Player Discussion Oliver Kylington

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
If we sign Hamonic I definitely see a trade. Either Hanifin of Kyl. And I do not like that idea, unless Hammer comes back at the league minimum.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Ras definitely has a good shot, but I’m still more impressed by Oliver’s when I see it. Hanifin has a shot like Jbo. And I haven’t seen enough from Valimaki to really say anything with confidence.

Kylington is one of our better players at actually having a shot that an opposing team would need to defend. I’m fine with someone saying they think Ras has a better one, but I think it’s a debate for sure.

And on your other point, I don’t want Hamonic back either. Yeah I love him, but what cap are we clearing for him? Rittich, no thanks. Ryan, no thanks, honestly Looch is more valuable to this team.
We may not have to clear any if the rumors are true of the extended rosters, just be compliant on the game day lineup. Regardless, I think the team needs stability, distraction free. For the record Mangi has the best one timer on the team, something we could use some more of.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
In on Hamonic only confirms we aren't bringing Stone back and he might retire due to injuries.... I think...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This season will be more of a track meet than pure tactical hockey. Not utilizing a speedster in Kylington in favour of some glorified shot blockers would be peak Flames

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
He put up 7 points last year...just saying....I don't want to see him in the top 4

Gio/Ras
Hani/Tan
Vali/XX/XX

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He put up 7 points last year...just saying....I don't want to see him in the top 4

Gio/Ras
Hani/Tan
Vali/XX/XX

Thats nothing to write home about, but he only played a half season, and he was paired with not very good mates, wasn’t in many offensive situations and barley got any PP time. My point is, it’s hard to judge him on his offensive ability if he’s not getting quality opportunities.

He needs to be better, no question. But I also think this is a kid who has a ton of room to grow. Andersson played in 40% more games and had far more quality opportunities and much better mates and recorded 22 points. Oliver isn’t there yet and shouldn’t get the same opportunity until it’s earned, but I think it’s worth discussing.

Reactions: Mobiandi and Nanuuk

Bond

May 10, 2012
I think he will get the Kulak treatment after the expansion draft. Flames management doesn't seem to trust him.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
So... what's up with this guy? Will he play a game for the Flames in 2021? I always liked him and in fact, traded for him in my fantasy league. That he hasn't played a single game since the season has me concerned for his development.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So... what's up with this guy? Will he play a game for the Flames in 2021? I always liked him and in fact, traded for him in my fantasy league. That he hasn't played a single game since the season has me concerned for his development.
This coaching staff and management have decided that he's #9 on the depth chart. So probably not.

Next season he'll probably head back to Europe.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Ward makes it looks like he has a solid D that Kylington cant crack.

His D is full of holes ....lol

Kylington could skate laps around most of this D core with the puck on his stick and his head up

It's not just Ward though

Huska has always had beef with Kylington even in the AHL. Oliver didn't finally start getting an opportunity at that level until MacLean took over.

Reactions: DFF

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
So... what's up with this guy? Will he play a game for the Flames in 2021?

giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Kylington could skate laps around most of this D core with the puck on his stick and his head up

It's not just Ward though

Huska has always had beef with Kylington even in the AHL. Oliver didn't finally start getting an opportunity at that level until MacLean took over.

Godmode 3rd pairing:

Ky - Va

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Mehhhhhh

Our #6d is hardly the problem here. I get that OKG likes to pick his fights over stuff like this but gimme a break. Our fwd group is total ass and he ain't solving that.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
You know when he's gone for a bag of cheetos we'll hear vague rumors about his character. he probably had a dissonant attitude when we lost and didn't make the right faces when the other team put the rubber in our net. Bad for our identity and culture.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You know when he's gone for a bag of cheetos we'll hear vague rumors about his character. he probably had a dissonant attitude when we lost and didn't make the right faces when the other team put the rubber in our net. Bad for our identity and culture.

I agree with you but I don’t want to hear a single word from this management about character anymore. It’s all bs and lip service to me at this point.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Mehhhhhh

Our #6d is hardly the problem here. I get that OKG likes to pick his fights over stuff like this but gimme a break. Our fwd group is total ass and he ain't solving that.

Our D core sucks without TJ Brodie.

That is a fact.

Watch the product on the ice, without Brodie to literally compensate for Ward's horrible systems, we have no breakout plan.

Kylington is the ONLY defenseman in this organization with TJ Brodie's skillset.

Andersson can't skate like Kylington.

Hanifin can't think like Kylington. Yes, Kylington whose hockey sense gets questioned by certain people has better hockey sense than Noah Hanifin, who needs an absolutely perfect Lidstrom-esque partner to be useful.

Tanev is a defensive defenseman. On a good team he is a solid #4. I compare him to Hjalmarsson on those great Blackhawks teams. He's not Keith, he's not Seabrook, and he's not Campbell. And while there's nothing wrong with his game, he's not a player you rely on to carry the 200 foot load.

Giordano is our worst defenseman right now. I love the guy, but he can't carry his D pair and he really misses TJ Brodie.

Nesterov is a vanilla bottom pair guy. I have no problem with him in the lineup but he doesn't elevate anyone else and he doesn't dictate the flow of the game. He's basically a poor man's Brett Kulak.

Valimaki is the closest talent-wise to Kylington but he's actually not as polished as Kylington, I know certain people don't see it but when Kylington is on his game and not being dragged down by an AHL tier partner he is actually a really effective player. Of course Oliver has games where he's bad, all defensemen do, and yes Oliver is not as good as Valimaki at making offensive plays at the blue line out of the cycle, but they're two different players. Going back to those great blackhawks teams, you can likely Valimaki to Seabrook when Seabrook was a great and mobile player, and you can liken Kylington to Campbell or Keith stylistically even if you're reticent to give Kylington any credit for talent.

Stylistically alone, having a defenseman who is the second fastest player in the entire division on the ice is more valuable than having a few pieces like Gio and Nesterov just plugged in.

I don't hate Hanifin, actually his pair with Tanev has been our most steady, but steady doesn't cut it, you need dynamic.

Kylington, Valimaki, and Andersson are our three most dynamic defenseman.

Andersson is being dragged down by Giordano.

Valimaki is solid, but he's not at an elite level just yet.

Kylington is absolutely someone who will help this team win. Go back to the Flames' play in 2018 before the all star break, when we won the west. Kylington was a lineup staple and we were playing exciting hockey. And then we bring in Fantenberg to replace him because some analytics guys don't know how to evaluate the kid and Huska has always hated the kid and we start playing a horrible style that carried through into the 2019 playoffs. Same story last year, Kylington had a low on-ice shooting percentage so the offense wasn't there but he was steady steady steady especially on a pair with Rasmus Andersson. He didn't have a good partner whenenever Andersson got promoted to top four because he was always being dragged down by Mike Stone, so the analytics without Andersson suffered. So they bring in a couple more guys in Gustaffsson and Forbort who... were not better than Kylington. Gustaffsson was productive yes but made Kylington look like Lidstrom defensively. And Forbort was a guy who should have been Kylington's partner, yet the two never even played together.

The team has been as clueless about what they have in Oliver Kylington as they have been with Sam Bennett.

Give him Chris Tanev and 20 minutes a night with a long leash and he will get the kind of confidence needed to become a bonafide number one defenseman. He'll make some mistakes, all top players do, and no one will bat an eyelash. his floor is Jon Klingberg in an expanded role and his ceiling is higher than that as he is actually a strong penalty killer, something the last two coaching staffs have failed to try him in.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He'll make some mistakes, all top players do, and no one will bat an eyelash. his floor is Jon Klingberg in an expanded role and his ceiling is higher than that as he is actually a strong penalty killer, something the last two coaching staffs have failed to try him in.

To be honest, you have some great points but when you say something like that, nobody takes your post seriously.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I’m not near as high as you on Kylington OKG, but it makes zero sense even to me how he can’t get into the lineup. Currently, or prior years.

He had the highest upside out of defenceman in our prospect pool and now his perceived value is “waiver fodder”. Absolute waste of an asset. Like, he’s an everyday NHL player right now. Just think of what he could have been if he got a chance to play

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I’m not near as high as you on Kylington OKG, but it makes zero sense even to me how he can’t get into the lineup. Currently, or prior years.

He had the highest upside out of defenceman in our prospect pool and now his perceived value is “waiver fodder”. Absolute waste of an asset. Like, he’s an everyday NHL player right now. Just think of what he could have been if he got a chance to play

He is no where near a complete dman and his skills is overhyped by certain people but yes, make no sense they dont even give him a chance. It's not like they have a good defense.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Cant be worse than Mackey.
Or maybe he can be. Dunno. Try something different.

and no. He’s not our best dman who for reasons is superior to the other under 24 years old who have been good for us. But whatever pushes that narrative another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad