Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Rapidly declining Edler?

His last 2 yrs have been the best of his career.

Some people get it, some people don't. You don't.

I don't think last two years were his best

His best years were around our cup run, along with Hammer Bieksa Ehrhoff.

Still remember game 7 against Chicago, ten seconds after puck drop Edler pulverized Kane straight in the face.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
if he does bust it is not a typical bust in this era other than russians. he can obviously play, but his unwillingness to engage physically calls to mind enigmatic european players of years gone by. i thought only russia still produced players who have the talent but simply will not do what is needed.

Right now he is a carbon copy of ex-Ottawa/Arizona top prospect David Rundblad, who is one of the most talented busts in recent memory.

All the skills in the world, no heart or compete level in his own zone.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I don't think last two years were his best

His best years were around our cup run, along with Hammer Bieksa Ehrhoff.

Still remember game 7 against Chicago, ten seconds after puck drop Edler pulverized Kane straight in the face.

Agreed. Edler’s best years was his early years when he could get that puck to the net and was a physical precense in the blue line.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Edler's best year was 14-15.

2011-era Edler got a lot of free PP points that look good on the back of a hockey card but was a 2nd pairing guy who was nowhere near the level defensively he is now.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

2011-era Edler got a lot of free PP points that look good on the back of a hockey card but was a 2nd pairing guy who was nowhere near the level defensively he is now.
He was also alot more physical (albeit with those defensive flaws) back then as well IMHO. That one Kings playoff series he was (doing my best McGuire impression...) "a Monster".

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

I think he's been even better since 14-15... it's just been hidden by the quality of team around him.
He should cash in huge next summer. Or take less and go to Tampa ( The Canucks Dman retirement facility).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I can't believe how bad he looked on that Kopitar goal.

Hit him, slash him, hell just put a finger on him.

Rolled out the red carpet and was looking for a cloth so he could wipe Kopitar's brow for him in case he accidentally made Kopitar sweat.

I mean I know he has some very nice skills but if he wasn't a #5 overall pick, that's a play that gets a guy announced as a cut before Green makes it to the podium for his post-game comments.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Meh...
not nearly as bad as you guys are trying to pump:

It was a quick transition and he was caught flat footed and Kopitar was able to get a jump on him. That's not the part people are taking issue with. The part people are taking issue with is that he doesn't (1) engage Kopitar in any meaningful as Kopitar is going past him and (2) he LITERALLY doesn't take a stride from when he is a foot or two above the circles to when Kopitar is well into his goal celebration.

It's not that he got beat. It's that he got beat that easily and didn't really put any sort of effort into recovering. If he continues to skate hard he can meet Kopitar at the net and try to at least tie his stick up because Kopitar HAS to slow and wait for the pass. Juolevi basically gave up on the play as soon as Kopitar was shoulder to shoulder with him in the neutral zone.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
It was a quick transition and he was caught flat footed and Kopitar was able to get a jump on him. That's not the part people are taking issue with. The part people are taking issue with is that he doesn't (1) engage Kopitar in any meaningful as Kopitar is going past him and (2) he LITERALLY doesn't take a stride from when he is a foot or two above the circles to when Kopitar is well into his goal celebration.

It's not that he got beat. It's that he got beat that easily and didn't really put any sort of effort into recovering. If he continues to skate hard he can meet Kopitar at the net and try to at least tie his stick up because Kopitar HAS to slow and wait for the pass. Juolevi basically gave up on the play as soon as Kopitar was shoulder to shoulder with him in the neutral zone.
I'm willing to 'look the other way' for the time being. He's a rookie. I'll only be concerned if this continues throughout the real season (with no noticeable improvement).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
He was also alot more physical (albeit with those defensive flaws) back then as well IMHO. That one Kings playoff series he was (doing my best McGuire impression...) "a Monster".
Not really. He took advantage of his size/strength with greater regularity in 14-15, IMO, albeit without the occasional big hits that he used to have.

He definitely had more game breaking talent in 2011, though. There were a few play-off games where he completely took over and was the best player on the ice (even outside of that one Kings game).

Reactions: Hit the post

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Edler was our most underrated/under-appreciated performer from that Stanley Cup run, IMO. His stand-out performance in key games orchestrated some of the pivotal turning points in a couple series (definitely in the Chicago series and almost did it in one of the Boston games as well, if I'm remembering correctly), but rarely gets credit for that. Usually it's Bieksa and Hamhuis who get mentioned most often.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Edler was our most underrated/under-appreciated performer from that Stanley Cup run, IMO. His stand-out performance in key games orchestrated some of the pivotal turning points in a couple series (definitely in the Chicago series and almost did it in one of the Boston games as well, if I'm remembering correctly), but rarely gets credit for that. Usually it's Bieksa and Hamhuis who get mentioned most often.
And that was with one (or two) mangled hands I recall (granted, pretty much everyone on the blueline outside of Salo was playing injured to some degree).

I think part of the underappreciation comes for the frequent occasions the Frankenstein pairing of Edler-Bieksa was used. Two otherwise fine top 4 D - but together? Blech.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Meh...
not nearly as bad as you guys are trying to pump:

Idk boss that was pretty bad. Kopitar isn't exactly blazing fast and he doesn't even try to attempt to tie him up, not to mention he was was completely oblivious to Kopitar's existence at the blue line.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I'm willing to 'look the other way' for the time being. He's a rookie. I'll only be concerned if this continues throughout the real season (with no noticeable improvement).

I'm willing to look the other way on rookie mistakes. There is little shame in a rookie getting beat by a guy like Kopitar on a quick transition play. If he was out muscled so be it. There IS shame in failing put forth any sort of effort. If it was a one off I'd be be more understanding but this has been a common problem with his game since he was drafted. It shouldn't be happening in that situation. "Oh crap I got beat and better bust my ass to try to make up for it" isn't something that typically needs to be taught to high echelon players. Not only has needed to be taught to this prospect but the lessons also aren't sinking in. He was careless and lazy on another shift on a break out where Kovalchuk caught him, stole the puck and went in on a good chance.

I hope somehow he realizes that effort is needed but it's hard not to have doubts.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
While I'm rolling my eyes at Literally's Juolevi comment, I'll defend his Edler comment somewhat.

You could feasibly argue that Edler hasn't necessarily lost a step since 14/15 (although it looks like he might this year), and that his drop in play can be attributed to the fact that he formed an absolutely dominant pairing with Tanev and played together the whole year in 14/15, and has been doing a pretty good job single-handedly baby-sitting defensive liabilities since. Combine that with the fact that Edler will always stops caring and look completely abysmal when the season gets out of reach, and you could very reasonably argue that his drop in play is misleading.

That said, I don't see anything that could lead one to believe that he's actually gotten BETTER since 14/15. That sounds like clear hyperbole.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
My probably with OJ is it looks like he's not even trying half the time. Like the dude puts no effort into rushing back on D or playing aggressively. I get playing safe and calm, but that is completely different than playing with zero intensity.

Even though I have no skills, if I had the shot OJ had I would be busting my ass every single second I could to earn that spot, it truly baffles me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad