Player Discussion Oliver Kylington

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I hate to make this about me, but people used to consistently @ me for calling Oliver a #1D and Bennett a #C

Something vindicating about both guys finally starting to get freed, albeit one guy on the wrong team and the other guy still needs special teams icetime.

Kind of looks like Blake Coleman might even end the Curse of the Spulll

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I hate to make this about me, but people used to consistently @ me for calling Oliver a #1D and Bennett a #C

Something vindicating about both guys finally starting to get freed, albeit one guy on the wrong team and the other guy still needs special teams icetime.

Kind of looks like Blake Coleman might even end the Curse of the Spulll
Hey now, I've been a fan of Kylington since his draft year.

Don't have a clue what a Spull is though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Shocking that fans saw more in him than Ward did

To be fair, Sutter saw the same thing.
His progress this year has been outstanding. He took a massive leap in the summer; I assume it’s the first time a coach has told him exactly what he’s needed to be a regular.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Don't have a clue what a Spull is though.

Spulll = Small Paul = Paul Byron

Curse of the Spull = never had a truly speedy shutdown guy in the depth parts of the lineup since Byron got waived. There was Tobias Rieder, and we won the play-in, but then we lost the actual playoff round and it was revealed that the Curse of the Spull was live and well.

We've cycled through all these other guys, Troy Brouwer, Joakim Nordstrom, Trevor Lewis... but the Curse of the Spulll is why the Flames have had no playoff series wins since Paul Byron was waived. Despite some really good rosters, it was always things no one saw coming, Elliott having the worst goaltending performance in playoff history in 2017, whole #1 seed team getting dominated by an 8 seed in 2019, Talbot choking a 3 goal lead in 2020. We're cursed.

Meanwhile Paul Byron's team rubbed it in our face last year by directly taking our playoff spot and getting to the SCF where they had no business being.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
His progress this year has been outstanding. He took a massive leap in the summer; I assume it’s the first time a coach has told him exactly what he’s needed to be a regular.

I honestly don't think Sutter has done much he was simply forced into giving Kylington a chance because of how 1 dimensional and slow this D core is. I think Kylington just needed some actual nhl experience. I give Sutter credit for admitting there wasn't 6 defenseman better than Kylington but if Ward had given Kylington this type of experience we would have seen Kylington improve last year.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Kylington was hid for expansion reasons. Sutter went on record to compliment his game when he dressed him. Then he never returned from the pressbox

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think Kylington was hid for expansion reasons. Sutter went on record to compliment his game when he dressed him. Then he never returned from the pressbox
I don't believe the team that played Sean "I can't walk to or from the ice rink" Monahan hid anyone from the expansion. They simply didn't think he was that good last year.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I honestly don't think Sutter has done much he was simply forced into giving Kylington a chance because of how 1 dimensional and slow this D core is. I think Kylington just needed some actual nhl experience. I give Sutter credit for admitting there wasn't 6 defenseman better than Kylington but if Ward had given Kylington this type of experience we would have seen Kylington improve last year.

Yup if we still had Giordano, Kylington would still be buried and the Volica types would be bashing Kylington's play (from the pressbox lmao) and talking about he ain't good enough

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Much easier and simpler to believe the Flames didn't have much faith in him. Peters had him playing on the bottom pairing up until Treliving threw away a bunch of picks on pointless journeymen defensemen at two successive deadlines. Treliving's also reportedly tried to trade him a bunch of times. Ward just flat out didn't like him (nor Bennett).

I don't agree with everything Sutter's does and has done but it's pretty clear he's evolved a lot since 2005, a trait you'll generally only see in elite coaches. Since LA, he seems to recognize the importance of speed and having puck-moving defensemen in the modern game.

To be honest, outside of Sutter, I'm not convinced the organization still has a lot of faith in him. And then even, Sutter hasn't been shy with his criticism.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I think this is a big part of it. I remember in the off season that Kylington said that Sutter sat him down, and told him exactly what he wanted out of him if he was going to play. Low and behold, Kylington worked on it, and he gets to play.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What is his contract status?

Might as well him the Andersson contract now or it could get pricey. He becomes a multi millionaire. We get our second top pair LD under contract long term. That’s a win win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad