a reasonable chance of being traded.

It's hard to spin those up into anything other then Despres is not where he really should be this year in his progression. We do know he has had work ethic issues in the past, it was rumored to be an issue this year (but squashed).

A lot of this you are making up based on your perception of the situation. Who decided he has a reasonable chance of being traded? Sounds like you make it up.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Contrary to popular belief, we're not nearly good enough to simply decide to send a player back to junior hockey when he's clearly made a lasting impression as a regular defenseman.

If Maatta is sent back down, I will begin to question whether the Penguins actually WANT to win the Stanley Cup again. Maybe they're just satisfied with the sellouts at the CEC.

Maata's been good, but everyone has the new toy syndrome. Do you really think sending Maata down changes our seed in the playoffs? I dont.

Maata would most likely be available for what the 2nd round? If everyone else craps the bed?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Maata's been good, but everyone has the new toy syndrome. Do you really think sending Maata down changes our seed in the playoffs? I dont.

Maata would most likely be available for what the 2nd round? If everyone else craps the bed?

The Memorial Cup is played in mid-May. If you send him down, you won't see him again until September.

This new toy happens to be GOOD.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The Memorial Cup is played in mid-May. If you send him down, you won't see him again until September.

I have such an incredible dislike for people who are too intellectually lazy to make actual arguments and instead resort to quips and strawmen.

Maatta's the new toy.

Bennett's a new toy.

Despres was never good, just a new toy.

No one who thinks those players aren't worthy of being in the NHL full time can ever provide any sort of intelligent, coherent reasoning for it. People who they are are just too starry-eyed to see the truth!

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

You don't send a 19 year old down to juniors and then play him in the conference finals. That's idiocy.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The experience he'd get here even in 30 more games would be invaluable. Worth more than another year on his ELC. If we have to send him back later, it was still worth it. He'll be that much better next year. We're in win now mode. Worry about the contracts when Sid/Geno are 30+.

And as mentioned before, if we want a smooth transition from vets to younglings on D, keeping Maatta up goes a long way in accomplishing that. Despres and Dumoulin get to round out their games in the minors and be ready for prominent roles next year if/when we move on from Brooks. And possibly Martin the year after.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

He is good. Is he that much better than despres right now? Probably... is he that much better its worth burning a year of his entry level deal? I dont think so.

There's ways to keep him, and have it make sense, but we need to trade not 1 but 2 damn to do so.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He is good. Is he that much better than despres right now? Probably... is he that much better its worth burning a year of his entry level deal? I dont think so.

There's ways to keep him, and have it make sense, but we need to trade not 1 but 2 damn to do so.

What is this whole "burning a year" thing? It's not burning a year of an ELC if he's, you know, playing in the NHL. If he's good enough to play and help the team this year, how are they wasting a year of his contract? None of this makes any rational sense.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

He's a part of the future, so it's only a question of when you re-up with him on his next deal, so the ELC argument is a non-issue. If anything, it'll cost you more on his next contract if you send him back now, because three seasons from now he's going to be really good. Two seasons from now, he'll also look good. But perhaps you can save a little something by re-upping him sooner rather than later.

Why are we trading TWO d-men, exactly? Just move on from Niskanen and we're fine on D.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I have such an incredible dislike for people who are too intellectually lazy to make actual arguments and instead resort to quips and strawmen.

Maatta's the new toy.

Bennett's a new toy.

Despres was never good, just a new toy.

No one who thinks those players aren't worthy of being in the NHL full time can ever provide any sort of intelligent, coherent reasoning for it. People who they are are just too starry-eyed to see the truth!

He's worthy, but is it necessary? I've already said I dont think our season changes much with or without him. If we trade 2 d-men away, then sure keep him. Otherwise we have 8 D-men that all need playing time.

Yes, I include despres, mainly cause I think he needs NHL time, not AHL time. 8 of those guys probably deserve to start, with engelland being #7.

Orpik Letang
Martin Scuds
Niskanen Bort
Despres Maata
Engels

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He's worthy, but is it necessary? I've already said I dont think our season changes much with or without him. If we trade 2 d-men away, then sure keep him. Otherwise we have 8 D-men that all need playing time.

Yes, I include despres, mainly cause I think he needs NHL time, not AHL time. 8 of those guys probably deserve to start, with engelland being #7.

Orpik Letang
Martin Scuds
Niskanen Bort
Despres Maata
Engels

This is the kind of arrogant talk that should only be reserved for the defending champions of any sport. Last I checked, we haven't come close to sniffing from the Cup in quite some time.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
What is this whole "burning a year" thing? It's not burning a year of an ELC if he's, you know, playing in the NHL. If he's good enough to play and help the team this year, how are they wasting a year of his contract? None of this makes any rational sense.

Because we have 9 nhl Dman currently. Thats why I said if we trade two, sure keep him.

Everyone has forgot about Despres.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I love Despres as much as anyone. I want him in the NHL. Him being in the NHL is, in my mind, a separate thing from Maatta.

I understand that that's likely not the case for Penguins management, though, and that could be an issue in IcedCappWorld™

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Maatta's ahead of him now. We have to deal with it. Despres in the AHL conserves our depth. Maatta to London (OHL) hurts it.

Maybe, i'm not completely against it. I still think Despres needs NHL minutes though. Bortuzzo and Maata really f'd up the plans, no one expected either to play as well as they have.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Use Despres in a shutdown role in WBS. Give Maatta steady minutes here. Move on from Nisky. Promote one of Despres/Dumoulin next year. Move on from Brooks.

That's what Id do.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I love Despres as much as anyone. I want him in the NHL. Him being in the NHL is, in my mind, a separate thing from Maatta.

I understand that that's likely not the case for Penguins management, though, and that could be an issue in IcedCappWorldâ„¢

Right, thats my argument though. If Maata stays, despres (most likely) is in the AHL the entire year, barring penguin like injury troubles.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Right, thats my argument though. If Maata stays, despres (most likely) is in the AHL the entire year, barring penguin like injury troubles.

I don't care which one it is, ONE of them needs to play 82 in Pittsburgh (barring injuries).

I mean, I'd love for it to be Despres, but if it's neither, it's a wasted year, development-wise.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

I understand that that's likely not the case for Penguins management, though, and that could be an issue in IcedCappWorldâ„¢

It's not just you, coffee-lover. I'm right with you. There's room here for both, but management surely thinks otherwise.

Maybe, i'm not completely against it. I still think Despres needs NHL minutes though. Bortuzzo and Maata really f'd up the plans, no one expected either to play as well as they have.

They didn't f anything up. They outplayed him. Hell, they've outplayed others who are ahead of them on the depth chart, too.

The Maatta-Bortuzzo pairing this season is one of the VERY FEW instances where players have actually been rewarded for their performance under Dan Bylsma's watch. And Simon Despres didn't deserve to play ahead of them. Accountability. Again, a RARE instance of this under Bylsma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad