Confirmed with Link: Olli Jokinen 1yr 2.5M

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
It's not that Jokinen is a bad signing, or that I don't expect him to score 18-22 goals, it's just that this can't be considered "the fix." At the draft, Poile was bullish in his "we need a top center." In the days following, he toned it down to "we would like a top center, but if we can't get one, we like our youth," then signing Jokinen and saying "We see him on the wing, but who knows, maybe he's a center."

It reminds me a bit of when Ryan Suter left and a very green Roman Josi was a question mark. Initially the plan was "We have a plan B, we need a top 4 defenseman until Roman is ready," and then, without a game being played, "Roman is ready to play with Shea."

In hindsight, that worked out eventually...but not before the worst season the team has experienced in over 10 years.

I don't know if the solution is a trade for VL, a stop-gap signing of Derek Roy\Mike Ribeiro...or something else...but I think we're not taking advantage of an asset like James Neal with one of Colin Wilson\Jarnkrok\Fisher\Jokinen as the number one center.

The big knock on Wilson is he doesn't produce. I can't tell you how many times over the last few years he makes a pass that great players make only to find our guy burying the puck right into the goalies chest. If Wilson has a guy that can finish, his production will go up. Is he a Malkin or Crosby, no but who else in this league is? No one. If Neal gets the puck in his wheelhouse he will bury it. Wilson is a guy who can get it there. They also have size in their favor and it sure looks like Wilson has the willingness to bang out there since he made the switch to center.

Jarnkrok will be fine if he's with Smith. They had chemistry in the games that Jarnkrok was here and I suspect that will get better in time. Sometimes you don't have to have the best players on the ice but the ones that work well together with one another. I think this is one of those cases.

I'd rather have Wilson and Jarnkrok as my top 2 centers than any of the guys you listed above. VLC might be a fit but I don't see him as a long term answer. Roy is done. Ribiero is a head case. Let Lavi do his thing with the young talent and if it's not working out, address the situation. I think the pieces are there, I just think they need a tune up and fresh start in some cases.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Glenn you may be ok with Wilson and Jarnkrok as the top two centers but history does not agree with you. Jarnkrok's body of work is too limited for a NHL coach to take that chance the same really can be said about Wilson as well. If all reports are accurate that the ownership states they want to be in the playoffs this year. I see no way Wilson or Jarnkrok get 1 and 2 C time for any extended periods. Unless there is another move its a pretty good bet that Fish and joke will have those positions. Poiles job is on the line, and moreover his reputation I just do not see him buying off on Wilson and Hook with everything on the line.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Glenn you may be ok with Wilson and Jarnkrok as the top two centers but history does not agree with you. Jarnkrok's body of work is too limited for a NHL coach to take that chance the same really can be said about Wilson as well. If all reports are accurate that the ownership states they want to be in the playoffs this year. I see no way Wilson or Jarnkrok get 1 and 2 C time for any extended periods. Unless there is another move its a pretty good bet that Fish and joke will have those positions. Poiles job is on the line, and moreover his reputation I just do not see him buying off on Wilson and Hook with everything on the line.

Problem is if Fish and Joke are the top 2 centers this year we won't be making the playoffs either. I'd rather take my chances on the youth and the future than to spend it on two guys who won't be here after this coming season.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

That's the fun part of being GM, sometimes your livelihood is in the hands of some really young guys. I guess the question for Poile is, do you put it in the hands of some young guys with something to prove, or do you put it in the hands of a guy who has seen his better days but might get you that one great season that's still in his tank? The other option is you make a major trade and risk losing some of the very same pieces you still need in a different position.

I don't think I like my odds in any of those situations, but that is what GM's are expected to do at some point. This year just happens to be the year it happens to Poile.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think we're worrying about a distinction that probably isn't significant in the long-term. Chances are that the two centers who we start in the top 6 won't be the same exact ones that fill those roles by the end of the season. Starting with Fisher/Jokinen might be more logical based on past performance, but if Wilson or Jarnkrok prove more adept in the role, I have no doubt that Laviolette will mix things up. I'd still like to see Poile work a trade though, even if its for Lecavalier.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I don't care about Wilson producing goals. I want him to playmake. I want him to feed Neal and whoever else is on the line. Wilson-Fisher-Neal?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't care about Wilson producing goals. I want him to playmake. I want him to feed Neal and whoever else is on the line. Wilson-Fisher-Neal?

If he's going to be a legit top 6 guy for us, he needs to do both. Something like 17g 25a at the least this season. If he's really the playmaker people keep saying he is, and he plays will Neal for any significant time, that needs to be more like 17/30.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Wilson is one of those guys we have argued back and forth about for a long about either not fitting in with Trotz or not having the players to finish what he creates. At the same time he is reaching the point where he either needs to **** or get off the pot. For me it would be pretty simple, I sit down and talk to him before he even hits the ice and let him know, you are gonna get your chance, and you are finally going to have a guy that can handle what you give him. Stop trying to be perfect, stop trying to prove yourself, get your butt out there and play hockey like you were built to do.

I think fare too often the players and this team has suffered from being to scared to fail. We've tried to protect them, we've tried to bring them up slow but damn it, at some point you either get it done or go home. For the GM and many of the players I think they have reached that point.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Last year was going to be a down year for Wilson. Both shoulders operated on, missed a lot of off season and preseason activities, and a mid season shift in positions. Also, it isn't as if the Predators are loaded with any forward talent.

That said, Wilson really struggled last year. I expect improvement, but I don't know how far the pendulum will swing.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Last year was going to be a down year for Wilson. Both surgeries operated on, missed a lot of off season and preseason activities, and a mid season shift in positions. .

I hate having both of my surgeries operated on...

I'm just messing with you Enoch, I'm the last person to talk about typos.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad