WJC: Olivier Roy or Mark Visentin as starter for Team Canada

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Visentin's the better prospect IMO, but I think Roy gets the call. I remember feeling similarly about Bernier and Mason years ago, I thought Bernier was the better prospect but he lost and Mason won.

the word*

I think Roy showing well against much tougher competition decides this question for me. Also, Visentin wasn't very positionally sound for much of his start against the Swiss and fumbled the puck in the crease and behind the net on several occasions. Those mistakes would have cost Canada against the Swedes.

Roy's rebound control may have been a bit lacking in the first period against the Swedes, but Visentin didn't show much rebound control against a much weaker opponent with the Swiss.

Team Canada's coaching staff must have broken down the video many times by now and IMO the decision should be pretty much unanimous. I find it funny that the TSN analysts want to make this a difficult decision when Roy appears to be the obvious choice.

I should have made this thread a poll. If a mod could edit this thread and make it a poll I would be thankful.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
I'd think Visentin probably had a bit of a lead going into the pre-tourney games, that Roy now has a bit of a lead, and that performance in the last game against the Fins will decide for sure.
That is if they both play in the Finland game.

I sure don't see it as an obvious choice at this point though.

p.s. I also think if it is a really tight decision you go with the guy that won't get another shot next year.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Just curious to those who say Visentin is the "better" prospect:hows that so?

the word*

Just curious to those who say Visentin is the "better" prospect:hows that so?

I don't really think we should get into that argument now. It's all about winning gold for Canada now. These players represent Canada, and if Canada is to succeed, we need great goaltending throughout the tournament.

I made my vote thinking of Canada's best chance to win it all.

Thanks to whichever mod turned this into a poll.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I hate the way Visentin keeps trying to handle the puck.

TBH, neither goalie has really impressed me thus far, but I think Roy will get the nod.

feichter

Apr 2, 2006
I want to say Roy, b/c I truly believe he is a hair more talented then Vis. HOWEVER...the gap is not that far, and Vis showed that quiet, relaxed composure that cannot be undervalued in a tourney like this. I think it may possibly be like the year that Bernier (the more talented G at that time) got supplanted by a more consistent one in Steve Mason. Really not a bad prob to have, IMO.
-Matt.

Daryl

Jul 22, 2010
Most probable prediction is Roy. Although I saw an interview where Canadas head coach said it is a tough decision.

They'll probably take everything in count before deciding who gets the nod.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Ambivalent.

It's a toss up, and equal. Regardless of who's in net, Canada has the same outcome IMO. The TSN pieces about this "last question" feel so contrived and irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad