WJC: Olivier Roy or Mark Visentin as starter for Team Canada

Aug 3, 2010
I wonder if any of our posters are being swayed, even if by a little bit, by the last names of the goaltenders?

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
still roy for me. Canada heavily favors the vet, and he looked more comfortable in nets vs sweden than vis did even against switzerland. Roy's obviously going to get to play the russians and he's going to need to make some major mistakes to lose the job.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Gotta roll with Roy now, I would think. Between the two teams Canada played that were actually a challenge (all due respect to the Swiss) Roy was more impressive against Sweden than Visentin was against Finland. It's not a hell of a lot to go on, but that's all we have so far, and it is what it is.

HemskyToHall*

It's Roy's job to lose, but that doesn't mean he is the better prospect.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i dont think we should really care who the better prospect is at this point. Jeff ****ing glass won chl goalie of the year and took canada to gold with a 5-0 record. Look where he is now.

I want whichever goalie gives us the better chance to win now in the net, and that looks like roy to me.

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
Roy has looked like the best goalie by far. I'll be pissed if he isn't starting boxing day.

Sep 23, 2005
Hamilton
Just playing devils advocate here but as a goalie I think it is a lot easier to play in a game where you are getting consistent shots on goal. Not to say Roy didn't play better in his 1 start then Visentin's shakier 2 starts. I think Roy will start on Boxing Day but Visentin is more than capable of playing at any point in the tournament. I would not be nervous with either in net to be perfectly honest.

ThePresent83

Jul 8, 2009
Sherwood Park
Just playing devils advocate here but as a goalie I think it is a lot easier to play in a game where you are getting consistent shots on goal. Not to say Roy didn't play better in his 1 start then Visentin's shakier 2 starts. I think Roy will start on Boxing Day but Visentin is more than capable of playing at any point in the tournament. I would not be nervous with either in net to be perfectly honest.

I agree with this... i would pick roy based on what we've seen so far (also have oilers bias) but i think we're splitting hairs when it comes down to the talent level. If Roy doesnt play, i will be sad that an oilers prospect isnt playing, but i certainly wouldnt think we were in any danger, Visentin is more than capable.

So long as Hamilton gets to play with Couturier :D

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Shakier two starts? One game was a shutout!

I don't think there is a huge gap between Visentin and Roy. Both let in one weak goal during their time in the pre-tournament games. Both have looked solid but not spectacular. I'm more worried about the defense in front and the lack of a clutch scorer on Canada's team than I am the goaltending at this point.

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
I wonder if any of our posters are being swayed, even if by a little bit, by the last names of the goaltenders?

They (Olivier and Patrick) aren't related in anyway and I don't think anyone has tried to even suggest that they are. I don't see how anyone is being swayed.

Rabb

Dec 16, 2010
Toronto
Roy looked really solid in his pre-tournament games, excellent rebound control and when he did let out any he was in perfect position to get the second save. Visentin looked a bit shaky against Finland but i have seen him play before and he is probably equal to what Roy showed us so it should be interesting as to who wins the battle down the road.

But for now, Roy.

Ps: Zach Kassian. wow. I know its off topic but i feel like this kid is going to be the next star power forward in the NHL, like an Iginla but with more talent.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
They (Olivier and Patrick) aren't related in anyway and I don't think anyone has tried to even suggest that they are. I don't see how anyone is being swayed.

Its not the fact they aren't related, but the way some posters are acting, its like Roy is outplaying Visentin by a large margine, which simply isn't true. The name could be the diffrence, even though everyone should know they aren't related, the name could be a part of the reason Roy is winning this poll by so much.

I honestly think Visentin is going to start. Cameron has seen him a lot more than Roy, and is very high on him. The camp Vistentin outplayed Roy a little bit, and this Pre-Tournement games its even with maybe a slighly edge to Roy.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
As Coyotes fan that wanted to see Visentin grab the spot outright I think I'd start out with Roy. He did look a little more solid in his start and he is the 19 year old, and all things being equal that should count for something.

That said if Roy doesn't do well I think Vis can come in and be a better than good option as well.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
i dont think we should really care who the better prospect is at this point. Jeff ****ing glass won chl goalie of the year and took canada to gold with a 5-0 record. Look where he is now.

I want whichever goalie gives us the better chance to win now in the net, and that looks like roy to me.

Lol! He took the free ride to the gold, given to him by Crosby, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Perry, Carter, Richards, Phaneuf, Weber and Seabrook

Aug 3, 2010

Oh, I know, but just a matter of hearing the name again at that position.

I have no real preference myself, but Visentin did pull off a shutout and another win against Finland to Roy's stronger performance vs the well-played Swedes... seems just about even to me, but more people clamour, "Roy, Roy!"

Just a thought.
Again, mostly don't care, it's just an observation... although to be honest I feel bad for Roy and Mike Brodeur, too. Names are just names, but sometimes they're hard to live up to, especially for those who coincidentally play the same position.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Oh, I know, but just a matter of hearing the name again at that position.

I have no real preference myself, but Visentin did pull off a shutout and another win against Finland to Roy's stronger performance vs the well-played Swedes... seems just about even to me, but more people clamour, "Roy, Roy!"

Just a thought.
Again, mostly don't care, it's just an observation... although to be honest I feel bad for Roy and Mike Brodeur, too. Names are just names, but sometimes they're hard to live up to, especially for those who coincidentally play the same position.

I'm fairly certain almost any CHL goalie would have had a shut out agains the Swiss, there was literally three shots of any significance the entire game. The only good save he had to make he didn't even make the Swiss player missed the net.

Honestly, Roy played better, and against the best team. I go with Roy. I'm a big fan of both players, but Roy I feel more comfortable with today.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Still don't understand this mentality...because he was drafted in the first round?

Nobody was more critical of the Visentin selection than myself but his stats (3rd in save percentage, 1st in Goal Against Average) in the OHL this season have been very impressive. Nobody anticipated he even had a shot at making this WJC team ahead of goalies who were highly touted like Pickard and now he's delivered a shutout and sits with 2 wins and a .950 save percentage and is being strongly considered as the team's starting netminder over another goalie that is a year older and more experienced in Oliver Roy.

Last edited:

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Still don't understand this mentality...because he was drafted in the first round?
And has better stats all around, at a younger age?

I haven't seen either play live so I'll just have to go with the experts. The ones that drafted him much earlier even if it was considered a stretch. I guess we'll really know in about 4 or 5 years. Doesn't matter for this tournament.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Roy looked really solid in his pre-tournament games, excellent rebound control and when he did let out any he was in perfect position to get the second save. Visentin looked a bit shaky against Finland but i have seen him play before and he is probably equal to what Roy showed us so it should be interesting as to who wins the battle down the road.

But for now, Roy.

Ps: Zach Kassian. wow. I know its off topic but i feel like this kid is going to be the next star power forward in the NHL, like an Iginla but with more talent.

Kassian more talented than Iginla? :amazed:

He does not posses the shot or skating ability that Iginla had at that age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad