Salary Cap: Oliver Ekman-Larsson

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I just wonder who plays the tough minutes for us. Who kills penalties? Who takes the D zone matchup ice time? We have Hughes, Rathbone, Schmidt, and OEL who are all PP puck moving types. Makes me think that Schmidt is still on his way out, idk. Still think the D needs some tweaking.

Anyway I obviously hope he finds new life here. As it stands this is a very risky acquisition.
Pretty fair summary imo. I’d preferred to have got a less offensive guy who is a better defender. I think OEL could be a decent pick up for a team that needs another puck mover assuming he rebounds. But on Vancouver the mix on D is not very good. We really need a young Tanev. And another physical guy imo.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
We literally MUST trade Schmidt to sign Petey and Hughes. Don't think Hamonic asks for a reasonable enough number to keep him either.
We have 18m currently not including the inevitable buyout of Virtanen
Realistically that’s enough for all three of EP Hughes and Garland
Holtby is probably gone

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Just like spring rain! In comes OEL at a discount, Garland, probably (!) and you get rid of Loui Eriksson and some other salary cap misfits. Höglander and Elias Pettersson won't mind this move. At all. There's a new sheriff in town. OEL was slightly exhausted is my thought. Not anymore.

Last edited:

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008
I want to say I'm baffled but it's Benning. It is still astonishing that he keeps targeting 'point producing D-men' when we need defensemen than can play defense. Hughes obviously but also getting Myers and Schmidt.

Go Kraken.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
We have 18m currently not including the inevitable buyout of Virtanen
Realistically that’s enough for all three of EP Hughes and Garland
Holtby is probably gone
Realistically we need to fill out spots on our defense and bottom 6 now. If I'm guessing low end or bridges lets say 7.5 for Petey and 7 for Hughes. Thats 14.5 + 5M for Garland which would take us over the cap. We need to find some defenders that will actually defend.

Reactions: Nucker101

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
We literally MUST trade Schmidt to sign Petey and Hughes. Don't think Hamonic asks for a reasonable enough number to keep him either.

we don’t have to if you bridge them you can work about 13-14 million combined provided we dump hotlby. This is with garland at 5 million and Dickinson at 2.5.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Who plays on our 4th line? and on D?
Those number I quoted would about 1 million for a 4th liner, 1.3 for a 6th d and a 750-800k for 7th D.

it’s going to be tight most likely we pay to dump holtby with more picks and trade Schmidt for a slightly cheaper stay at home Dman.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Don't have to. I just worked through capfriendly where I entered the following:

Pettersson: $7M Bridge
Hughes: $5.5M Bridge
Garland: $4M
Dickinson: $2.5M
4C: $1M
Bottom pairing RHD: $1.5M

This all works under the cap with Schmidt on the roster provided Virtanen and Holtby are bought out (and Holtby is replaced with $1M Back-up or DiPietro). I'm not sure Sutter and Hamonic would sign for $1M and $1.5M respectively. But if either Virtanen or Holtby are traded instead of being bought out then $2M for Sutter and $2M for Hamonic is realistic. More than that and I would look elsewhere for the 4C and 3rd pairing RHD.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

This all works under the cap with Schmidt on the roster provided Virtanen and Holtby are bought out (and Holtby is replaced with $1M Back-up or DiPietro). I'm not sure Sutter and Hamonic would sign for $1M and $1.5M respectively. But if eitehr Virtanen or Holtby are traded instead of being bought out then $2M for Sutter and $2M for Hamonic is realistic. More than that and I would look elsewhere for the 4C and 3rd pairing RHD.
Hughes is not signing for under 6M. Doubt Garland gets under 5.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This all works under the cap with Schmidt on the roster provided Virtanen and Holtby are bought out (and Holtby is replaced with $1M Back-up or DiPietro). I'm not sure Sutter and Hamonic would sign for $1M and $1.5M respectively. But if either Virtanen or Holtby are traded instead of being bought out then $2M for Sutter and $2M for Hamonic is realistic. More than that and I would look elsewhere for the 4C and 3rd pairing RHD.

The first 3 days there are all very optimistic to the tune of a total of $2-3 million.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Hughes is not signing for under 6M. Doubt Garland gets under 5.

The first 3 days there are all very optimistic to the tune of a total of $2-3 million.

disagree but I guess we'll see. In any case, if you're talking $1M to $2M, there are ways to manage that throughout the season with roster moves. Particularly with the AHL affiliate being in Abbotsford. The team could literally go with a 21 man roster for most of the season if they played it right (at least on paper).

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
"If this guy was playing out in the East, he'd be up for a Norris trophy every year."

"He's going to be a mentor, too, for Quinn Hughes and Petey. He can help mentor those guys."

- Jim Benning on Sportsnet 650 right now.

Reactions: Christina Woloski

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Realistically we need to fill out spots on our defense and bottom 6 now. If I'm guessing low end or bridges lets say 7.5 for Petey and 7 for Hughes. Thats 14.5 + 5M for Garland which would take us over the cap. We need to find some defenders that will actually defend.
I believe Ferland hasn’t been put on LTIR yet? So that’s another 3.5

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think OEL can bounce back and perform as a top 4 Dman on this team. He just won't be worth the money and his contract won't age well. The Canucks, for whatever reason, obviously really like him despite the passage of time and another season where OEL wasn't very good.

Reactions: David71

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Only hope I have is playing in Arizona he gave up. Which is honestly a realistic possibility. Hoping he bounces back.

People thought the same thing about Brandon Saad after being traded from Columbus. Never really found that switch again like when he was a young player.

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Here's my alcohol laced hopium:
  • Playing on the Coyotes was difficult for him (ie. GM bailed, GM breaking the rules, constant struggles building the fanbase, management being off/on with the direction of the team, Tippett/Tocchet, pressure of captaincy), and maybe Vancouver can make it easier for him to be motivated and clear-headed
  • Green's strategy of mobile D-men everywhere who aren't 'strong' defensively is ahead of its time and is magically going to work now that we added just one more (provided we keep Schmidt)

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
"If this guy was playing out in the East, he'd be up for a Norris trophy every year."

"He's going to be a mentor, too, for Quinn Hughes and Petey. He can help mentor those guys."

- Jim Benning on Sportsnet 650 right now.
Ah yes, Genius Jimbo dumped several bad contracts, acquired a Top 6 winger and a Norris caliber defenseman for a few picks. :lol:

So bloody cringe, you have to laugh at how desperate he is in his messaging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad