Olivier Roy's playoffs woes

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Well, I guess we differ on the fact you can find a more promising NHL prospect to take his contract. I think there are more ready AHL goalies and more promising AHL starters out there, perhaps playing in college or Europe, but I just don't see any of them being NHL quality or better upgrades to JDD or Gerber.
I guess perhaps it's just my philosophy that I don't want to be the idiot to give up on a 20 year old kid, only to have him turn out to be a good NHLer. If we are having this conversation when he is 25 years old, it makes sense.

If you are RIGHT, and there is a clear upgrade in college or Europe, then I would agree to making that type of swap, but until then might as well see what he can do in the minors.
Thing is goalies are a dime a dozen in the nhl. I just don't see it in this guy that makes it worth giving him a contract. I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
Well, I think he'll get a contract. Because think of it this way:
Next season the Oilers will have only TWO goalies in the entire organization signed, that being: Dubnyk (who isn't great), and Khabibulin (who's old, and not great either).
Those two will be taking up the two NHL spots.
Gerber and Deslauriers are both UFA's likely they walk.
Pitton is an RFA, he might get a contract, he might not.
So if we don't sign O. Roy there's basically noone to tend the farms in Stockton and Oklahoma.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Right but MAF had a few things going for him. Size and athleticism being the biggest two. Roy just strikes me as a guy thats not particularly big or athletic. I suppose we don't have a ton to lose by signing him but I don't really think he's that good a prospect and I think theres a lot better ones out there that we don't need to use up a contract on him. I would not be surpised to see him signed however despite the fact that I don't think it's particularly wise.

Not athletic? Have you SEEN him play? His problem is mainly puck control/rebound control and playing small. He has the best legs of any goaltender that's ever played in Bathurst, including Roberto Luongo. His reflexes are very close as well.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Not getting better for Roy...

He was just pulled 3 minutes into game 3 after allowing 2 goals on 4 shots. At this point, I can't imagine he will be put back on the ice at any point in these playoffs, even if Bathurst manages a comeback.

What an awful way to finish the year (and possibly his junior career).

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I wonder if he needs to see a sports psychologist or something. Wasn't he voted the toughest goalie to score against in the QMJHL in a player poll? It seems like he falls apart in the big games. You'd think a guy that has been a starter since he was 16 would be mentally stronger.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
I wonder if he needs to see a sports psychologist or something. Wasn't he voted the toughest goalie to score against in the QMJHL in a player poll? It seems like he falls apart in the big games. You'd think a guy that has been a starter since he was 16 would be mentally stronger.
A goalie with confidence issues, not a great combo to say the least.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
OBR has not really progressed since he was 16 and this year it's sort of caught up to him at the WJHC, to some extent during the Q season and especially during the Q playoffs. He always had technical issues especially considering his size but now he struggles just to stop average shots.

Basically he plays like Gustavsson for the Leafs, but Gustavsson has a bit more success(though he's had his share of issues), in that he plays a very low butterfly and tends to drop early on shots meaning he is great on low shots but very vulnerable on high ones(especially being barely 5'11") and makes it hard to control rebounds or be ready for a 2nd shot. I'm surprised Edmonton did not try and change him into a more hybrid Brodeur/Theodore style game where he would play bigger and not go down all the time.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Signed today...
What a stupid decision by Edmonton to announce today.

Roy was entering into a 0-3 game after being pulled in the first three matches and now he has that in his mind. This might come out wrong, but after reading that before the game, I've got to say I'm not surprised that Bathurst lost that game and thus the series. Granted the Titan went with Steeves in the deciding game, but man, that's a head shaker.

The press release can't wait for a couple of days? Seriously?

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Signed today, just to make you look bad I think. Like I said many times above, his struggles will never lead them to not even give a 20 year old kid a chance to turn pro and at least evaluate where he is in his career.

Go read my first post. I didn't say he wouldn't be signed, I just asked a question.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Signed today...
What a stupid decision by Edmonton to announce today.

Roy was entering into a 0-3 game after being pulled in the first three matches and now he has that in his mind. This might come out wrong, but after reading that before the game, I've got to say I'm not surprised that Bathurst lost that game and thus the series.

The press release can't wait for a couple of days? Seriously?

Roy was enjoying his new contract from the bench watching a 17 yo getting the start tonight... And he played better than Roy did during the whole series.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Roy was enjoying his new contract from the bench watching a 17 yo getting the start tonight... And he played better than Roy did during the whole series.

Nah, I know that and so I went back and edited my post to make that clear.

In any case, I'm not a fan of announcing signings like that during the playoffs, at least not in the middle of a series, especially not at such a must-win situation like Bathurst was facing. Doesn't send the right message to the player or the team.

I can appreciate that the Edmonton Oilers don't care a lick about the Acadie-Bathurst Titan and the QMJHL playoffs, but still, it's just poor timing. Like I said, as soon as I heard about that signing, I knew Bathurst would lose tonight. Hell, Edmonton has another prospect with the Titan in Blain, who hasn't seen a lot of ice this year due to injury. I guess I just figured they'd think of these things a little.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Nah, I know that and so I went back and edited my post to make that clear.

In any case, I'm not a fan of announcing signings like that during the playoffs, at least not in the middle of a series, especially not at such a must-win situation like Bathurst was facing. Doesn't send the right message to the player or the team.

I can appreciate that the Edmonton Oilers don't care a lick about the Acadie-Bathurst Titan and the QMJHL playoffs, but still, it's just poor timing. Like I said, as soon as I heard about that signing, I knew Bathurst would lose tonight. Hell, Edmonton has another prospect with the Titan in Blain, who hasn't seen a lot of ice this year due to injury. I guess I just figured they'd think of these things a little.
How does the timing affect Blain at all? Or the rest of the Titan for that matter?

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
How does the timing affect Blain at all? Or the rest of the Titan for that matter?

You're on a 6th seed team playing an 11th seed team. 17 points separated you at the end of the regular season, but for some poor luck of the draw, you're facing elimination in just the fourth game of what was supposed to be a seven game series.

You look across the dressing room at your star goalie who was supposed to be the guy to lead you on a long playoff run. The kid who was supposed to be the go-to guy between the pipes. The kid who your opposition has chased from the crease in each of the last three games and at this point you've pretty much lost faith in him.

Your season could be over when this game is finished, maybe your hockey career is done too, but this kid just signed a pro contract that assures him not just playing time but a pay cheque for the next three years. Where's his head at? Actually, forget that, let's just ask what has he done for you and your teammates on the Titan to deserve that contract? The coach says he doesn't get the start because he's been that bad for the first three games, but in the same breath, that pretty much means you and your team are grasping at straws to try to find a win and stay alive.

If nothing more, that announcement is further distraction (however minimal you think it might be) that Bathurst didn't need. It does no favours to the Titan and with Blain being another Oiler prospect, it does not favours to him either. What sort of message does that send to anyone else in that room, by announcing that signing on the day of a crucial fourth game, that after Roy can't stop a beachball for three games straight, he gets "rewarded" with a pro contract?

I appreciate the fact that Edmonton likely doesn't care about any sort of impact on when they chose to announce they signed him. But, in my opinion, it's poor timing. Do it when the series is over. If they win, do it between this series and the next. Don't do it right before him and his team are hitting the ice and facing elimination.

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
You forgot:

And this kid, who failed you in the most important time, hurt your future because you traded two first picks, a second pick, a third pick and a fifth pick for him. One of the first picks is a 2012. You will probably finish the 2011-12 at the bottom of the standings and won't have the chance to draft a good prospect.

Pulled three times and didn't get the start in the fourth game.

But, but, but... he might start getting better at 25!

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
To be fair, before my comments get taken out of context and to the extreme:

I'm not saying that Bathurst lost the game because Roy signed that contract today.

All I'm saying is that it didn't help and it could have been easily avoided.

I will also admit that as soon as I heard about the signing and knowing what I know about Bathurst from covering the Q all season long, I was hardly surprised to hear that they lost the game.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Maybe one of their players promising a win and a comeback on Twitter has not helped either...

He deleted his tweet though! :laugh:

insider

Nov 14, 2003
You forgot:

And this kid, who failed you in the most important time, hurt your future because you traded two first picks, a second pick, a third pick and a fifth pick for him. One of the first picks is a 2012. You will probably finish the 2011-12 at the bottom of the standings and won't have the chance to draft a good prospect.

Pulled three times and didn't get the start in the fourth game.

But, but, but... he might start getting better at 25!

Your bias is sickening.

Draft picks don't really matter to Bathurst. They've never drafted well anyway. Although it was a heavy price to pay, you can't put that on Olivier. That's the GMs fault.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
How is it a bias saying this trade will hurt Bathurst down the line?

It's a fact.

It isn't the GM fault if he underperformed... like it isn't Roy's fault if the GM traded big for him. The truth is, Couturier and Bathurst have that kind of history and Roy has proved many times that he can't perform under pressure.

I have been thinking the same thing for a couple of years... Roy is overrated. If you don't agree, good for you. But don't tell me I have bias just because you don't agree with me.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
To be fair, before my comments get taken out of context and to the extreme:

I'm not saying that Bathurst lost the game because Roy signed that contract today.

All I'm saying is that it didn't help and it could have been easily avoided.

I will also admit that as soon as I heard about the signing and knowing what I know about Bathurst from covering the Q all season long, I was hardly surprised to hear that they lost the game.

Maybe they did it to help Roy's confidence. He just melted down, and blew his team's shot at a playoff run, then he is back up for his final junior game, and his confidence is crushed. The Oilers contract timing might be a way to show that they still believe in him, and may possibly keep his confidence from falling right off a cliff.

The Oilers don't owe anything to Bathurst.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad