Olli Määttä is Ready (Orpik Believes, Ignore Lying Burg Media Swine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
If we keep Maatta for the season, does Shero let him play in the WJC?

This would be all sorts of awesome, as WJC will be played in my current hometown this year. Think I got my Xmas vacations sorted. :handclap: (Was gonna go anyway, but Määttä will bring a lot of extra.)

They have 3 days to decide, I wouldn't be surprised if Shero is making some calls and saying "Nisky/Orpik is on the table for 3 days, if there are no good offers the kid goes back to juniors."

This. Määttä wasn't that spectacular yesterday, but I guess it was obvious since he's been that more or less the past 7 games. Bylsma denied the news that was circulating the internetz, but I guess we get to see how it is by Friday. Määttä would be totally fine for keeps, but Shero will have to see from the whole organization point of view. Now, if we only got top-6 etc. move on, nothing to see here.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Orpik's not going anywhere.
Niskanen, Despres and Engelland may be being offered up though.

Really it comes down to the bottom pairing AND the fact that there will usually be 1 or 2 injuries on the backend.

If they send Maata back, the bottom pairing is Niskanen-Bortuzzo or Niskanen-Engelland or it's Despres/Dumoulin/whoever-Niskanen.

Does Maata-Niskanen or Maata-Bortuzzo sound better to the brass? It does to me but i don't know the brass's answer.

Now if you factor in injuries. Maata staying gives them better options. Like now with Letang out. If Maata wasn't here it would look like:

Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Niskanen
Despres/Domoulin/Bortuzzo-Engelland

It will be interesting. If he does stay, i expect some personel to be moved at some point.

I wouldn't be stunned to see both Nisky AND Despres moved. As you said, Oprik isn't happening.

As for Maatta, a few tough shifts tonight, but again you see the learning.

One thing that I'd like to see is for him to use his body a little more sometimes trying to wedge the play outside. Sometimes, he relies a little too much on his stick. I think Duchsene caught him twice that way.

Problem is-- and I think situations like above is why he's staying-- the coaching staff realizes that to the degree he's showing holes, they're holes that he's only going to address against NHL caliber competition. Key is for him to continue on the positive learning curve while continuing to turn in polished, legit top six caliber performances.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
Olli needs to stay. He has been so impressive in every game. Yesterday's game against the Avs wasn't his best game but i still would like to see him here more than 9 games.

I like Despres and want to see him up here just because of how rare his skillset is. For his size, aside from a Jay Bouwmeester, I don't know if I've seen a big man have wheels like that. If he can consistently bring a physical element to his game, he'll be a great middle pairing, shut down defenseman. I love how strong he is in the corners. He just purely out muscles guys and starts skating it the other way.

I can see the potential of Despres being a really good defenseman who can log a ton of mins.

This. Great post and i totally agree.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I look at this season as maata or despres. I think you bring despres up and send maata down. Its best for the organization in the future.

I dont think there's any combination that despres and maata are playing in the top 6 this year. Everyone looks at the shiny new toy and while he's been really good, I dont think he's sooo good that we need to burn one of his years, when we really don't need the help. We have an overabundance of Dman.

Despres value is probably pretty low right now and if maata stays i think you have to trade him. Cant have him play another year in the AHL, he's not going to get much better down there.

Fire Shero*

I'm shocked he's been with the big club for this long. Tweedle dee and tweedle dum don't usually play rooks so I am amazed he lasted this long. I don't know what would shock me more, Maatta staying with the pens for the entire season or Shero drafting a capable forward this summer in the 1st round.

I still think they should send him back down. He's been very good but lets not act like he's irreplaceable at this point. It's not like he is the missing piece, there's 2 things this team doesn't really need more of and that's bottom pairing dmen and bottom 6 forwards.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I look at this season as maata or despres. I think you bring despres up and send maata down. Its best for the organization in the future.

I dont think there's any combination that despres and maata are playing in the top 6 this year. Everyone looks at the shiny new toy and while he's been really good, I dont think he's sooo good that we need to burn one of his years, when we really don't need the help. We have an overabundance of Dman.

Despres value is probably pretty low right now and if maata stays i think you have to trade him. Cant have him play another year in the AHL, he's not going to get much better down there.

Actually last year watching Despres in the AHL he looked mediocre, came up to the NHL and he looked great (at times at least). I dunno some players just play better in the NHL then they do in the AHL and Despres seems to be one of them.

That said this year is totally on Despres, of course the public will never know the real/full story. But it's pretty obvious that he did not build off last year, did not prepare himself to compete for a job. I think Despres has top 4 maybe top pairing potential as a D-man. I truly thought that him and Letang (before Scuderi was signed) could be our top pairing someday. Now, I question his work ethic at this point.
From untouchable last season to maybe trade bait this season. :shakehead

The exact opposite can be said of Bortuzzo, look at the transformation he did over the summer. He made a statement in camp and continues to shine.

Fire Shero*

I never saw Despres playing great last season.i thought he and Bortuzzo looked about the same. I think he's a classic case of this site over valuing a 1st rounder. We are drying for a damn Shero draft pick to develop for this team. Hence the glorification of Bennett and Despres. Hopefully Bourtuzzo works out.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I never saw Despres playing great last season.i thought he and Bortuzzo looked about the same. I think he's a classic case of this site over valuing a 1st rounder. We are drying for a damn Shero draft pick to develop for this team. Hence the glorification of Bennett and Despres. Hopefully Bourtuzzo works out.
THIS. Bennett´s glorification is kinda deserved, though.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Despres certainly played great at times last year. The game against the Isles where he crushed a guy in the corner of the defensive zone and galloped down the ice to score a goal sticks out. There were others too.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
That said this year is totally on Despres, of course the public will never know the real/full story. But it's pretty obvious that he did not build off last year, did not prepare himself to compete for a job. I think Despres has top 4 maybe top pairing potential as a D-man. I truly thought that him and Letang (before Scuderi was signed) could be our top pairing someday. Now, I question his work ethic at this point.
From untouchable last season to maybe trade bait this season. :shakehead

Why? Because of inaccurate comments from our media?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I like that they're using Despres on their shutdown pairing in WBS. That's what his ideal upside is. A guy who can play hard minutes against the biggest and most skilled forwards, while also complementing his D partner with his ability in transition. Despres/Martin would look nice next year. As well as Scuds and Maatta rotating with Letang.

Scuds/Bort as a PK tandem will be key as well if we're moving on from Orpik. I could see Scuds being invaluable to Bort's development.

Fire Shero*

THIS. Bennett´s glorification is kinda deserved, though.

Bennett played in 26 games and scored 3 goals. You would have thought he put up more points considering the amount of praise. He hasn't potted a goal in 12 consecutive regular season games.

I know he has Ron Francis playmaking abilities, a Jagr scoring touch and an overall game similar to Mario but again, if he wasn't a first round draft pick, he wouldn't get nearly the amount of praise.

Trust me, no one wants him to work out for the pens more than me. I'm so effing tired of fringe nhl players or reclamation projects. I just know to be cautiously optimistic with prospects / young players. But way too many folks thought Boychuk was very good and was just "snake bitten." I think he died from the snake bite. Plus all of the crazies calling for Tangradi to be a top 6 winger.

Just ease up on the praise, you a are jinxing these players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
I like that they're using Despres on their shutdown pairing in WBS. That's what his ideal upside is. A guy who can play hard minutes against the biggest and most skilled forwards, while also complementing his D partner with his ability in transition. Despres/Martin would look nice next year. As well as Scuds and Maatta rotating with Letang.

Scuds/Bort as a PK tandem will be key as well if we're moving on from Orpik. I could see Scuds being invaluable to Bort's development.

Agreed on pretty much all counts. I like the idea of Despres-Letang, but with the addition of Scuderi, I like Scuds-Letang and Despres-Martin, with some combination of Määttä, Bortuzzo, and Dumoulin as our third pairing. This is all for next year, though, since I'm starting to abandon hope of seeing Despres up in full capacity this year, and you just know there'll be some veteran d-man signed or retained.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Agreed on pretty much all counts. I like the idea of Despres-Letang, but with the addition of Scuderi, I like Scuds-Letang and Despres-Martin, with some combination of Määttä, Bortuzzo, and Dumoulin as our third pairing. This is all for next year, though, since I'm starting to abandon hope of seeing Despres up in full capacity this year, and you just know there'll be some veteran d-man signed or retained.

We may see him if Nisky is moved and Maatta looks a bit over his head later in the season.

But yeah, if he's going to be in WBS for most of this season, I hope they're grooming him for that role next year. I see that as being the easiest way to transition from vets to young guys.

If they move Despres, then Dumoulin looks pretty capable of being able to handle a big role right off the bat.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Bennett played in 26 games and scored 3 goals. You would have thought he put up more points considering the amount of praise. He hasn't potted a goal in 12 consecutive regular season games.

I know he has Ron Francis playmaking abilities, a Jagr scoring touch and an overall game similar to Mario but again, if he wasn't a first round draft pick, he wouldn't get nearly the amount of praise.
He's still working on his game...and the kid needs to do more work in the weight room as well. But the raw talent is undeniable though. Sure, you can say 3 goals in 26 games means we're overrating him, but his vision and passing are really very impressive for a late first rounder.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Trust me, no one wants him to work out for the pens more than me. I'm so effing tired of fringe nhl players or reclamation projects. I just know to be cautiously optimistic with prospects / young players. But way too many folks thought Boychuk was very good and was just "snake bitten." I think he died from the snake bite. Plus all of the crazies calling for Tangradi to be a top 6 winger.

To the bolded, I'm not so sure that's true. You love spending your time *****ing about the lack of wingers, so if he became an all star, what you do with the extra time on your hands?

Also, no one is saying Bennett is an amazing winger, but the skillset and the hands are there. He just needs more time to show what he can do.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's strange, I try to follow prospects during their draft year, but when we picked Bennett I knew next to nothing about him. For a little while after the draft, I expected him to arrive in Pittsburgh as an offense-only sniper. He's become a solid defensive player who tends towards playmaking, almost the opposite of what I initially expected.

On topic, is there anything concrete about Määttä staying up? I still expect him to be sent back before Friday, and Letang makes his season debut that night, despite the reports that the Pens are going to keep him up.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It's strange, I try to follow prospects during their draft year, but when we picked Bennett I knew next to nothing about him. For a little while after the draft, I expected him to arrive in Pittsburgh as an offense-only sniper. He's become a solid defensive player who tends towards playmaking, almost the opposite of what I initially expected.

On topic, is there anything concrete about Määttä staying up? I still expect him to be sent back before Friday, and Letang makes his season debut that night, despite the reports that the Pens are going to keep him up.

Well Bennett's never been a sniper. He is a playmaker through and through. But yeah, I never expected the all around game that I see from him.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012

I cannot see the Pens being able to keep him up at this point. I don't think it is the right move, but given the Pen's past decision making "process" I do not see how they keep him unless there is some major trade in our future.

I am also highly skeptical about a trade in our future with the low cap.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well Bennett's never been a sniper. He is a playmaker through and through. But yeah, I never expected the all around game that I see from him.

Yeah, I think I was basing that off the first video I saw of him, which was highlights of him in the BCHL (edit: this video). Showed a lot of left circle one-timers. When he went to Denver I was actually able to see him play a few times (not live), but I got a better feel for his game. I do think the wrist injury really dried up his goal-scoring. I hope that part of his game really starts to improve this season, and although its early, he did seem to be getting some decent shots off before he got hurt.

I cannot see the Pens being able to keep him up at this point. I don't think it is the right move, but given the Pen's past decision making "process" I do not see how they keep him unless there is some major trade in our future.

Yeah, it all just works out too perfectly. Letang just got locked up long-term, so there's no need for him to play in October games right now. Give him a little extra time to rest, a few more full practices while letting Määttä get as much playing time as possible. A long stretch of time with games off between last night and Friday makes it the perfect time for Letang to come back. Tell Määttä we're very happy with how he's played, he's a big part of the team's future plans, and we want him to be a leader in every way for London in the OHL and Memorial Cup and maybe some specific things we want him to focus on this season.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Sure would be nice to see him in a position on the first unit to take left circle one-timers whenever he gets back. Bennett actually has a really good shot... we just haven't gotten much of a chance to see him flash it, yet. He's definitely biasing towards pass, for now. It'll come with ice time and confidence.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

Wow dude. Hyperbole much?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Why? Because of inaccurate comments from our media?

because a natural progression of someone who is impressing the coaching staff and is getting better each year and has the level of talent / ceiling that Despres has does not spend his 3rd year as a pro in the AHL.

There is no dispute that 2 years ago that the coaching staff was pissed at despres due to being out of shape.

There is no real argument that last year he didn't exactly start out strong for wbs.

This is the 3rd year, and it seems to be a pattern, where the beginning of the season he is not at the level he needs to be. The pre-season games the eyeball test he didn't look as good as last year. (against lesser competition)

Sure our media stinks, we did have several different sources allude to coaching staff not being happy. Perhaps they all were wrong, certainly the reliability of a lot of them is in question. Perhaps the media release about how the coaching staff was impressed because because he was sick the first day of camp was a PR move. I'm not speculating on that.

What I am saying is this is a guy that skates very very well, and is huge. He has legit top 4 skills, this is his 3rd year pro and he could not earn a spot for whatever reason, in fact he didn't even make it a hard decision. We do know that Shero stated that Despres was untouchable last season and that at least CBJ inquired about him. So he was untouchable last season, looked damn good at times with Letang and now he's in the AHL and has a reasonable chance of being traded.

It's hard to spin those up into anything other then Despres is not where he really should be this year in his progression. We do know he has had work ethic issues in the past, it was rumored to be an issue this year (but squashed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad