Olivier Roy's playoffs woes

Zach and Slater

Jan 17, 2004
Alberta
Nah, I know that and so I went back and edited my post to make that clear.

In any case, I'm not a fan of announcing signings like that during the playoffs, at least not in the middle of a series, especially not at such a must-win situation like Bathurst was facing. Doesn't send the right message to the player or the team.

I can appreciate that the Edmonton Oilers don't care a lick about the Acadie-Bathurst Titan and the QMJHL playoffs, but still, it's just poor timing. Like I said, as soon as I heard about that signing, I knew Bathurst would lose tonight. Hell, Edmonton has another prospect with the Titan in Blain, who hasn't seen a lot of ice this year due to injury. I guess I just figured they'd think of these things a little.

Wait a damn minute. Who's to say that this wasn't an ongoing contract negotication that he's had his mind on?!?! He maybe, JUST MAYBE wouldn't have been worried that a contract wouldn't get done and he would have to go back in the draft?! You accuse the Oilers of doing this, you have ABSOLUTLY NO CLUE as to what has been going on behind the scenes.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Go read my first post. I didn't say he wouldn't be signed, I just asked a question.

I've read it. You suggested there was even a chance he could play his way out of a contract. His signing today proves there was zero chance of that happening. An organization would never make a decision on the future of a 20 year old goalie based on a handful of games. His work as a whole over the last 4 years has earned him a contract. If he never ends up in the NHL it won't shock me at all, but at least he has earned a chance.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Wait a damn minute. Who's to say that this wasn't an ongoing contract negotication that he's had his mind on?!?! He maybe, JUST MAYBE wouldn't have been worried that a contract wouldn't get done and he would have to go back in the draft?! You accuse the Oilers of doing this, you have ABSOLUTLY NO CLUE as to what has been going on behind the scenes.

He's a 19-year-old kid who just got signed to his first pro contract. You think he's sitting at the table beside his agent while the talks are happening with Olczyk or Sillinger or whoever else was involved from Edmonton?

Roy likely had only the slightest inkling that the negotiations were even taking place until the point that they sat him down to go over a mutually agreed upon contract and get his signature at the bottom.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
He's a 19-year-old kid who just got signed to his first pro contract. You think he's sitting at the table beside his agent while the talks are happening with Olczyk or Sillinger or whoever else was involved from Edmonton?

Roy likely had only the slightest inkling that the negotiations were even taking place until the point that they sat him down to go over a mutually agreed upon contract and get his signature at the bottom.

His client needed to be consulted on the matter prior to the agent fully agreeing to terms. I really don't care about the timing other than the fact that the Oiler management knew his time was coming to an end for the season and they want him Stockton playing pro. That is if Pitton plays in Oklahoma with Gerber injured. I personally hope it's Oklahoma to give his confidence a real boost and his mental focus back on track. Makes sense for the timing to me. Contract negotiations are an after thought. Roy just wasn't focused. He may have not known too much but that Edmonton wanted him in their minors when he was finished....

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Out of curiosity, why do you have such a vendetta against Roy?

Having an opinion about a player is having a vendetta?

It's not like I started a Facebook campaign to have him resign from hockey...

We're talking about a hockey prospect on a hockey board in the prospects section! The coincidence!

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Roy will need a full technical overhaul if he has any chance at being an NHL regular even as a back up.

Plus, he will need to get A LOT tougher mentally. His last 2 playoffs and the WJHC have been brutal.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I couldn't stop thinking about this thread and finally went and found it.

This years playoffs in the ECHL thus far he's 4-1-0 .941Save% with a 1.75GAA

He's been excellent this season in the ECHL with 40GP 16-18-5 .925% and a 2.49GAA
Also got 3 games in the AHL (2 games worth of minutes) 1-0-0 .937% and a 2.34GAA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->