Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi II

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Lindholm is really good at playing defense.

Juolevi is - to this point - bad at playing defense.

"bad"? really? whatever he is, the last time we saw him he was playing top pair defence in the playoffs for a professional team at age 19. how is that bad?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This guy has benefited from "out of sight, out of mind." This year we'll see where he actually is in terms of development. He's already trending poorly given his draft position and the fact he hasn't even sniffed the NHL at 20 years old. I wouldn't be nearly as critical if he was a second round, or even late first round, draft pick.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"bad"? really? whatever he is, the last time we saw him he was playing top pair defence in the playoffs for a professional team at age 19. how is that bad?

I freely admit I saw little of him in Finland this year. In London, it was bad. At the WJCs this year, the same habits were still there.

Being skilled enough to play top-pairing minutes in a lower league doesn't mean you project to be good defensively in the NHL. Cam Barker and Philip Larsen are top-pairing guys in a better league than what Juolevi was in, and they're complete garbage defensively.

Reactions: Caspian

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Being skilled enough to play top-pairing minutes in a lower league doesn't mean you project to be good defensively in the NHL.

when you do it at age 19 and you play a 2 way game, it does in fact increase the likelihood you project to be good defensively in the nhl.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Lindholm is a top 10 defenseman in the league. If Juolevi turned into him I'd be over the moon and you'd probably have to consider picking him in the top 3 in a 2016 re-draft. But Lindholm is an elite at shot suppression and I don't think Juolevi has the ability be that good defensively.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
when you do it at age 19 and you play a 2 way game, it does in fact increase the likelihood you project to be good defensively in the nhl.

Based on what I've seen Juolevi has the IQ to be a solid defensive player if he can ever find a set of balls and engage physically, and that IQ gets him by satisfactorally at lower levels but his unwillingness to put his body between the opposition and the play will see him exposed badly at this level if he doesn't make major adjustments.

And any comparison to Lindholm is ludicrous.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Based on what I've seen Juolevi has the IQ to be a solid defensive player if he can ever find a set of balls and engage physically, and that IQ gets him by satisfactorally at lower levels but his unwillingness to put his body between the opposition and the play will see him exposed badly at this level if he doesn't make major adjustments.

And any comparison to Lindholm is ludicrous.

i didn't compare him to lindholm. i just queried your position he was "bad" at defence.

if we are going to make wildass wish fulfillment comparisons i will stick with lidstrom. may as well aim high.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
So the highest defensman in the draft shouldn’t be a top pairing guy? With your logic , then there would be no top pairing defensman in the NHL. If the top selected D shouldn’t be a top pairing guy, who should??

disagreed. If he becomes a solid top 4 for us its still a solid pick, like a Lindholm level dman 25 points is a good pick. If he plays 0 nhl games ok then we riot together, I promise.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
So the highest defensman in the draft shouldn’t be a top pairing guy? With your logic , then there would be no top pairing defensman in the NHL. If the top selected D shouldn’t be a top pairing guy, who should??

I'm saying I won't lose it like you if he doesn't become a top pairing dman.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
This guy has benefited from "out of sight, out of mind." This year we'll see where he actually is in terms of development. He's already trending poorly given his draft position and the fact he hasn't even sniffed the NHL at 20 years old. I wouldn't be nearly as critical if he was a second round, or even late first round, draft pick.

In Juolevi’s defense, had he played in North America this year there’s a very good chance he would have been with the big club towards the end of the season. Because he played in Europe that wasn’t an option.

I may be generalizing a bit, but I think it’s a pretty fair assumption that Benning would have wanted him to be force fed minutes in the pointless games down the stretch.

Hence, I don’t know that we can assume that he’s trending downward just because we haven’t seen him in the NHL yet. But I agree, this year is judgement time.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Well that’s a different argument entirely. You’re reaction vs mine to different things .... is irrelevant. That said, top D man in a draft needs to be a top pairing guy. Plain and simple.

I'm saying I won't lose it like you if he doesn't become a top pairing dman.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
In Juolevi’s defense, wasn’t he one of the youngest guys in his draft class?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yep thats right

May 5 birthday. Draft cut off is Sept 15. Pretty average age. Sergachev, Dubois, Keller, Bean, Bellows, Fabbro are younger, lots of guys 1-2 months older (Laine, Nylander, Jost, Puljujarvi). Definitely not “one of the youngest” in any sort of meaningful way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Club

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
May 5 birthday. Draft cut off is Sept 15. Pretty average age. Sergachev, Dubois, Keller, Bean, Bellows, Fabbro are younger, lots of guys 1-2 months older (Laine, Nylander, Jost, Puljujarvi). Definitely not “one of the youngest” in any sort of meaningful way.
Any excuse is a “good” excuse for the Lindenning fans (as opposed to Canuck fans).

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Well that’s a different argument entirely. You’re reaction vs mine to different things .... is irrelevant. That said, top D man in a draft needs to be a top pairing guy. Plain and simple.

Oh man, I am so tired if reading this shit...

Why does some random poster named Johnny Canucker get to decide what is relevant? In this case, on this topic, I find it is relevant to me that while I read two posters exchange views on a player, one expresses his perspective, so you know what, that makes it relevant. You choose to suggest something someone says is irrelevant to YOU, but that most certainly does not define something as irrelevant.

As a parallel, I find your post, and others from you, rather condescending (my opinion- therefore, I respond to it this time). Unfortunately, mine is only one voice, one opinion, so my perspective does not define each of your posts as condescending, it just simply shares with you my perspective that the tone of them bothers me.

As an aside, one thing I do agree with you about, he may have introduced a different argument or an additional one than he was making earlier. Oh well, this would be his right, to represent his argument. It may be that he continues to hold onto his belief that it hurts to think negatively about everything, and he chooses to look at the positive possibility of Juolevi becoming a top 4 defensemen- which this team clearly needs!

Now to Juolevi.... At this point, I would be very very happy if he became a top 4, play in all situations, useful D for this team for many years to come. I would be a little disappointed that the hope for the upside of a pick this high did not reach its ceiling and become a game changer, but I would also be very happy that we got a really useful player out of the pick rather than a Michael Dal Cole type (or the dozens of other players at this approx draft position that didn't become as useful). I still have doubt that OJ becomes this, but I have hope. Hope is a really good thing for me in my life. I even hope you can find some in yours:)

brownbello

May 6, 2009
Powell River
Oh man, I am so tired if reading this ****...

Why does some random poster named Johnny Canucker get to decide what is relevant? In this case, on this topic, I find it is relevant to me that while I read two posters exchange views on a player, one expresses his perspective, so you know what, that makes it relevant. You choose to suggest something someone says is irrelevant to YOU, but that most cer:)tainly does not define something as irrelevant.

I wish there was a hand clap button. Great post! :thumbu:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
You’re probably new around here. That’s just the way it is.

Oh man, I am so tired if reading this ****...

Why does some random poster named Johnny Canucker get to decide what is relevant? In this case, on this topic, I find it is relevant to me that while I read two posters exchange views on a player, one expresses his perspective, so you know what, that makes it relevant. You choose to suggest something someone says is irrelevant to YOU, but that most certainly does not define something as irrelevant.

As a parallel, I find your post, and others from you, rather condescending (my opinion- therefore, I respond to it this time). Unfortunately, mine is only one voice, one opinion, so my perspective does not define each of your posts as condescending, it just simply shares with you my perspective that the tone of them bothers me.

As an aside, one thing I do agree with you about, he may have introduced a different argument or an additional one than he was making earlier. Oh well, this would be his right, to represent his argument. It may be that he continues to hold onto his belief that it hurts to think negatively about everything, and he chooses to look at the positive possibility of Juolevi becoming a top 4 defensemen- which this team clearly needs!

Now to Juolevi.... At this point, I would be very very happy if he became a top 4, play in all situations, useful D for this team for many years to come. I would be a little disappointed that the hope for the upside of a pick this high did not reach its ceiling and become a game changer, but I would also be very happy that we got a really useful player out of the pick rather than a Michael Dal Cole type (or the dozens of other players at this approx draft position that didn't become as useful). I still have doubt that OJ becomes this, but I have hope. Hope is a really good thing for me in my life. I even hope you can find some in yours:)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I freely admit I saw little of him in Finland this year. In London, it was bad. At the WJCs this year, the same habits were still there.

Being skilled enough to play top-pairing minutes in a lower league doesn't mean you project to be good defensively in the NHL. Cam Barker and Philip Larsen are top-pairing guys in a better league than what Juolevi was in, and they're complete garbage defensively.

Your comparisons are worthless. Barker sucked skating backwards and was slow to turn. Combined with him being a bit slow in processing the game, you can dump the puck in on him all day. Larsen was too weak to defend in the NHL.

I am almost certain that Brooks Orpik is a better Dman in the NHL than he would be in Europe. Means very little.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Your comparisons are worthless. Barker sucked skating backwards and was slow to turn. Combined with him being a bit slow in processing the game, you can dump the puck in on him all day. Larsen was too weak to defend in the NHL.

I am almost certain that Brooks Orpik is a better Dman in the NHL than he would be in Europe. Means very little.
I just love how any negative info is worthless but you drool over even the slightest good news.

Reactions: Melvin and Morenz

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Who would be a better comparison then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad