#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Fisher's not going to the wing.

Neal - Fisher - Wilson
Forsberg - Järnkrok - Smith
Stålberg - Jokinen - Cullen
Nystrom - Gaustad - Bourque
Clune

Better? No combination I've come up with looks right. Wilson and Fisher don't really fits Neal's game, plus I'd rather have Wilson at center. The second line could work... maybe. The third line had a lot of speed but not much finish. The fourth line is the fourth line. Good luck Lavy.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I think i will defer to Lavi on this one. Sounds like he knows a lot more than us HFers.
Sure is nice to see Poile not sign a 40 point guy to a 5,000,000 contract like others teams did the past few days.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I have a feeling our lines are going to look like

Neal-Fisher-Cullen
Stalberg-Jarnkrok-Smith
Jokinen-Wilson- Borque
Nystrom-Gaustad-Clune

I think Cullen will be on the first line mostly because he really started to succeed last year when paired with someone who's job is to simply put the puck in the back of the net with smith and until we get a setupman or a better center I see him as the final complimentary player for that line. I suspect Lavi will want to give stalberg a chance on the 2nd line to prove himself and use his speed to create opportunities for Jarnkrok/Smith.
I don't see Jokinen displacing Jarnkrok playing at center when Wilson looked much better to end the year at center than he did at wing. I think if Jokinen is at center to start the season it's a bad sign for the development of whoever he displaces.

I'm also not entirely sure forsberg makes the team immediately out of camp. Word out of milwaukee was he was starting to pick up steam in the AHL and play a more complete game towards the end of the season so my guess is he'll probably simmer a bit in the AHL and will be one of the first call ups should we see injuries to our top 6. Laviolette could absolutely love his game though and I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him stick with the team.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I have a feeling our lines are going to look like

Neal-Fisher-Cullen
Stalberg-Jarnkrok-Smith
Jokinen-Wilson- Borque
Nystrom-Gaustad-Clune

I think Cullen will be on the first line mostly because he really started to succeed last year when paired with someone who's job is to simply put the puck in the back of the net with smith and until we get a setupman or a better center I see him as the final complimentary player for that line. I suspect Lavi will want to give stalberg a chance on the 2nd line to prove himself and use his speed to create opportunities for Jarnkrok/Smith.
I don't see Jokinen displacing Jarnkrok playing at center when Wilson looked much better to end the year at center than he did at wing. I think if Jokinen is at center to start the season it's a bad sign for the development of whoever he displaces.

I'm also not entirely sure forsberg makes the team immediately out of camp. Word out of milwaukee was he was starting to pick up steam in the AHL and play a more complete game towards the end of the season so my guess is he'll probably simmer a bit in the AHL and will be one of the first call ups should we see injuries to our top 6. Laviolette could absolutely love his game though and I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see him stick with the team.

If Forsberg makes the team, what wing does he play?

I'd put him on the opposite side of Neal at training camp then work him down the top 9 forwards to see if anything sticks. I like that move because he can play LW and RW. If nothing works put him in Milwaukee to be the star.

Neal - Wilson - Forsberg
Jokinen - Jarnkrok - Smith
Cullen - Fisher - Stalberg
Nystrom - Gaustad - Bourque/Sissons/Beck

My reasoning with FF and Neal, is Forsberg loves to make a play and has the most skill on the team besides Wilson to do it. He could break out as far as we know and be the playmaking Winger we need, not getting my hopes up. I absolutely think Wilson + Neal needs to be together through thick and thin. I can see them complementing each other very well. Another thing to add, I really hope Smith and Neal don't play on the same line, too much of the same thing.

You never know though!

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Id kinda like Eichel better than McDavid anyways, must be the American in him.

From everything I've heard and seen, I think Eichel is the 2nd best prospect in a long time. Sucks he's in the same year as the best.

Also, I like how the Jokinen thread is now Eichel vs. McDavid.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
We have too many NHL level forwards,
1. Neal
2. Smith
3. Wilson
4. Forsberg
5. Jarnkrok
6. Jokinen
7. Cullen
8. Fisher
9. Stalberg
10. Watson
11. Beck
12. Nystrom
13. Gaustad
14. Clune
15. Bourque
16. Sissons

Did I miss anyone?

Something has to give.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
From everything I've heard and seen, I think Eichel is the 2nd best prospect in a long time. Sucks he's in the same year as the best.

Also, I like how the Jokinen thread is now Eichel vs. McDavid.

I was just adding to discussion, no way we finish top 2 or even top 7. Too much talent for that, but not enough for the playoffs :shakehead

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
1. Neal
2. Smith
3. Wilson
4. Forsberg
5. Jarnkrok
6. Jokinen
7. Cullen
8. Fisher
9. Stalberg
10. Watson
11. Beck
12. Nystrom
13. Gaustad
14. Clune
15. Bourque
16. Sissons

Did I miss anyone?

Something has to give.

The thing is though, we can't package anyone besides the top 5 for a real #1 center. Everyone knows they are staying put, so we are, yet again, stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Going to be a very interesting year.

Edit: The way Salomaki played you may throw him in the list, he could definitely play on Buffalo or someone like that, he will be a call up for sure this year.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Just a thought, anyone think there is anyway we could snag Brayden Schenn as a throw in to take VLC's contract in full? Obviously we would need a significant piece like Wilson ++ going the other way.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
1. Neal
2. Smith
3. Wilson
4. Forsberg
5. Jarnkrok
6. Jokinen
7. Cullen
8. Fisher
9. Stalberg
10. Watson
11. Beck
12. Nystrom
13. Gaustad
14. Clune
15. Bourque
16. Sissons

Did I miss anyone?

Something has to give.

The five bolded are guys who could be AHLers or scratches (Clune) to start the year at least. If 3 of the other 4 (Forsberg, Watson, Beck, Sissons) start down and Clune is scratched as the 13th guy, assuming no pre-season injuries, we're at 12. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it's how it would work.

We have IMO 11 locks for our roster (the non bolded above, plus I guess Clune). The last spot until injuries happen (or two if you want Bourque/Nystrom scratched occasionally) will be a battle between Forsberg (great potential, didn't have a good year last year), Beck (I want him up), Watson, Sissons, Salomaki, Leipsic, and Moser. This is all assuming we make no more changes, which I doubt.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
The five bolded are guys who could be AHLers or scratches (Clune) to start the year at least. If 3 of the other 4 (Forsberg, Watson, Beck, Sissons) start down and Clune is scratched as the 13th guy, assuming no pre-season injuries, we're at 12. I'm not saying it's ideal, but it's how it would work.

We have IMO 11 locks for our roster (the non bolded above, plus I guess Clune). The last spot until injuries happen (or two if you want Bourque/Nystrom scratched occasionally) will be a battle between Forsberg (great potential, didn't have a good year last year), Beck (I want him up), Watson, Sissons, Salomaki, Leipsic, and Moser. This is all assuming we make no more changes, which I doubt.

I would do a lot of things to give Beck a roster spot, he's been in milwaukee forever. I wish we could get rid of Bourque and Cullen, maybe Stalberg. Too much fat, if you will.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I would do a lot of things to give Beck a roster spot, he's been in milwaukee forever. I wish we could get rid of Bourque and Cullen, maybe Stalberg. Too much fat, if you will.

Because of Cullen's history with Lav, I'd like him to stay for now. Stalberg can be shipped out as far as I'm concerned.

Beck looked great in his limited time with the big club awhile back. He is ready.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
1. Neal
2. Smith
3. Wilson
4. Forsberg
5. Jarnkrok
6. Jokinen(contract up in one year)
7. Cullen(Contract up in one year)
8. Fisher(contract up in one year)
9. Stalberg
10. Watson(debatable, has yet to show more than 3rd liner upside really, though in Lavi's system who knows if he turns it around)
11. Beck(as he stands after being called up last season he seems to be in the same position as watson, didn't play well and took a lot of dumb penalties)
12. Nystrom
13. Gaustad
14. Clune
15. Bourque
16. Sissons(Could probably use 1 last year in the AHL)

I don't really see much of anything giving right now. I think we're still clinging to semi-delusional hopes that beck and watson are more than 3rd/4th line grinders (again, lavi could change this, but I'd say the future doesn't look too good for them). We'll see the youth really start to come into the roster after next season as Fisher looks to retire and we probably don't resign Cullen or Jokinen unless Cullen signs cheap and really lights it up.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Because of Cullen's history with Lav, I'd like him to stay for now. Stalberg can be shipped out as far as I'm concerned.

Beck looked great in his limited time with the big club awhile back. He is ready.

Agreed on Beck, love his shot, size, and speed. I feel he is too inconsistent right now though, and that is what is keeping him from making the jump.

I can see him being a 30+ 3rd line RW Power forward for us, he has what it ties. Just needs to put it together

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

I believe that Beck would have to be waived to be sent to Milwaukee this year and if that's the case I do believe he's gone. I'm not sure if Poile would risk losing him for nothing. He may be trade bait.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I believe that Beck would have to be waived to be sent to Milwaukee this year and if that's the case I do believe he's gone. I'm not sure if Poile would risk losing him for nothing. He may be trade bait.

Beck needs a big camp or he'll be waived IMO. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be picked up either. It's usually pretty easy to slip guys through waivers just before rosters are submitted.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Beck needs a big camp or he'll be waived IMO. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be picked up either. It's usually pretty easy to slip guys through waivers just before rosters are submitted.

I thought he was on a two way contract? Well he's a RFA right now, but why are you guys saying he will be waived?

Hockeyfever

Jan 5, 2012
In terms of the young guys not sure what exactly to think. Jarnkrok wasn't all that hot until he got traded to the Preds/Ads. Forsberg I watched a lot this year and think he still needs some AHL time. I haven't quite figured out Beck yet either but does lose the puck a lot. Sissons played well and I think Salomaki is a bit underrated. Now Watson played both years so far in Milwaukee on the third line and not consistent power play time and scored 20 0r more goals each year. I think if he was given more opportunity he would surprise some people here. Was also the only player to score a hat trick on the Ads this year and it was a natural hat trick also. Would like to see him get a real shot. Speaking of shots he also led the Ads in SOG.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
In terms of the young guys not sure what exactly to think. Jarnkrok wasn't all that hot until he got traded to the Preds/Ads. Forsberg I watched a lot this year and think he still needs some AHL time. I haven't quite figured out Beck yet either but does lose the puck a lot. Sissons played well and I think Salomaki is a bit underrated. Now Watson played both years so far in Milwaukee on the third line and not consistent power play time and scored 20 0r more goals each year. I think if he was given more opportunity he would surprise some people here. Was also the only player to score a hat trick on the Ads this year and it was a natural hat trick also. Would like to see him get a real shot. Speaking of shots he also led the Ads in SOG.

Sounds pretty typical, a lot of guys who could have potential but aren't there. Maybe Lavy can change a little bit of that with Beck/Forsberg/Jarnkrok.

Maybe a change in coaches in the AHL, I have no idea how every feels about Evason just a thought

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I feel like Watson will get a full time job as Gaustad's replacement whenever he leaves. I never thought he had a lot of offensive potential, but I'd love to be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad