Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Your comparisons are worthless. Barker sucked skating backwards and was slow to turn. Combined with him being a bit slow in processing the game, you can dump the puck in on him all day. Larsen was too weak to defend in the NHL.

I am almost certain that Brooks Orpik is a better Dman in the NHL than he would be in Europe. Means very little.

So are you saying that being a top pairing D in a non-NHL pro league means very little then?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't think the exact comparison was the point, I think it ends up being deflection to try and make it a big deal. I think what matters is success in one league doesn't mean success in the other because of ice size. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Melvin

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So are you saying that being a top pairing D in a non-NHL pro league means very little then?

When they are 26+ with previously poor showing in the NHL? Ya it means very little. You disagree?

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
JD Burke endorsed his projected corsi as top notch, so the discussion is closed.

It's like in the movie A Knights Tale when Prince Edward emerged to pardon Heath Ledger's character due to his newly found royal heritage. JD Burke's words, like Prince Edward's are "beyond contestation."

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Your comparisons are worthless. Barker sucked skating backwards and was slow to turn. Combined with him being a bit slow in processing the game, you can dump the puck in on him all day. Larsen was too weak to defend in the NHL.

I am almost certain that Brooks Orpik is a better Dman in the NHL than he would be in Europe. Means very little.

He wasn't making a comparison to those players. He was saying that, wait hold on:

"Being skilled enough to play top-pairing minutes in a lower league doesn't mean you project to be good defensively in the NHL."

Cam Barker and Phil Larsen are simply two demonstrations of this simple concept, not "comparables" for Juolevi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Man this thread can get toxic. :shakehead

Anything new on his development this summer??

Hes basically been straight chilling (Lots of time for games??? lol jk) from his back surgery and will continue to until like a week before training camp. Hes essentially lost the entire summer to train. Not only did he probably get weaker and less conditioned, but that lost time means he wont be able to improve from where he was. Hes most definitely starting in the AHL.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Man this thread can get toxic. :shakehead

Anything new on his development this summer??
Botchford’s column in the Sun today suggests the back surgery was fairly minor and he should be expected to take a run at a job. Salo says he has told him a number of times that he needs to come to camp in top shape.
We’ll see but with Hughes returning to college there’s a spot for him on a really weak blue line.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Botchford’s column in the Sun today suggests the back surgery was fairly minor and he should be expected to take a run at a job. Salo says he has told him a number of times that he needs to come to camp in top shape.
We’ll see but with Hughes returning to college there’s a spot for him on a really weak blue line.

The opportunity is there this preseason. If the same Hutton from last year shows up and Joulevi gets 4 or 5 assists while playing passable defense, he should be with the big club. Hutton's cap hit can be somewhat "weaponize" by waiving and retaining him for depth. He's paided too much for a replacement level player, hopefully there will be better or cheaper options on the wire for teams looking to add. It's a pretty big "if" but a possible scenario.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The opportunity is there this preseason. If the same Hutton from last year shows up and Joulevi gets 4 or 5 assists while playing passable defense, he should be with the big club. Hutton's cap hit can be somewhat "weaponize" by waiving and retaining him for depth. He's paided too much for a replacement level player, hopefully there will be better or cheaper options on the wire for teams looking to add. It's a pretty big "if" but a possible scenario.

Unfair expectations IMO. Juolevi's back surgery means he is rehabilitating instead of building. Utica or Liiga for next year are a pretty safe bet with him maybe getting some shorter stints.

He had a (micro)disectomy. This means removing a portion of a disc to relieve pressure on a nerve. Common postop recommendation is to limit bending, lifting, or twisting for six weeks. Thats a long immobile stretch for a pro athlete.

If we assume he makes a full recovery this could also be fantastic news. If he has been playing with a bulged disc that would actually make his season in Liiga that much more impressive, also it could count for his press box time.

Last edited:

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Unfair expectations IMO. Juolevi's back surgery means he is rehabilitating instead of building. Utica or Liiga for next year are a pretty safe bet with him maybe getting some shorter stints.

He had a (micro)disectomy. This means removing a portion of a disc to relieve pressure on a nerve. Common postop recommendation is to limit bending, lifting, or twisting for six weeks. Thats a long immobile stretch for a pro athlete.

If we assume he makes a full recovery this could also be fantastic news. If he has been playing with a bulged disc that would actually make his season in Liiga that much more impressive, also it could count for his press box time.

Yeah, I agree, it's not my expectation per se, just the best possible outcome.

Sounds like it could have been a nagging persistent injury and, as you said, might have affected him in Liiga. I've seen the recovery time at four to six in some articles. After six weeks it would be reasonable to say he had regular mobility and should be back training by now. It sounds like a pretty routine procedure with a high sucess rate so complications shouldn't be expected. It's not too late to make some gains over the coming five or six weeks before preseason.

Last edited:

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Yeah, I agree, it's not my expectation per se, just the best possible outcome for his development.

Sounds like it could have been a nagging persistent injury and, as you said, might have affected him in Liiga. I've seen the recovery time at four to six in some articles. After six weeks it would be reasonable to say he had regular mobility and should be back training by now. It's not too late to make some gains over the coming five or six weeks before preseason.
Hard to think about gains this offseason. After a bunch of weeks with little to no movement, what remains is rehab just to get back to where he was due to atrophy

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He wasn't making a comparison to those players. He was saying that, wait hold on:

"Being skilled enough to play top-pairing minutes in a lower league doesn't mean you project to be good defensively in the NHL."

Cam Barker and Phil Larsen are simply two demonstrations of this simple concept, not "comparables" for Juolevi.

Then why bring up those names at all? I can do the same thing. Being an AHL all star Dman and leading all AHL Dmen in goals and points doesn't mean you project to be an NHL Dman. I am going to name Jacob MacDonald and someone is going to explain to others that I am not using Jacob MacDonald as an example but merely demonstrating this simple concept.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yeah, I agree, it's not my expectation per se, just the best possible outcome.

Sounds like it could have been a nagging persistent injury and, as you said, might have affected him in Liiga. I've seen the recovery time at four to six in some articles. After six weeks it would be reasonable to say he had regular mobility and should be back training by now. It sounds like a pretty routine procedure with a high sucess rate so complications shouldn't be expected. It's not too late to make some gains over the coming five or six weeks before preseason.

He will be rehabbing his back and getting back to where he was before he got the operation and had to spend 6 weeks doing not much at all.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I don't think the exact comparison was the point, I think it ends up being deflection to try and make it a big deal. I think what matters is success in one league doesn't mean success in the other because of ice size. Just my 2 cents.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Really interested in watching Juolevi's progression this year. It was unfortunate that he had the back injury but hopefully that will only slow his start to the season and not hinder development for the year overall.
He probably should start in Utica unless he has a huge training camp (unlikely with the back injury). It will then be up to each of Hutton and Pouliot to show they can be regulars in the line-up or be replaced by Juolevi.
I don't see Pouliot being more than a bottom pairing guy at best. But I have a feeling Hutton will take the off season challenge and show he is closer to the rookie Hutton than the 3rd year Hutton. A dream scenario is if both Juolevi and Hutton can show they are legit NHL D-men with the potential to be fixtures in a D-group that is more than bottom tier in the league.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
He will be rehabbing his back and getting back to where he was before he got the operation and had to spend 6 weeks doing not much at all.

I'm clearly not an doctor nor have I had surgery before. lol I took the reports of a four to six week recovery to mean far enough along in his physiotherapy to resume regular training; The Canucks are certainly pushing that narrative. From reading more about the postoperative process, six weeks is the stage where the average person could go back to an office or retail job.

The timeline for a full recovery isn't very well defined. As this case study points out, there's no standard protocol for rehab between clinics although the most positive cases tend to start early around four weeks. Different microdiscectomy rehab guidelines were published by three hospitals for Britain's NHS that have varied milestones:

RNOHOxfordBerkshire
Return to work (light/sedentary)4 weeks4-6 weeks6-8 weeks
Return to work (manual labour)3 months8-12 weeks3-6 months
End of 20lbs lifting restriction 12 weeks4-6 weeks6 weeks
Return to light sports (jogging, cycling, light tennis)N/A10 weeks3 months
Return to strenuous sport (contact, running, heavy lifting)3-4 monthsN/A6 months
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Somewhere between 3-6 months to be back in contact practices? You're absolutely right, it's a lost summer of development for Olli... Hopefully they don't rush him back and re-aggravate the injury.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
JD Burke endorsed his projected corsi as top notch, so the discussion is closed.

It's like in the movie A Knights Tale when Prince Edward emerged to pardon Heath Ledger's character due to his newly found royal heritage. JD Burke's words, like Prince Edward's are "beyond contestation."

JD Burke said the canucks recent moves have set the team back 4-5 years...

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
makes me wonder why the TOP defensman in a draft, and the fans are happy if he turns in to a 2nd pairing guy.... With that logic, no other defensman in that draft should be a top pairing guy....where do top pairing defensmen come from then? 31 teams in the league, thats 62 Dmen on top pair....surely the very first Dman selected should be one , no?

Hate how we are content with OJ being a 2nd pairing guy and contect with JV being a 3rd liner.

These were 5 and 6 OVERALL PICKS!!

Have some higher standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->