Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Edler has motivation issues and when he's not playing in meaningful games he's coasting. It's not his fault he had to anchor one of the worst d cores since 2011. Tanev doesn't even count since he's averages like 25 games missed since he came into the league

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I said this in another thread but one of the problems with Juolevi is he doesn’t even have one good dimension to fall back on. Not an offensive damn, defense is sub par, as far away from physical as possible, not even fast. So what is he good at? A half decent pass doesn’t even make you a good rec league player much less a paid professional. And I’m not convinced he’s a particularly great passer even.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm willing to look the other way on rookie mistakes. There is little shame in a rookie getting beat by a guy like Kopitar on a quick transition play. If he was out muscled so be it. There IS shame in failing put forth any sort of effort. If it was a one off I'd be be more understanding but this has been a common problem with his game since he was drafted. It shouldn't be happening in that situation. "Oh crap I got beat and better bust my ass to try to make up for it" isn't something that typically needs to be taught to high echelon players. Not only has needed to be taught to this prospect but the lessons also aren't sinking in. He was careless and lazy on another shift on a break out where Kovalchuk caught him, stole the puck and went in on a good chance.

I hope somehow he realizes that effort is needed but it's hard not to have doubts.

I think there are two glaring issues with that play. One is definitely the lack of effort or urgency, but the other - and the worst of the two - is the complete lack of recognition or reaction to the development of that play. It’s basically a two on two where Kopitar is absolutely Juolevi’s man and he simply watches AK skate into position to receive a simple pass and head straight to the net. Considering that Juolevi was lauded as having a “high hockey IQ”, he should have seen that play coming and skated harder to stay with AK BEFORE the pass gets through. The fact that he doesn’t recognize it is worse than the gliding behind Kopitar after he gets the puck. I’ve seen forwards read a play better than that.

Reactions: timw33

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
I said this in another thread but one of the problems with Juolevi is he doesn’t even have one good dimension to fall back on. Not an offensive damn, defense is sub par, as far away from physical as possible, not even fast. So what is he good at? A half decent pass doesn’t even make you a good rec league player much less a paid professional. And I’m not convinced he’s a particularly great passer even.
I've been a vocal critic of Juolevi but this is just plain false.

He's good with his stick defensively in open ice. Also, his first pass isn't half decent, it's really good.

Reactions: Ryan Miller*

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
That goal reminds me of the famous Ovechkin "Controller disconnected" Gif

c03fb8b15abcfd1c50f33a30e1cce3ec.gif

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Right now he is a carbon copy of ex-Ottawa/Arizona top prospect David Rundblad, who is one of the most talented busts in recent memory.

All the skills in the world, no heart or compete level in his own zone.
If only we could get a Tarasenko level player for him.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think there are two glaring issues with that play. One is definitely the lack of effort or urgency, but the other - and the worst of the two - is the complete lack of recognition or reaction to the development of that play. It’s basically a two on two where Kopitar is absolutely Juolevi’s man and he simply watches AK skate into position to receive a simple pass and head straight to the net. Considering that Juolevi was lauded as having a “high hockey IQ”, he should have seen that play coming and skated harder to stay with AK BEFORE the pass gets through. The fact that he doesn’t recognize it is worse than the gliding behind Kopitar after he gets the puck. I’ve seen forwards read a play better than that.

In general I don’t disagree though I can cut some slack that plays develop faster in the NHL and there is an adjustment to that. But the entire thing was brutal. No reaction to the play at all. And seriously if he busted his ass he had a chance to recover on the play. Kopitar was also gliding because he had to wait for the passing play to develop. Juolevi had the chance to make a play. He CHOSE not to.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
In general I don’t disagree though I can cut some slack that plays develop faster in the NHL and there is an adjustment to that. But the entire thing was brutal. No reaction to the play at all. And seriously if he busted his ass he had a chance to recover on the play. Kopitar was also gliding because he had to wait for the passing play to develop. Juolevi had the chance to make a play. He CHOSE not to.

In general I agree (plays occur faster) but that play was fairly evident from the neutral zone on in. Just unfathomably bad read and/or absolutely zero urgency. Probably both I’d guess.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Right now he is a carbon copy of ex-Ottawa/Arizona top prospect David Rundblad, who is one of the most talented busts in recent memory.

All the skills in the world, no heart or compete level in his own zone.
Are you saying Olli Juolevi oozes talent and potential?

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

Reactions: BlueGreen

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I've been a vocal critic of Juolevi but this is just plain false.

He's good with his stick defensively in open ice. Also, his first pass isn't half decent, it's really good.

Both of those are fractions of a whole dimension. Especially the first one.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Both of those are fractions of a whole dimension. Especially the first one.
I agree completely, his defensive coverage when dealing with the rush is inconsistent. But there are times where he looks very calm and pokes the puck away. I have way more issue with his play on fifty-fifty pucks along the boards. He never wins those, and that's a huge problem.

His breakout passes are excellent. I maintain this is an NHL level skill of his. Too bad, it won't matter if he never learns how to win board battles.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I agree completely, his defensive coverage when dealing with the rush is inconsistent. But there are times where he looks very calm and pokes the puck away. I have way more issue with his play on fifty-fifty pucks along the boards. He never wins those, and that's a huge problem.

His breakout passes are excellent. I maintain this is an NHL level skill of his. Too bad, it won't matter if he never learns how to win board battles.

I can agree with that. I'll give him breakout passes, but I still don't think his passing overall is good enough to fall back on "his thing".

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

he has a better than half decent pass that connects and he is poised and unpredictable.

i agree that is not enough alone, but it is a quality that could make him very good indeed if he overcomes other issues.

what i think is lacking so far other than physicality is the ability to grab the puck and just skate out of trouble with authority. he tends to slow the play down and look for a pass.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Off to Utica apparently. Back surgery and delayed off-season training basically gave him no chance of making the Canucks...which isn't saying anything very positive given the state of the Canucks blueline. All you can hope for is a continued improvement.

But there's no way of sugar-coating it. For a fifth overall draft pick, his progression has been disappointing so far.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Off to Utica apparently. Back surgery and delayed off-season training basically gave him no chance of making the Canucks...which isn't saying anything very positive given the state of the Canucks blueline. All you can hope for is a continued improvement.

But there's no way of sugar-coating it. For a fifth overall draft pick, his progression has been disappointing so far.

It's not back surgery or delayed off season training that prevented him from making the team. It's his god damn passiveness. I guarantee you he could train all year and he will still be cut if he plays like how he did this training camp.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'm hoping he can put up at least 35-40 points in Utica with good defensive play to boot. Jordan Subban was able to put up those points (albeit not great defensively), so I think that is a fairly realistic goal for him.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I'm hoping he can put up at least 35-40 points in Utica with good defensive play to boot. Jordan Subban was able to put up those points (albeit not great defensively), so I think that is a fairly realistic goal for him.

35-40 points? I highly highly doubt it. I'd be happy with 25-30

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
35-40 points? I highly highly doubt it. I'd be happy with 25-30

Yeah, that might be too unrealistic/optimistic for him.

He's already gone 0.5 PPG (and higher in the playoffs) in a professional men's league, though. But I realize the AHL is more competitive than SM-liiga.

Utica should be a better team with Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette, etc. though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Juolevi gets 1st unit PP time, I think he will put up the points. He just seems to be the type of player who finds a way to produce offensively despite not being cosnidered the best offensive Dman on the team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Utica should be a better team with Dahlen, Lind, Gaudette, etc. though.
Talent-wise sure. But "winning AHL" clubs often are made up of a fair number of older AHL vets - they'll eat alive the AHL equivalent of the Oilers. I don't know enough of the make-up of the upcoming Comets roster to form an opinion (though Benning & Co. prior work on the Comets - or should I say, inaction is hardly inspiring).

Note, I'm not saying the AHL affiliate should be full of these older AHL vets (leaving zero room for the prospects to 'learn their stuff').

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Talent-wise sure. But "winning AHL" clubs often are made up of a fair number of older AHL vets - they'll eat alive the AHL equivalent of the Oilers. I don't know enough of the make-up of the upcoming Comets roster to form an opinion (though Benning & Co. prior work on the Comets - or should I say, inaction is hardly inspiring).

Note, I'm not saying the AHL affiliate should be full of these older AHL vets (leaving zero room for the prospects to 'learn their stuff').

Yeah I can see what you're saying. That was an area of Gillis' strength; he would often try to sign free agents to come play for our AHL team, and sometimes they ended up working out really well (Tanev, Lack, etc.).

Reactions: Hit the post

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

that is a hopeful take. factor in the appalling camp he had last year when healthy and i am not sure you can confidently blame the surgery. he had another weak camp, although better than the last one. i agree that ongoing progression is good and is what is needed.

on the bright side he is still tracking to match lidstrom's career debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad