Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
By this time next year we will be talking about Olli Juolevi being a top pairing guy for the next 15 years. When everyone sees what he can do on the ice they will come to their senses. I’m willing to put my credibility on the line with this player.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
By this time next year we will be talking about Olli Juolevi being a top pairing guy for the next 15 years. When everyone sees what he can do on the ice they will come to their senses. I’m willing to put my credibility on the line with this player.

TVZa.gif

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
JD Burke said Juolevi is a leet prospect.

/thread

How do you mean? The main contention about Juolevi, IMO, has been the comparison with Tkachuk. People have employed an array of mental gymnastics to try and subdue that criticism -- to no avail. They are still doing it. It hasn't gone away. To me, that has been the main debate.

Judging Juolevi's potential to make the NHL in isolation? Well, we haven't even delved into this. Even the ones critical of the pick still acknowledge, for the most part, Juolevi should make the NHL. The NHLe, pGPS and WAR/82 stats put forth by JD Burke, only confirm this. If he was saying that he expects Juolevi to catch and exceed Tkachuk, then his assertion would be attacked. He's not doing this.

JD Burke is just another resource. He's not the arbiter of all things Canucks. I think you are attempting to bait people by phrasing things in this way.

Last edited:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I wanted Tkachuk myself. I think it is very fair to say wait and see though.

Besides "JD Burke said so" is pretty definitive around here.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

No one source is definitive around here.

JD Burke gets more play because he has an analytical bend. He shows his homework as to why he thinks a certain way. That leaves a lot of reporters in the dust. It's a progressive way of analyzing the team. That said, he's been off plenty of times before.

I don't think it's fair to whitewash the Juolevi/Tkachuk comparison with "wait and see". This is ignoring everything in the interim. Tkachuk's progression has been phenomenal. That can’t be ignored. Further, it ignores expected results based upon precedent. Even if development is nonlinear, it is a mistake to think that the probability of Juolevi reaching the same height as Tkachuk is relatively even. It's just not. Even the most ardent Juolevi pick defenders have relented on that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tv9924

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

1. I'm a Burke fan and also a big proponent of analytics. But your subtle derision of JD isn't necessary. He has always maintained that OJ is a very good prospect. The caveat is that OJ was not the right pick at that slot, and in hindsight, those claims appear to be correct.

2. On the bolded, I think we're past wait and see. A player like Matthew Tkachuk is already a sure-thing top-line forward. Same with Clayton Keller (who was my preferred pick at the time). Even if most everyone agrees OJ is a very good prospect, he still trails in likelihood of success (as of course the players mentioned are already NHL contributors) as well as potential upside (again, the former two I mentioned are already top-line players with room for further growth). It would take an incredible burst of development for OJ to not only catch, but exceed the contributions made by the other two players mentioned, as well as provide more total value over the courses of their respective careers.

Two things can be true: OJ is still an excellent prospect, and also that he was the wrong selection for the Canucks at #5.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
The Canucks were telegraphing their interest in Dubois pretty hard before the draft in 16. Too bad we have that ridiculous lottery system that punishes teams for being bad and rewards the mediocre. The Canucks would have gone against the conventional wisdom and picked PLD over Puljujärvi, just as CBJ did. If only we lived in that alternate timeline..

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Why does anyone listen to what JD has to say? How did he suddenly gain credibility around here? He is arguable worse than Botchford

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Why does anyone listen to what JD has to say? How did he suddenly gain credibility around here? He is arguable worse than Botchford

I'd like to read the argument that supports "arguably."

Burke presents his evidence. If I don't like his analysis, it's laid out and I can disagree with it. That's a lot more than can be said about the poster or two attacking him.

Reactions: pomorick and Tv9924

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
My prediction - Juolevi will start the season in the AHL, but will finish the season with the Canucks. I feel like he's going to be a pleasant surprise this year.
I like it. I think he will be mainly praised if paired with Tanev to cover and mentor. If Tanev gets injured I feel he will be berated like Pouliot with a lesser partner. Will be money on the PP feeding Boeser though

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
makes me wonder why the TOP defensman in a draft, and the fans are happy if he turns in to a 2nd pairing guy.... With that logic, no other defensman in that draft should be a top pairing guy....where do top pairing defensmen come from then? 31 teams in the league, thats 62 Dmen on top pair....surely the very first Dman selected should be one , no?

Hate how we are content with OJ being a 2nd pairing guy and contect with JV being a 3rd liner.

These were 5 and 6 OVERALL PICKS!!

Have some higher standards.

We are talking about Juolevi as a player, and not a draft pick. The fact that he was picked top 5 is entirely irrelevant when discussing his development curve and reasonable projections.

99% of this board knows he was not the right selection and that kind of thing belongs in the management discussion thread.

Are you expecting Pouliot to become a top pairing defenceman just because he was picked high?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
makes me wonder why the TOP defensman in a draft, and the fans are happy if he turns in to a 2nd pairing guy.... With that logic, no other defensman in that draft should be a top pairing guy....where do top pairing defensmen come from then? 31 teams in the league, thats 62 Dmen on top pair....surely the very first Dman selected should be one , no?

Hate how we are content with OJ being a 2nd pairing guy and contect with JV being a 3rd liner.

These were 5 and 6 OVERALL PICKS!!

Have some higher standards.

I've been though enough drafts to not be unhappy if a player drafted ahead becomes better, this stuff happens, this is why in general some people might be happy if he becomes a top 4. Just because a player ahead becomes a better player it doesn't mean we will be unhappy with what another player drafted ahead became. Look at Ryan Sutter, he was the 7th pick in 2003, yet way more then a handful of guys became better then him, are those fans unhappy of how Sutter turned out? Absolutely not.

Another example Bergeron was drafted after Cory Perry, does this make Perry a bad pick? Like cmon. Your rant is really full of fail.

Now if Juolevi becomes a bottom pairing or a bust, then I will rage.

Now I will be honest with you, I expect Juolevi to be our top 2, like a Tanev Level dman but with more points. that's just me, btw.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I’m excited to see our defence in 2019-2020 with Hughes and Juolevi.

If we can somehow get Tryamkin back here and along with Woo and Stecher, we’ve quietly got a nice group of young dmen

Really hoping for a big year from OJ, we need him to pan out badly and the clock is ticking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad