Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Nah, the outright dismissal of a player's potential fit (playing style, character, etc.) with an organization and how that can impact both their own development and the team's overall chemistry is rather the lesson that needs to be learned here.

There is no such lesson. To be blunt - this is completely fabricated bull****.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
nice to see juolevi is progressing nicely. i have no idea why we're talking about tkachuk in here. that debate will not start again until juolevi is in the nhl.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Based on this Florida fans shouldn't judge the Panthers taking Tyler Plante ahead of James Neal in 2005 because Plante hasn't played in the NHL yet.

based on the fact someone was suddenly comparing juolevi positively to tkachuk because of juolevi's recent good play in the liiga. i am not much interested in that apples and oranges debate starting up.

i suspect we're on the same side on this one.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
based on the fact someone was suddenly comparing juolevi positively to tkachuk because of juolevi's recent good play in the liiga. i am not much interested in that apples and oranges debate starting up.

i suspect we're on the same side on this one.

Juolevi is already a blown pick. I don’t see his play surpassing what Tkachuk, Keller, or Sergachev have accomplished. Whether or not we salvage a useful second pairing defenseman out of him remains to be seen.

Reactions: timw33

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Juolevi is already a blown pick. I don’t see his play surpassing what Tkachuk, Keller, or Sergachev have accomplished. Whether or not we salvage a useful second pairing defenseman out of him remains to be seen.

ok, well if you insist.

many miles away
something crawls to the top of the u20 leaderboard
of a small finnish pro league

Reactions: OEL for Norris

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As nice as it is to see Juolevi progressing rather than stagnating like it looked like he was possibly in danger of doing, until he does show as much promise as Tkachuk currently does, it would only be reasonable to view that comparison as being wildly unfavorable to Juolevi.

It's ludicrous to make a wait and see type comment in response to that. He has a huge mountain to climb just to break even, and that's if Tkachuk stands perfectly still and doesn't progress even further. It's reasonable to be tentatively dismissive about that possibility because it's currently wildly unlikely to happen. If it does, great-- but that possibility is wishful thinking right now, to say the least.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Joulevi is doing well (opposite ways to expected ie good D/adequate O prospect is turning into a great O/medicore D. strange but take what you can get). Valuewise he's losing to NHLers like Keller/Tkachuk but he's got time and maybe he catches up with the others in his draft, I'm fine waiting another year or two, the team stinks and we'd just be burning contract years.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Based on this Florida fans shouldn't judge the Panthers taking Tyler Plante ahead of James Neal in 2005 because Plante hasn't played in the NHL yet.
That's a great analogy. I mean, it's not like Juolevi is 19 years old or anything.

And we all know that defensemen usually only take a few months, maybe a year tops, to fully develop and showcase their full potential. For instance, Duncan Keith, Zdeno Chara, Ryan Suter, Brent Burns, Victor Hedman, and Mark Giordano all made instant impacts on their team and were all Calder candidates right out of the gate. In fact, I don't think anyone questioned Victor Hedman's development curve at all. He was an instant sensation.

As nice as it is to see Juolevi progressing rather than stagnating like it looked like he was possibly in danger of doing, until he does show as much promise as Tkachuk currently does, it would only be reasonable to view that comparison as being wildly unfavorable to Juolevi.

It's ludicrous to make a wait and see type comment in response to that. He has a huge mountain to climb just to break even, and that's if Tkachuk stands perfectly still and doesn't progress even further. It's reasonable to be tentatively dismissive about that possibility because it's currently wildly unlikely to happen. If it does, great-- but that possibility is wishful thinking right now, to say the least.
As you may be able to tell from my comment above, defensemen don't develop at the same rate as forwards. There's even a big discrepancy between defensemen, as some develop more quickly than others. Many of the NHL's best defensemen were written off or came out of nowhere, since it's harder to predict how they'll progress.

Unfortunately, even though you don't like it, people who are proclaiming "wait and see" are 100% correct.

Last edited:

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
That's a great analogy. I mean, it's not like Juolevi is 19 years old or anything.

And we all know that defensemen usually only take a few months, maybe a year tops, to fully develop and showcase their full potential. For instance, Duncan Keith, Zdeno Chara, Ryan Suter, Brent Burns, Victor Hedman, and Mark Giordano all made instant impacts on their team and were all Calder candidates right out of the gate. In fact, I don't think anyone questioned Victor Hedman's development curve at all. He was an instant sensation.

What a load of garbage this post is. Hedman made the NHL right away after his draft year. In his d+2 year he averaged 21:01 of icetime second among defencemen on the TBL.

Most dmen drafted high in the draft make the NHL by their d+2 season. The ones that don't generally turn out to be busts with a couple of exceptions. Get a clue about how elite prospects develop instead of regurgitating tired old cliches like "dmen develop slower!!!"

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

As you may be able to tell from my comment above, defensemen don't develop at the same rate as forwards. There's even a big discrepancy between defensemen, as some develop more quickly than others. Many of the NHL's best defensemen were written off or came out of nowhere, since it's harder to predict how they'll progress.

Unfortunately, even though you don't like it, people who are proclaiming "wait and see" are 100% correct.

Defensemen picked in the top 5 develop very quickly. Defensemen picked in later rounds (like most of your examples) take longer because ... well that’s what players drafted in later rounds do.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What a load of garbage this post is. Hedman made the NHL right away after his draft year. In his d+2 year he averaged 21:01 of icetime second among defencemen on the TBL.

Most dmen drafted high in the draft make the NHL by their d+2 season. The ones that don't generally turn out to be busts with a couple of exceptions. Get a clue about how elite prospects develop instead of regurgitating tired old cliches like "dmen develop slower!!!"

People use the “defensemen take longer to develop” as an excuse. There’s almost no stats that support this. Meanwhile the evidence overwhelmingly supports the statement that defensemen who don’t make the NHL in their Draft +2 season, especially defensemen drafted high, end up busting. Very few exceptions, Dougie Hamilton for example, and those who are the exception at least showed progression between their Draft and Draft +1 seasons.

If you were to do a 2016 re-draft, I question if Juolevi would even go in the first round. Definitely not a top 20 pick at least.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

And, yet, many a NHL GM or scout has said that they will usually steer toward drafting forwards earlier because their development curve is easier to predict. They must just be saying that to hear themselves talk, since it's obviously just a tired old cliche...

Early in his career, Hedman's validity as a franchise defenseman and #2 pick was questioned, since he didn't storm out of the gate the same way a player like Doughty did. Yes, he was an NHL defenseman early in his career but it took a while for him to take off to his current level and many were impatient.

The point is, you generally know pretty early on what you're getting from a forward. That's not necessarily the case with defensemen. Off the top of my head, Ryan Ellis is a good example of having to wait and see with a highly drafted defenseman.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Defensemen picked in the top 5 develop very quickly. Defensemen picked in later rounds (like most of your examples) take longer because ... well that’s what players drafted in later rounds do.

I'd argue most Dmen picked in the top 5 don't develop very quickly because that have already developed and that is why they are ahead of their peers. It's the ones later in the draft that need to develop to get them moving upwards.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
My baseless speculation is that it doesn't take Dmen longer to develop, it just takes longer to make the NHL full time. It's not that big of a commitment to keep 1 spot for a developing fwd w the big club. 1 of 6 dmen spots is a bigger risk to take, therefore you might want to be a little extra certain before letting a Dman stay up than a forward.

Reactions: Jyrki21

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

he is progressing just fine in finland. he is certainly behind other players. we won't be able to evaluate him until he gets to the nhl. recently he did not look remotely ready for the nhl.

all that is obvious. i agree there is not much to discuss until he returns to the nhl and we can measure his progress where it counts. the recent good results in finland are simply encouraging and reason to hope.

but being "tentatively dismissive" of a 19 year old off who is breaking u20 records in a pro league in finland and calling the idea that he might yet be ok for his draft position "wishful thinking"is not analysis. "tentatively dismissive" is not an analytical approach justified by the objective evidence. it's being unreasonable and disclosing that your analysis has an agenda. perhaps not as big an agenda as another poster calling him a "blown pick" but nevertheless its just posturing masquerading as analysis. you give yourself away with the use of "ludicrous" where it no way fits in with a rational discussion of the situation.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'd argue most Dmen picked in the top 5 don't develop very quickly because that have already developed and that is why they are ahead of their peers. It's the ones later in the draft that need to develop to get them moving upwards.

Ya, my wording was a bit lazy. You’re right that they are typically more advanced in their development at the draft which is why they are picked high on the first place.

I should have said “make the NHL quickly” to be more accurate.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
My baseless speculation is that it doesn't take Dmen longer to develop, it just takes longer to make the NHL full time. It's not that big of a commitment to keep 1 spot for a developing fwd w the big club. 1 of 6 dmen spots is a bigger risk to take, therefore you might want to be a little extra certain before letting a Dman stay up than a forward.

I think they take a year or so longer.

a) As you say, hiding a forward is easy
b) overlooking a rookies defensive errors is easier at forward. A defender who can't defend gets sent down, a rookie forward with points gets more leeway
c) physical maturity is more important for Dmen than forwards. You might get by as a stick figure forward but as a dman you are going to smashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad