Olivier Roy's playoffs woes

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Is he playing his way out of a contract with the Oilers? He has been brutal so far in the playoffs (2 losses, 5.89 , 0.762). He was pulled both times. His team is supposed to be the favorite against Victoriaville (6th vs 11th). I think his coach will go with the 17 yo back up tomorrow. He is proving once again he can't handle pressure...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yikes. I'm still mad that Pickard was left off the WJ team.

Ogopogo*

There was a time when I thought Roy was the future in goal for the Oilers. I am starting to think that ain't gonna be the case anymore.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think we'll sign him but he's got a lot of developement to do. I didn't expect him to be so bad at the WJ's.

Thank god we drafted Bunz last year. At least we have some decent young goalies before Roy.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I think we'll sign him but he's got a lot of developement to do. I didn't expect him to be so bad at the WJ's.

Thank god we drafted Bunz last year. At least we have some decent young goalies before Roy.

I'm wondering what kind of development he could have. He was a good goalie at 16 but he hasn't improved much since then. To me, he still looks like the goalie he was at 16.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Thank god we drafted Bunz last year.
At least we have some decent young goalies before Roy.

The guy that got the hook for Medicine Hat after getting whipped by Brandon in game 1? :)

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
So many people destroyed Jake Allen last year after the WJC, and he proved this year that 6 games doesn't dictate a goalies career. He was bad, but has shown a lot of consistency in junior, so I'm hopeful with the proper instruction he can improve a lot over the next few years.

He will never be a big goalie, but you can't teach those kind of reflexes either, so he seems pretty hit or miss at this point. The odds are stacked against him, so who knows.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
So many people destroyed Jake Allen last year after the WJC, and he proved this year that 6 games doesn't dictate a goalies career. He was bad, but has shown a lot of consistency in junior, so I'm hopeful with the proper instruction he can improve a lot over the next few years.

He will never be a big goalie, but you can't teach those kind of reflexes either, so he seems pretty hit or miss at this point. The odds are stacked against him, so who knows.

Jake Allen had one bad appearance in an important game.

Olivier Roy has had several bad appearances in important games over the past few years.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Jake Allen had one bad appearance in an important game.

Olivier Roy has had several bad appearances in important games over the past few years.

One game? he was average at best all tournament and got yanked in the most important game of his career. The point is you can't write-off a player before he even turns 20 years old.

As for these "several" games over the years, there is really nothing you can say to prove that a few bad games over the years is any different than any other goalie. I saw Carey Price get yanked in junior, it's happened to MAF, it's happened to every single goalie in the NHL, you have to base a guys junior career as a whole.

Roy's numbers are very solid over his junior career as a whole, and of course there are bad games mixed in there, but we won't have any idea how good this kid will be till he's at least 25 years old. Goalies like Price, who come into the league at a very young age, aren't the norm and are more of an exception to the rule.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I have seen Roy play for 4 years now and I haven't seen a real progression so far. Your point is... maybe he'll start progressing at 25?

This board is all about judging prospects. That's what I did.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I have seen Roy play for 4 years now and I haven't seen a real progression so far. Your point is... maybe he'll start progressing at 25?

This board is all about judging prospects. That's what I did.

You also suggested something as ridiculous as the Oilers not even offering a 20 year old goalie a minor league contract because of a few bad games, is that really a fair judgement?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Not a fan of his game from the brief viewings I've had, but I wouldn't completely write the kid off. What I'd do is view him exactly as he should be viewed - as a 5th rd pick that has some promise. The majority of guys picked this late wouldn't even warrant a thread by virtue of anonymity. He at least will be given an AHL try-out next year with a legit chance to be the back-up there.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Because he's done enough to earn one.

And because without him the Oilers may have exactly zero pro goaltender prospects next season.

I don't necessarily agree. He's shown little improvement since he first broke into the Q. Better off bringing a college goalie or a guy from europe if the oilers really need depth in the system.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't necessarily agree. He's shown little improvement since he first broke into the Q. Better off bringing a college goalie or a guy from europe if the oilers really need depth in the system.

There's no harm throwing him a contract.

Pitton's contract expires this year. Worst case scenario Roy takes his spot down in Stockton.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

There's not much difference between his junior numbers and MAF, and one of them was a 1st overall pick and the other was a 5th round pick, so I think he has at least done enough to earn a contract if he has a good camp.

It's gonna be pretty tough to find a college or Euro goalie that has been any more consistent or with any more upside lying around with no contract. We have JDD and Gerber, so Roy doesn't have to walk in and be the guy.

It's bad asset management not to let him earn the backup role, learn from a goalie who has played in the NHL, and work on his game over the next couple years.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

There's not much difference between his junior numbers and MAF, and one of them was a 1st overall pick and the other was a 5th round pick, so I think he has at least done enough to earn a contract if he has a good camp.

It's gonna be pretty tough to find a college or Euro goalie that has been any more consistent or with any more upside lying around with no contract. We have JDD and Gerber, so Roy doesn't have to walk in and be the guy.

It's bad asset management not to let him earn the backup role, learn from a goalie who has played in the NHL, and work on his game over the next couple years.
Right but MAF had a few things going for him. Size and athleticism being the biggest two. Roy just strikes me as a guy thats not particularly big or athletic. I suppose we don't have a ton to lose by signing him but I don't really think he's that good a prospect and I think theres a lot better ones out there that we don't need to use up a contract on him. I would not be surpised to see him signed however despite the fact that I don't think it's particularly wise.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Right but MAF had a few things going for him. Size and athleticism being the biggest two. Roy just strikes me as a guy thats not particularly big or athletic. I suppose we don't have a ton to lose by signing him but I don't really think he's that good a prospect and I think theres a lot better ones out there that we don't need to use up a contract on him. I would not be surpised to see him signed however despite the fact that I don't think it's particularly wise.

Well, I guess we differ on the fact you can find a more promising NHL prospect to take his contract. I think there are more ready AHL goalies and more promising AHL starters out there, perhaps playing in college or Europe, but I just don't see any of them being NHL quality or better upgrades to JDD or Gerber.
I guess perhaps it's just my philosophy that I don't want to be the idiot to give up on a 20 year old kid, only to have him turn out to be a good NHLer. If we are having this conversation when he is 25 years old, it makes sense.

If you are RIGHT, and there is a clear upgrade in college or Europe, then I would agree to making that type of swap, but until then might as well see what he can do in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad